KDE Ends Out October With More Fixes, Continued Polishing To Plasma Wayland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Ends Out October With More Fixes, Continued Polishing To Plasma Wayland

Phoronix: KDE Ends Out October With More Fixes, Continued Polishing To Plasma Wayland

KDE Plasma 5.23 offers much better Plasma Wayland support than prior releases but still the journey of polished Wayland support on-par with X11 is not over. KDE developers ended out October working on more Wayland fixes along with other improvements to this open-source desktop...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Plasma is slightly faster and using less memory every time it loads an icon
    So if I start an infinite loop of icon loading at startup, Plasma will asymptotically approach infinite speed and zero memory over time. Brilliant!

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
      So if I start an infinite loop of icon loading at startup, Plasma will asymptotically approach infinite speed and zero memory over time. Brilliant!
      You may have just discovered how to create a black hole.

Comment

Great! Since 5.23, I'm all-in on Wayland now and it's working quite nice.

Comment

still useless with multi screen for me, keeps placing my icons and tray on the wrong monitor.

Comment

Originally posted by deadite66 View Post
            still useless with multi screen for me, keeps placing my icons and tray on the wrong monitor.
            Similar for me, but with krunner and full-screen programs.

These multiscreen placing issues have to be solved to make Wayland a real full replacement for Xorg.

Comment

Originally posted by ALRBP View Post

Similar for me, but with krunner and full-screen programs.

These multiscreen placing issues have to be solved to make Wayland a real full replacement for Xorg.
              This is really a bug with KWin not Wayland though, this isn't a problem in GNOME.

Comment

Is there any way to do a "switch user" with KDE+wayland any more or do you have to log out an log back in again. With Xwayland I am able to do a ALT+CTRL+F3 and start a second session there as a different user so I can be logged in as two different users and quickly switch between them. That doesn't seem to be possible if both sessions are plasma-wayland because as soon as you switch back to the first session the second one just turns black and never comes back.

Comment

Today that's been solved:

Last edited by Nth_man; 30 October 2021, 01:48 PM.

Comment

I tested Plasma on Wayland on my Intel laptop. It gets to the point when it's hard to distinguish which session it is (unless screen tearing is happening, then you know it's X11).
                    The only issue I had was plasmashell crashing every time I disconnected HDMI display. Luckily, it's not KWin crashing, so I could just `kstart5 plasmashell` and it stays fine. Even things like dragging and dropping things between windows just works, which wasn't always the case.

Comment

Working...
                    X