Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

System76 Reportedly Developing Their Own Rust-Written Desktop, Not Based On GNOME

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pWe00Iri3e7Z9lHOX2Qx View Post
    I'd be more worried about this if Linux was awash in great DEs. I don't think an overabundance of mediocre ones should be a barrier to entry.
    what makes you think their de will be less mediocre? all indication is it will be more mediocre
    Last edited by pal666; 07 November 2021, 10:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Vaporeon View Post
      As many times as it takes until we get wheels that actually work. Seriously I think we need more NIH for the Linux desktop and we might have been better off is Mir were not rejected and its original goal abandoned. "Wayland is a protocol XDDD" has worked exactly as well as I would have expected. Many years have passed, there is only one implementation that is worth a damn (wlroots) and we are still clinging to X in practice. I wonder how many more bi-weekly "KDE has had more Wayland fixes" articles will be written before KDE is properly usable? And as for GNOME, where do I even start? Sway is not for everyone so we are in dire need of a real alternative.
      so basically you are clueless, you are consistently wrong on everything, and you want to make things worse. i suggest you to stick to system76 offering rather than gnome(surely it will not need any fixes for coming decades, lol)

Comment

Originally posted by ColdDistance View Post

Do you have any source of that (because of Manjaro)?

He mentioned it on the WAN show (which I watch frequently) a couple of times.

Comment

Originally posted by omer666 View Post
          Let's hope they have a new approach to ergonomics and innovative ideas.
          lol, all they needed is to theme apps in different color to differentiate themselves from others. what business they have to do with ergonomics?
          Last edited by pal666; 07 November 2021, 10:56 PM.

Comment

Will be interesting to see how close it is to the current PopOS UI, since many people seem to really like that.

Will also be interesting to see performance.

Originally posted by mirmirmir View Post

people's rant is not news worthy
            Seems to work for the mainstream media.

Comment

Originally posted by Steffo View Post
              System76 has really talented engineers
              and no other gnome contributor has really talented engineers? what are you smoking?

Comment

I think it's time people stopped using hobbyist distros and used serious distros, not reskins or distros shilled by Youtubers like PopOS.

kT1Ookd.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by ColdDistance View Post

Do you have any source of that (because of Manjaro)?

Linus says 'Manjaro' and 'KDE' just after 44 minutes in this video, and he mentioned Manjaro and Kate in earlier pieces. I can't re-find the part where he mentions his DE getting uninstalled, but I'm certain I heard it, it may be in the following WAN show video. It's also possible he distro hopped or switched DEs, but I don't recall him saying so.

Comment

Originally posted by Mario Junior View Post
                    I think the popos developers were very upset that their system completely uninstalled gnome when installing steam from the terminal.

Otherwise, good luck reinventing the wheel.
                    I wouldn't say that we were "very upset". Linus was given the freedom of choice to choose to destroy his freedom. He chose the path of destruction, despite the stern warning from Apt the Wise that doing so would break his system, and therefore Apt carried out his wish as instructed. Apt took his system from this world as quickly as it had brought it.

Debian has something called "essential" packages. If you perform an action that would remove an essential package, it gives a very stern warning and asks you to type "Yes, do as I say!" in order to bypass the safety mechanism, and thereby destroying your system in the process. He humorously ignored the warning and typed that in, so he got what anyone familiar with Debian would have expected to happen.

Launchpad has an i386 allowlist where Canonical has to personally add a package and specific version of that package to this list, or else Launchpad will refuse to build that package even if a PPA requests to have that package built. An i386 systemd dependency that Steam depends on therefore was briefly missing until we found that Launchpad had purposely ignored the i386 builds.

Nonetheless, Linus' install died so that future Pop!_OS users will not be given that choice in the future. I have patched apt so that the prompt is no longer an option. At least not an option unless you know the secret file to create. It will instead warn that doing so would have broken the system, and aborted. Furthermore, we are moving away from Launchpad with Impish, so issues with missing i386 dependencies are going to be a thing of the past to begin with. And finally, QA added Steam to the systemd check list, so they'll verify that systemd updates are working with Steam.
                    Last edited by mmstick; 07 November 2021, 11:12 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                      even ubuntu didn't have enough manpower and returned to gnome
                      i think there were more Gnome Fans at Ubuntu than Unity so Gnome got more love than Unity ever did

Comment

Working...
                      X