Firefox 94 To Start Using EGL On Linux - Better Performance, Lower Power Use

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mirmirmir View Post

Maybe someone from other major DE should step up and start fixing those bugs, because that's how gnome bugs get fix
    It's a Firefox bug, it's why it's on their bug tracker.
    If it were on KDE bug tracker it would've been fixed already.
    KDE developers don't have the experience Mozilla developers have with Firefox.
    Plus te bug comes from trying to fix another Mozilla screw up, detecting the default file manager and use that instead of hardcoding Gnome file manager.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
      They don't look like cold starts. You should also note if you're using an hdd/ssd/nvme as that (the disk I/O) is the most important thing for cold starts.
      + 1

I have /home mounted on an HDD and / mounted on an SSD, and all the browsers start slowly because they have to read their user config off the HDD.

Comment

Originally posted by bcellin View Post
        maybe then I'll be able to run firefox with dedicated graphics without problems on wayland. I still can't using a laptop with nvidia, ubuntu , x and gnome.
        when I right click firefox and run with dedicated graphics, it shows many gpu errors on about:support and does not have hardware acceleration enabled. I'm think I saw a bug on bugzilla about this but it was still opened. and when I run firefox with intel graphics it's got hardware acceleration and webrender is active.
        Why would you want to run browser with dedicated graphic card?

Comment

Anything that boosts performance/power draw of basic apps is welcome cause my experience with battery life on Linux over the years wasn't great.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
            This is one step forward towards hardware video acceleration being enabled by default. Right now you need both launching FF with MOZ_X11_EGL=1 and activate VA-API on the about:config tab. With 94 only the VA-API step will be necessary.
            Sadly, there is a bug related to sandboxing on intel cards (https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1698778), so VA-API is not that easy to enable yet

Comment

Originally posted by mirmirmir View Post

Why would you want to run browser with dedicated graphic card?
              Why not ?
              There could be lots of reasons.
              Maybe the integrated GPU is too weak, it doesn't support a recent enough OpenGL version or Vulkan version.
              I think Vulkan has recently added video decoding extensions
              Or maybe for video / audio hardware acceleration, like 4K 10bit HDR video and 5.1 audio.
              If you use a TV as monitor and the HDMI cable from the dedicated GPU goes through an audio receiver, I think it's more efficient that the GPU that does the hardware decoding is also the one that routes audio out through its HDMI port.
              Running an intensive game in the browser probably needs this too.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
                Plus te bug comes from trying to fix another Mozilla screw up, detecting the default file manager and use that instead of hardcoding Gnome file manager.
                It detects the default file manager fine for me on Deepin. At least with Firefox Beta, directly from the Mozilla site.

Comment

Originally posted by perpetually high View Post
                  That's really good news. I can only speak for GNOME and not the KDE issues above, but I have both firefox (Stable, 93.0) and firefox-trunk (Nightly, 95.0-alpha) installed, and I've been using Nightly exclusively for the reasons Michael mentioned.

Firefox is so much faster now in 95.0. It loads faster than Chrome for me

95.0 adds the following features in about:support

WEBGPU
                  disabled by default: Disabled by default
                  available by user: Enabled via dom.webgpu.enabled

X11_EGL
                  available by default

DMABUF
                  available by default

I also do the following:

WEBRENDER_SHADER_CACHE
                  available by user: Enabled via gfx.webrender.program-binary-disk

layout.frame_rate = 144 (since I have 144hz monitors)

---

Here's what Firefox 93.0 looks like in about:support right now for me:

WEBBGPU
                  available by user: Enabled via dom.webgpu.enabled
                  blocked by runtime: WebGPU can only be enabled in nightly
                  X11_EGL
                  available by default
                  blocklisted by env: Blocklisted by gfxInfo
                  DMABUF
                  available by default
                  unavailable by runtime: Requires EGL
                  I see all of those features in 94.0 beta as well and I can also enable them. So no, they're NOT only available/enablable in Nightly.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
                    They don't look like cold starts. You should also note if you're using an hdd/ssd/nvme as that (the disk I/O) is the most important thing for cold starts.
                    Yeah, that's fair. It wasn't a fresh reboot and I also have 'preload' installed which caches libraries and things into memory.

*Also* I'm running a RAID0 with the 'none' scheduler, which is lightening fast. So you're not wrong but hopefully it should be pretty relative. Firefox 95 has definitely stepped up. Really happy with where the browser wars are at.

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

I see all of those features in 94.0 beta as well and I can also enable them. So no, they're NOT only available/enablable in Nightly.
                    Oh good to know, thanks. Once 94 is out, I will switch from Nightly back to Stable. I actually hate using Nightly.

Comment

Is WebGPU a good idea for normal users? I myself disable even WebAssembly and WebGL support.

Comment

Working...
                      X