Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Project Wakefield Is OpenJDK's Effort To Improve Java On Wayland

Phoronix: Project Wakefield Is OpenJDK's Effort To Improve Java On Wayland

Project Wakefield is the recently established OpenJDK initiative to implement native Wayland support within Java...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

So. Will this be for Swing and JavaFX?

Comment

SWT already supports Wayland as it uses GDK/GTK.

Comment

As always, it'll take years... At least there are some efforts. I just hope it won't get stuck as soon as they will figure out there's no way to do a thing or two, waiting for another protocol introduction.

Comment

Can Swing look great on Linux?

I don't like if I use an application and it looks ugly and alien like Motif or Windows 95. I want it to look native, or at least fresh and modern.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
            Can Swing look great on Linux?

I don't like if I use an application and it looks ugly and alien like Motif or Windows 95. I want it to look native, or at least fresh and modern.
            Swing have had a GTK+ Look&Feel since a long time, altough, every time I tried it it was a bit ugly.
            I still prefer the classic Metal L&F better.

Comment

Hope it progresses quickly. The only thing I have that uses JDK is Yed Graph Editor but it's great so it would be nice to use it as a native Wayland client.

Comment

Both Google and JetBrains have their tools written using OpenJDK, I hope they invest some resources into this as well.

Comment

Originally posted by om26er View Post
                  Both Google and JetBrains have their tools written using OpenJDK, I hope they invest some resources into this as well.
                  JetBrains devs had already stated that they will be part of this effort.

Comment

I only ever install Oracle Java when I have to use the Web Start thing to get (mostly outdated) KVM/iLo consoles to show up for doing maintenance.
                    They never seem to work with IcedTea or whatever it's called.

Comment

Working...
                    X