Void-Linux-Powered Project Trident To Cease Operations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't know who will fill the Void.

Bad joke aside, I have to agree with what's been said, it's very difficult for a 1or 2 person Linux distro to be a viable, sustainable project. Even if the person(s) has a unique idea, there are time and monetary constraints that conspire to inhibit the realization of the vision for the project.

SkyOS is a perfect example, it was a promising one man project, but it didn't go anywhere. There have been some exceptions, such as Knoppix, and of course, perhaps the most successful one man show, Mint, though I think there are probably a few more developers now, but for the most part, it's all based on the work done by large teams of people.

Even Linux, as an OS, is not the work of 1 man, namely Linus Torvalds. It made extensive use of the software created by the GNU Project.

And honestly, even the good one man projects wouldn't exist if it wasn't for RedHat, Suse, Mandrake and later Ubuntu.

Comment

Originally posted by piorunz View Post
      That's why you don't use one-man Linux distros. That's just stupid. Would you use one-man car manufacturer?
      So you never buy bread at your local bakery that's run by one baker?

That being said: yes, I would use a car made by one man (or woman). If the car is good, then the car is good.

Comment

Originally posted by Shiba View Post

I would, that sounds incredibly interesting.
        For you. And for typical mums and pops? Once that one-man factory walks off, they are left with broken piece of garbage. Same with Linux. One-man distro is prone to bugs, problems, security vulnerabilities. There is simply no enough man power to deal with these.

Comment

Originally posted by SilverFox

That cheered me up today, thanks

For me, I've decided to leave the flock on my quest for a more peaceful OS experience. The last 3 months using FreeBSD has been surprisingly bliss.
          Actually, you chose very mainstream BSD system. FreeBSD is used by thousands of corporations and businesses, and many individuals. It's well structured and organized. That's entirely different case than one-man copy-paste Linux distro. FreeBSD will not go away because one developer got bored. FreeBSD is like Debian of Linux world.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael_S View Post

A lot of the innovation in the big distributions comes from borrowing ideas pioneered by the little ones.
            It usually goes both ways. For example, you can run small distros that facilitate docker containers but those containers run on some boring rehashed server distro. That said, there are both big and small distributions that are completely stagnant and have nothing to offer.

Comment

For me, I've decided to leave the flock on my quest for a more peaceful OS experience. The last 3 months using FreeBSD has been surprisingly bliss.
              How is the FreeBSD experience? I do think the *BSDs are interesting...but I have never really used them.

Comment

All the other bsd's are based off it.
                That's not true at all.

Comment

It is very mainstream, Yes, All the other bsd's are based off it. But still a drop in the ocean compared to linux, Which was my point. I wouldn't compare it to Debian though, FreeBSD's repos are more upto date.
                  We are comparing one-man Linux joke-distros to FreeBSD, not entire Linux to FreeBSD, you misunderstood the point.
                  Also again, comparing Debian to FreeBSD, you misunderstood - that's about two base foundation distros, on which other distros are based, not about up-to-date packages.

Back to FreeBSD - it is well funded: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FreeBSD#Foundation
                  drop in the ocean comparing to Linux, but massive difference comparing to one-man Linux joke-distros. FreeBSD is mainstream. Linux is mainstream. One-man distros are not, they are mostly very underfunded it not straight dangerous to use due to lack of security patches released in timely manner. With a few exceptions, of course.
                  Last edited by piorunz; 30 October 2021, 05:19 PM.

Comment

Me too, Following the herd just makes you a sheep and is the road to stagnation.
                    walking your way just makes you killed quickly https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxkYJl4y4xE

Comment

so how did you leave the bsd flock?

Comment

Working...
                      X