Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

System76 Reportedly Developing Their Own Rust-Written Desktop, Not Based On GNOME

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Woot! Pop!_OS is quite polished. The only thing that would pull me toward Ubuntu proper would be ZFS. I'm excited to see where they go with this. There are always interesting DE/WM projects popping up that are a single person hobby project and never really go anywhere. A new entrant that sells real Linux computers for real dollar bucks, that also cares about their user feedback could do interesting things here. Bring it on System76!

Comment

Originally posted by Anvil View Post
      next you'll see System76 getting into bed with Devaun
      Seems unlikely when they use things like systemd-boot instead of the "oh balls there's a grub update, fingers crossed for no chroot required, no whammies no whammies..."

Comment

Jeremy, the lead Sys76 dev, is already involved with RedoxOS and orbtk. I bet they'll just get the RedoxOS code, port to Linux and change the workflow.

The Rust UI-Toolkit. Contribute to redox-os/orbtk development by creating an account on GitHub.

PS: Yes, I think that all this theming drama was because Jeremy thinks they will be fine without GNOME.
        Last edited by evasb; 06 November 2021, 11:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
          I wonder why has Phoronix not written an article on the GNOME theming dilemma.
          people's rant is not news worthy

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
            I wonder why has Phoronix not written an article on the GNOME theming dilemma.
            More interesting is IBM's recent mandate that Red Hat not hire any more senior devs (classic "new" IBM thinking there), and the other half of that process, namely that RH will be "encouraged" to get rid of as many devs as possible (preferably the most senior ones) to cut costs. The fallout from that is going to be "interesting", but hopefully the kernel team will survive mostly intact.

GNOME gives RH a potentially significant advantage, but could easily be on the chopping block if IBM decides it doesn't want to fund the desktop space. I don't think anyone would want any of those developers though: Canonical is the only company that might care at all, and given the history there it's unlikely they'd hire any of them. If they only axed half the GNOME team though, it wouldn't change anything: that's little enough for the current GNOME culture to continue as is.

systemd is probably safe. (If anything, the more pieces of userspace it corrupts the better the chances of "consulting" revenue for IBM).

Wayland will likely share whatever fate GNOME does, but it's certainly not going to be hard for an IBM beancounter to look at that and see a decade-plus long boondoggle.

"One man" projects like PipeWire are PROBABLY also safe, since in absolute terms they aren't big enough to draw attention, though that does also make them easy "wins" if the accountants are feeling petty enough.

What else does RH have going on?

Comment

Originally posted by evasb View Post
              Jeremy, the lead Sys76 dev, is already involved with RedoxOS and orbtk. I bet they'll just get the RedoxOS code, port to Linux and change the workflow.

The Rust UI-Toolkit. Contribute to redox-os/orbtk development by creating an account on GitHub.

PS: Yes, I think that all this theming drama was because Jeremy thinks they will be fine without GNOME.
              yet another toolkit to add to the mess of toolkits on linux. one of the biggest complaints with windows at the moment is lack of UI consistency with all the different interfaces. linux is no different. i'm all for desktop environment choices but i wish they would all agree on a single, standard toolkit they all follow. if system76 is going to use their own toolkit it just add more of a mess.

Comment

Michael
                Originally posted by phoronix View Post
                commented that System76 will be its own desktop
                Maybe they will have it?

Back to discussion: F - fragmentation.

Comment

It would be amusing if they come up with something great and Ubuntu eventually switches to their DE.

Comment

Seriously, I didn't hear about Pop!_OS anytime outside this site. Some trolls call KDE a Qt tech demo, but it's now very far from this, it became a beautiful, feature-rich, complete DE.

I bet this System76's DE will be not more than a tech demo of rust. But, hey, what they'll do when upstream rust will reject their requests / patches that will definitely come? They'll invent a new language?

Comment

Originally posted by yurikoles View Post
                      Michael

Maybe they will have it?

Back to discussion: F - fragmentation.
                      I'd be more worried about this if Linux was awash in great DEs. I don't think an overabundance of mediocre ones should be a barrier to entry.

Comment

Working...
                      X