Trinity Desktop R14.0.11 Released For Continuing To Improve Upon KDE 3.5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trinity Desktop R14.0.11 Released For Continuing To Improve Upon KDE 3.5

Phoronix: Trinity Desktop R14.0.11 Released For Continuing To Improve Upon KDE 3.5

The Trinity Desktop Environment as a decade-old project that forked from the KDE 3.5 desktop continues persevering bit-by-bit to improve this once widely enjoyed desktop environment...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Would be nice if it got an OpenBSD port. Last I heard the project was hostile to the *BSDs. Don't know if things have changed. Trinity with OpenBSD would be my idea desktop.

Comment

I checked and it doesn't have even a FreeBSD port as of today according to freshports.

Comment

I can understand wanting to maintain the kde3 look but why would you continue to maintain the dead QT3 toolkit?

Wouldn’t it make more sense to take a MATE-like approach of new toolkit with classic UI?

Comment

Originally posted by kylew77 View Post
          Would be nice if it got an OpenBSD port. Last I heard the project was hostile to the *BSDs. Don't know if things have changed. Trinity with OpenBSD would be my idea desktop.

Comment

Very interesting, just not in the official repos yet!

Comment

Originally posted by scottishduck View Post
              I can understand wanting to maintain the kde3 look but why would you continue to maintain the dead QT3 toolkit?

Wouldn’t it make more sense to take a MATE-like approach of new toolkit with classic UI?
              I think MATE started with GTK 2 and then migrated piecemeal to GTK 3.

Maybe that's what you meant, I just wanted to make sure people didn't think MATE was built from the ground up on GTK 3.

...unless I'm wrong?

Comment

Trinity will only have a future if they do like MATE and update to the latest possible Qt.

Comment

Originally posted by evasb View Post
                  Trinity will only have a future if they do like MATE and update to the latest possible Qt.
                  The problem with Mate moving to GTK3 is so wrong that, now you have Mate Desktop consuming 1.4GB Ram only after boot...its a garbage by other words..

If Trinity advance with the QT toolkit to recent versions... the same will apply

By Other words..
                  Today there are very few reasons to use Mate Desktop, exactly because it consumes tons of GB Ram..so unless that you still want a traditional desktop, there are no point.. while before you could argue and say that Mate Desktop GTK2 consumed a reasonably lower amounts than Gnome and such, and so was a viable option..

Comment

What made KDE 3 great was the synergy of KWin + Konqueror + KIOSlaves.

I'm fine with Trinity being based on the QT3 UI library, so long as they recognise that at some point they will need to port QT3 to modern APIs.

KHTML has been dead in the water for a decade and a half, so Konqueror can't render most of the Internet any more. ie it is at a Firefox 2.0 level of compatibility. "TDEHTML" is a branded euphemism for KHTML. The $2000 2012 project to migrate to WebKit... well yes there was a WebKit plugin for Konqueror (not even done by Trinity Devs) but it hasn't been maintained, so we're back to (cough) "TDEHTML". Let's be fair to them. It's ostensibly better than IE6.

The KIOSlaves need to be updated to support modern TLS. ie I can't open many remotes in the file manager because of a lack of cypher support. KIOSlaves support at best TLS 1.3 with ECDHE-RSA/AES256.

Relying on XWayland as a shim in order to keep using QT3 for its lightweight resource usage, is self-defeating.
                    Last edited by linuxgeex; 31 October 2021, 11:28 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X