Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blender 3.x Roadmap Has Big Plans For Vulkan, Other Improvements

Phoronix: Blender 3.x Roadmap Has Big Plans For Vulkan, Other Improvements

With Blender 3.0 releasing soon, the Blender project has published a Blender 3.x road-map outlining some of their plans for future releases...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

If the get the sculpting working well with VR headsets/gear that'd be pretty awesome, not sure how well that'd work on linux though? I haven't kept up with how the support is like (I think it recently improved for Wayland with VR, and last I heard Blender with Wayland support was still in the works)

Comment

"... better hamdling of complex scenes."

Homer Simpson would be proud of that typo

Comment

Is there any particular reason they are also developing a custom Metal backend, rather than going the route of other vendors, using Vulkan Portability on MoltenVK?

Comment

Originally posted by microcode View Post
          Is there any particular reason they are also developing a custom Metal backend, rather than going the route of other vendors, using Vulkan Portability on MoltenVK?
          Apple became a major sponsor a short while ago. I think that's why. They are contributing to the Cycles X Metal renderer, and probably will support the viewport as well.

Comment

Originally posted by peterdk View Post
            Apple became a major sponsor a short while ago. I think that's why. They are contributing to the Cycles X Metal renderer, and probably will support the viewport as well.
            Eh, as long as Apple is the one wasting their money on a duplicate backend I don't really care :P

Comment

Originally posted by QwertyChouskie View Post

Eh, as long as Apple is the one wasting their money on a duplicate backend I don't really care :P
              I hope they miik that cow for all that they can.

Comment

Originally posted by QwertyChouskie View Post

How is that a waste? The faster they make Blender run on macOS, the bigger the incentive for professionals to buy a macboook.

It sounds more like an investment. I would do the same in their position.

Comment

Originally posted by amxfonseca View Post

How is that a waste? The faster they make Blender run on macOS, the bigger the incentive for professionals to buy a macboook.

It sounds more like an investment. I would do the same in their position.
                  Well the alternative is not being dumbasses and supporting Vulkan as an industry standard rather than trying to force everyone to write to their proprietary API that represents a minimal section of the market. Then they wouldn't have to write a special backend for themselves.

Comment

Unfortunately, it's their propietary OS, their propietary Hardware, their propietary processor, so their propietary API is pretty logical for them. They tried to do the Comitee design with OpenCL. They deemed it as a wasted effort, so back to propietary, that worked great for them, and made big money for them. Now the Blender support is quite logical, since is a tool that's started to become an industry alternative, and is far cheaper than supporting a "standard" they can't milk.

Comment

Working...
                    X