Trinity Desktop R14.0.11 Released For Continuing To Improve Upon KDE 3.5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tuxd3v View Post
    The problem with Mate moving to GTK3 is so wrong that, now you have Mate Desktop consuming 1.4GB Ram only after boot...its a garbage by other words..

If Trinity advance with the QT toolkit to recent versions... the same will apply

By Other words..
    Today there are very few reasons to use Mate Desktop, exactly because it consumes tons of GB Ram..so unless that you still want a traditional desktop, there are no point.. while before you could argue and say that Mate Desktop GTK2 consumed a reasonably lower amounts than Gnome and such, and so was a viable option..
    I like this project a lot. The programmer is even considering integrating the gtk2 thumbnail patch to it.

Comment

Kudos to the Trinity desktop environment people for trying to keep a sane desktop environment around still.
      The screenshots on their own homepage gives it more justice https://trinitydesktop.org/media/scr...large/tde3.png

Personally, as a old Amiga user I feel more comfortable with XFCE on my boxes as it has more of the "spirit" of being able to have things the way you like and without getting in the way, but Trinity is definitively on my "things to consider" list if XFCE moves from good to bad. Best wishes to the TDE team!

http://www.dirtcellar.net

Comment

They need to port to Qt6 and rebase their kwin with the latest upstream for Wayland changes.

Comment

What I disliked so much back to the KDE3 times was a total lack of consistency of fonts.
          I moved to Gnome for that specific reason and never got back to KDE.

I think I could like using trinity if they fixed that issue! Keeping an eye on the project!

Comment

Looks like a blast from the past ( in a positive way). While I can understand people using it, I personally think that nothing beats current plasma desktop (e.g. less than 500mb ram usage after boot on opensuse leap).

Comment

Is Trinity DE much lighter on resources than Plasma 5.23?
              Does it use less cpu and memory?
              I find plasma to run very well on the older computers i have at hand but this maybe is for computers that is 20yr old or so.

Comment

Originally posted by cynic View Post
                What I disliked so much back to the KDE3 times was a total lack of consistency of fonts.
                I moved to Gnome for that specific reason and never got back to KDE.

I think I could like using trinity if they fixed that issue! Keeping an eye on the project!
                It was possible to solve that using .fontconfig, ie you could override fonts there by aliasing them.

Comment

As much as I'd enjoy having a simple KDE3-like experience again, Trinity's technological obsolescence is a real problem. For instance, as far as I can tell they are still relying on DCOP for IPC and DCOP itself relies on X11 whereas everybody else has moved on to DBus ages ago. Where most of use pulseaudio or even pipewire, Trintiy is stuck with the ever so awful aRts. Then there is the issue of no proper HiDPI support, Wayland, etc... KDE had a few rough years while they were transitioning everything to newer technologies but all the hard work has paid off. I imagine that at least some of Trinity's outdated technology might make it a bit painful to use in production alongside other more modern applications.

Comment

Originally posted by linuxgeex View Post

It was possible to solve that using .fontconfig, ie you could override fonts there by aliasing them.
                    I believe it was somewhere between 15/20 years ago when it happened so I don't remember all the tweaks I tried but I'm rather sure I tried everything could be reasonably possible but were never satisfied!

Comment

Originally posted by evasb View Post
                      Trinity will only have a future if they do like MATE and update to the latest possible Qt.
                      People have been saying this for literally years now. While i agree that it'd be prudent to update based on supported toolkits, I don't think this has ever been a concern for the Trinity devs. They've been supporting KDE 3 for many years now, and at this point I'd have to think they know it pretty well.

Comment

Working...
                      X