Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Void-Linux-Powered Project Trident To Cease Operations

Phoronix: Void-Linux-Powered Project Trident To Cease Operations

Project Trident had been an operating system originally based on TrueOS/FreeBSD before shifting to Void Linux as its base and worked on various innovations like OpenZFS-based root installations but now the developers behind the ambitious advanced desktop OS project have decided to call it quits...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

That's too bad I hope they get their mojo back and join up with mx linux or some other group.

Comment

There's more sense in joining a larger distro group, than keeping some "random" distro with 5 users.

Comment

The distros market is crowded and competition is tough. That it's open source doesn't change the basic laws: if you want to launch a new distro you need to bring something new and useful to the table, that caters extremely well for some well understood needs. Fail to understand that and your chances of becoming a sustainable project are slim to none.

Comment

That's why you don't use one-man Linux distros. That's just stupid. Would you use one-man car manufacturer?

Comment

Originally posted by piorunz View Post
            That's why you don't use one-man Linux distros. That's just stupid. Would you use one-man car manufacturer?
            I would, that sounds incredibly interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by SilverFox

Me too, Following the herd just makes you a sheep and is the road to stagnation.
              Yes, butt it has ramifications, ewe need to be careful what you choose - if get it wrong with woolly thinking, you could led in the wrong direction like a lamb to the slaughter.

Comment

Originally posted by SilverFox

Me too, Following the herd just makes you a sheep and is the road to stagnation.
                That's a weird thing to say. We are talking about technology, not fashion trends. Look at the Linux distros: virtually all meaningful innovation has always came from the majors (Debian, Ubuntu, RedHat, SUSE). Even Arch, which I don't want to underestimate or diminish in the slightest, brought little in terms of new ideas or technologies that would move the Linux world to some next level. It's the non-mainstream small distros (the likes of Void, MX Linux, K1SS, Obarun and whatnot) that stagnate and seem to forever re-implement the same old ideas - oh but look, this time it's with musl instead of glibc! Look, mine is the same but the package manager is written in Perl! Great.

The only one-man project that stands out as meaning something to more than just a handful of hobbyists seems to be Slackware, but its significance nowadays is IMO mostly historical (yes I know that it still has regular releases and a community of dedicated fans). And maybe Gentoo.

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post

That's a weird thing to say. We are talking about technology, not fashion trends. Look at the Linux distros: virtually all meaningful innovation has always came from the majors (Debian, Ubuntu, RedHat, SUSE). Even Arch, which I don't want to underestimate or diminish in the slightest, brought little in terms of new ideas or technologies that would move the Linux world to some next level.
                  You don't always need to bring new extraordinary technologies to be useful. Arch makes it easy to stay close to upstream without having to sacrifice ease-of-use. Furthermore, its pkgbuild system works quite well, even if it is simple. The fact that you can find almost anything in its repos and it is one of the best documentations for everything linux related gives more than enough reason to believe it is a very well distro (it must be really good if people actively spend time developing it and its ecosystem). Thus Arch has very much pushed the linux ecosystem to some next level, by being simple and compelling to many developers/enthusiasts.

The same can be said of free software organizations. After all, they all "waste" money on non-development tasks which users don't care about (why should I care if Linux Foundation gives money to accountants?). Anything that brings people closer and encourages and facilitates collaboration can be thought of a step forward, and more so as more people join/take part in it.

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post

That's a weird thing to say. We are talking about technology, not fashion trends. Look at the Linux distros: virtually all meaningful innovation has always came from the majors (Debian, Ubuntu, RedHat, SUSE). Even Arch, which I don't want to underestimate or diminish in the slightest, brought little in terms of new ideas or technologies that would move the Linux world to some next level. It's the non-mainstream small distros (the likes of Void, MX Linux, K1SS, Obarun and whatnot) that stagnate and seem to forever re-implement the same old ideas - oh but look, this time it's with musl instead of glibc! Look, mine is the same but the package manager is written in Perl! Great.

The only one-man project that stands out as meaning something to more than just a handful of hobbyists seems to be Slackware, but its significance nowadays is IMO mostly historical (yes I know that it still has regular releases and a community of dedicated fans). And maybe Gentoo.
                    A lot of the innovation in the big distributions comes from borrowing ideas pioneered by the little ones.

Nix and GuixSD (which the developers openly admit borrow from Nix) take configuration of a distribution to a new level and blur the line between package management and configuration management.

GuixSD and Debian are borrowing from each other and sharing ideas back and forth in the path towards reproducible builds.

My seat-of-the-pants impression is that the only thing stopping the Void Linux package manager, XBPS, from being the fastest package manager available is that the Void mirrors aren't that fast. Once the files are downloaded, installation is fast.

I'm sure there are other examples, too.

So I think all the small distributions are awesome. I just wouldn't use one for my daily driver machines, and I recognize the staggering amount of work involved so I'll never start one myself.

Comment

Working...
                    X