Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

System76 Reportedly Developing Their Own Rust-Written Desktop, Not Based On GNOME

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• System76 Reportedly Developing Their Own Rust-Written Desktop, Not Based On GNOME

Phoronix: System76 Reportedly Developing Their Own Rust-Written Desktop, Not Based On GNOME

System76's Pop!_OS Linux distribution already has their own "COSMIC" desktop that is based on GNOME, but moving ahead they are working on their own Rust-written desktop that is not based on GNOME or any existing desktop environment...

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...w-Rust-Desktop

next you'll see System76 getting into bed with Devaun

Comment

Originally posted by Anvil View Post
      next you'll see System76 getting into bed with Devaun
      Why the hell not? Lots of people would love that.

Comment

Didn't Jeremy talk about this on twitter a month or two ago, rust, custom DE, and all? I can't remember if the plan was a 100% custom DE but this all definitely sounds familiar.

Comment

*Unity and Mir flashbacks*

Comment

some recent friction between Pop!_OS and GNOME developers over their approach to theming and customizations
            Who wouldhavethunk?

It will be interesting to see how it pans out, writing a whole DE properly is no easy feat. Best of luck.

Comment

I like using stuff written in rust, but I'd more prefer system76 to support secure/verified boot and a TPM with measured boot.

Comment

not based on GNOME or any existing desktop environment
                I wonder just how much do they intend to re-invent the wheel?

Comment

I had never tested it, but people seems to like their current offering, especially the mods to simplify the user life. Let see what will come out of this.

Comment

Originally posted by Chugworth View Post
                    I wonder just how much do they intend to re-invent the wheel?
                    system76 ain't the first to reinvent the wheel, Ubuntu is doing just that, they want there own FWUPD Program

Comment

Working...
                    X