Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Project Wakefield Is OpenJDK's Effort To Improve Java On Wayland

Phoronix: Project Wakefield Is OpenJDK's Effort To Improve Java On Wayland

Project Wakefield is the recently established OpenJDK initiative to implement native Wayland support within Java...

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...K-Java-Wayland

So. Will this be for Swing and JavaFX?

Comment

SWT already supports Wayland as it uses GDK/GTK.

Comment

As always, it'll take years... At least there are some efforts. I just hope it won't get stuck as soon as they will figure out there's no way to do a thing or two, waiting for another protocol introduction.

Comment

Can Swing look great on Linux?

I don't like if I use an application and it looks ugly and alien like Motif or Windows 95. I want it to look native, or at least fresh and modern.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
            Can Swing look great on Linux?

I don't like if I use an application and it looks ugly and alien like Motif or Windows 95. I want it to look native, or at least fresh and modern.
            Swing have had a GTK+ Look&Feel since a long time, altough, every time I tried it it was a bit ugly.
            I still prefer the classic Metal L&F better.

Comment

Hope it progresses quickly. The only thing I have that uses JDK is Yed Graph Editor but it's great so it would be nice to use it as a native Wayland client.

Comment

Both Google and JetBrains have their tools written using OpenJDK, I hope they invest some resources into this as well.

Comment

Originally posted by om26er View Post
                  Both Google and JetBrains have their tools written using OpenJDK, I hope they invest some resources into this as well.
                  JetBrains devs had already stated that they will be part of this effort.

Comment

I only ever install Oracle Java when I have to use the Web Start thing to get (mostly outdated) KVM/iLo consoles to show up for doing maintenance.
                    They never seem to work with IcedTea or whatever it's called.

Comment

Working...
                    X