• Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gens View Post
    "... better hamdling of complex scenes."

Homer Simpson would be proud of that typo
    Yes he would.

Comment

Originally posted by amxfonseca View Post

How is that a waste? The faster they make Blender run on macOS, the bigger the incentive for professionals to buy a macboook.

It sounds more like an investment. I would do the same in their position.
      Yup, they throw money and all the big creative software companies to get preferential treatment. It works out quite good for them. If they can hook the Youtuber influencer crowd they get boatloads of free advertising.

Comment

I would already be happy if they would not treat AMD cards that stepmotherly.

Comment

I am stunned at how effective the Blender development team is, every new release contains multiple major improvements even when its not very long between a release. It is amazing how many new major improvements they bring in so quickly and often!

I wish that GIMP had some manpower and money backing that Blender had so it could also improve quickly.

Blender is great, but I think the UI is a bit too customizable, which makes it easy to accidentally break the UI.

Comment

Originally posted by microcode View Post
            Is there any particular reason they are also developing a custom Metal backend, rather than going the route of other vendors, using Vulkan Portability on MoltenVK?
            Most of the work for metal is going into Cycles (as there isn’t any CUDA in the Apple world anymore. Still no sign at all for a Vulkan backend for Cycles… Seems to be mainly about the viewport there.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post

Well the alternative is not being dumbasses and supporting Vulkan as an industry standard rather than trying to force everyone to write to their proprietary API that represents a minimal section of the market. Then they wouldn't have to write a special backend for themselves.
              Still no sign of a Vulkan backend for Cycles….

Comment

Originally posted by amxfonseca View Post

How is that a waste? The faster they make Blender run on macOS, the bigger the incentive for professionals to buy a macboook.

It sounds more like an investment. I would do the same in their position.
                It's unlikely to be faster than a MoltenVK-based viewport unless it goes super deep; ditto Metal compute vs Vulkán compute on MoltenVK in Cycles X.

Comment

Working...
                X