Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

System76 Reportedly Developing Their Own Rust-Written Desktop, Not Based On GNOME

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Quote buttons are bugging out so, if this doesn't get marked as a reply to Khrundel and pal666, that's who I'm replying to. That said... First, the blog post I linked is by a Solus team member, not someone from System76. Second, there's a video of an Inkscape developer (an application, not a distro) expressing concerns about GNOME's community right in that. Third, when I said GNOME has a history of this, I wasn't talking purely about what's in that blog post. I'm talking about what I've observed over the last 20 years. They've always had these flaws. They've just been coming to the fore more as GNOME changed what they want to promise and it's suddenly misaligned with what everyone else had been trusting them to provide for the decades prior.

Comment

• Originally posted by pal666 View Post
      valve is leaving the sinking boat of windows, not gnome. and kde is similar to windows.
      system76 is joining graveyard of failed projects
      It is just a matter of time other companies will follow, it is not because Gnome is not good (which is actually true) or because Gnome devs are or were bullies; it is because IBM doesn't offer any guarantee to continue to inject money on Gnome or GTK as the old RH used to do.

Comment

so basically your chain of thought is bullshit because canonical(like all other gnome contributors) is fine with gnome and its theming. system76 didn't have vision to bring, only demands
        Canonical is not fine with Gnome, they just cope with it to limit financial losses. Temporary time out.
        But if they went the Unity way 11 years ago there is a reason. They're not profitable yet as I think they just barely broke even for the 1st time. But I'm sure they'll take on where they left when they have money to spare. They are way too different in their vision to get on the same bed for too long.
        And theming wise, they went a different route.

Comment

• Originally posted by ssokolow View Post
          Third, when I said GNOME has a history of this
          history of millions of happy users and two unhappy?

Comment

• Originally posted by Danielsan View Post
            it is because IBM doesn't offer any guarantee to continue to inject money on Gnome or GTK as the old RH used to do.
            but someone else guarantees to continue to inject money on kde?

Comment

• Originally posted by Mez' View Post
              Canonical is not fine with Gnome
              on the subject of theming they are fine

Comment

history of millions of happy users and two unhappy?
                "Our way or the highway" and variously abrasive or passive-aggressive as people when you disagreed. ...it just happened that, prior to GNOME 3, what they wanted was significantly more mainstream.

Comment

First, the blog post I linked is by a Solus team member, not someone from System76.
                  That is irrelevant. The whole situation is about system76 rant because it will be harder for them to apply their brand theme.
                  Originally posted by ssokolow View Post
                  Second, there's a video of an Inkscape developer (an application, not a distro) expressing concerns about GNOME's community right in that.
                  You owe me 10 minutes of my life. Never heard more bullshit. The funny thing is that this guy aknowledges that Gnome doing fine from technical and product quality perspective but "they don't listen to community". He suggests gnome to include more useless people who will vote, i.e. command. Well, he has a great future as a politician, I only can hope doesn't believe in this. Gnome doing fine from technical and product quality perspective BECAUSE they have their own vision and they don't do what "community" say. Especially when "community" is a guy from system76 who admits that theming is a problem but suggests to make exception for him, because he wants to brand his distro with theme.
                  Originally posted by ssokolow View Post
                  Third, when I said GNOME has a history of this, I wasn't talking purely about what's in that blog post. I'm talking about what I've observed over the last 20 years. They've always had these flaws. They've just been coming to the fore more as GNOME changed what they want to promise and it's suddenly misaligned with what everyone else had been trusting them to provide for the decades prior.
                  You can't just add "and they always were like that" and get away with it. This is an unfair argument.

By the way, you may remember news about bcachefs author trying to upstream his work into kernel. He tried several times and they just ignore him. And this is just another filesystem, it doesn't contradict kernel teams view on linux future, it doesn't break their efforts, and still they just don't accept pull request. Are you OK with it? Because you blame Gnome's developer for their refusal to merge patch which breaks their decision. Don't you think you have a huge bias against Gnome?

Comment

"Our way or the highway"
                    you've just described system76 behavior

Comment

but someone else guarantees to continue to inject money on kde?
                      KDE & QT are an European thing where RH has almost nothing to do with...

Become a supporting member and help fund KDE activities

By the way why throwing in KDE in here? Ah I forgot, is the default desktop on Valve Deck...

Comment

Working...
                      X