KDE Plasma Readies Its NVIDIA GBM Support, Fingerprint Authentication Added

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Plasma Readies Its NVIDIA GBM Support, Fingerprint Authentication Added

Phoronix: KDE Plasma Readies Its NVIDIA GBM Support, Fingerprint Authentication Added

It's been an exciting week for KDE developers with preparing their formal support for handling NVIDIA's driver with GBM support as well as getting fingerprint authentication finally in place, among other improvements...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

- Fingerprint reader support is landing for Plasma 5.24. This support allows for unlocking the screen for systems having fingerprint readers as well as features needing authentication such as for sudo.
    Hooraayyy

Comment

Tried the latest Plasma Wayland Session in Arch during the last couple of days. I am pleasantly surprised. Last time i tried it was a bug and crash fest. It seems relatively stable now for daily use.

Comment

I made the mistake of getting an GTX1060 quite a while ago and now I have to care about all this binary Nvidia crap.
        If they will be available for a good price I am really thinking of some of the new Intel GPUs.
        Intel always has good open source Linux support.

Comment

A bit off topic, but recently I've noticed that Plasma is missing a crucial feature that other major desktops have, and it's automatic monitor calibration. I know there is colord-kde which you can install, but the last version was released at least 2-3 years ago and it just doesn't work (on x11). What's ironic is that even though Wayland currently doesn't have official support for monitor calibration (it requires a new protocol), it actually works on Gnome Wayland session. Afaik, they use some xrandr hack to make it work on Wayland. I really hope KDE developers are reading this.
          I'm sure KDE will eventually support monitor calibration on Wayland when there is going to be an official protocol for that, but there HAS to be a solution for X.org session as well in the meantime.

Comment

Originally posted by user1 View Post
            [...] automatic monitor calibration [...] I really hope KDE developers are reading this. [...]
            If it may help, on https://community.kde.org/Plasma/Wayland_Showstoppers we can see:
            Last edited by Nth_man; 23 October 2021, 07:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post
              Tried the latest Plasma Wayland Session in Arch during the last couple of days. I am pleasantly surprised. Last time i tried it was a bug and crash fest. It seems relatively stable now for daily use.
              My last test of KDE Wayland:

- Can't turn off monitor or the desktop goes away
              - If the desktop goes away then pressing Ctrl-C on Konsole may crash the entire desktop (only 20% of the time)
              - Most things work and look indistinguishable from the X11 session
              - There's no way to force HiDPI on for some applications (particularly X11 ones) which causes them to be blurry, even if they are games
              - Can't click-drag-release on menus anymore
              - Cursor sometimes blurry, sometimes crisp
              - I lost some mouse precision due to HiDPI differences between X11 and Wayland (and there is no way to change the mouse speed!)
              - Everything else looks surprisingly good

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post
                I'm still getting a fair amount of crashes but it looks like some of the fixes in Frameworks 5.88 and Plasma 5.23.2 will reduce the chance of them happening. My suspicion is that it's down to this Wayland issue but unfortunately the relevant KDE bug report has been closed as "not a bug." Still, anything that doesn't involve slow storage access seems much more stable.

Comment

Originally posted by mcirsta View Post
                  I made the mistake of getting an GTX1060 quite a while ago and now I have to care about all this binary Nvidia crap.
                  If they will be available for a good price I am really thinking of some of the new Intel GPUs.
                  Intel always has good open source Linux support.
                  NVIDIA binary crap has worked in Linux excellently so far sans Optimus (and switchable graphics laptops work horribly even under Windows) and support for some fancy new not really stable graphics APIs. Can't complain.

Of course, if you want to limit yourself to Linux/DXVK bugfest/slowfest, you could look elsewhere. Sane people game under Windows where NVIDIA drivers are unsurpassed in terms of quality, performance and features.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post

NVIDIA binary crap has worked in Linux excellently so far sans Optimus (and switchable graphics laptops work horribly even under Windows) and support for some fancy new not really stable graphics APIs. Can't complain.

Of course, if you want to limit yourself to Linux/DXVK bugfest/slowfest, you could look elsewhere. Sane people game under Windows where NVIDIA drivers are unsurpassed in terms of quality, performance and features.
                    1) Most of the games worth to play today are perfectly playable on Linux, whether a native port or with Proton. Unless someone really cares about fads like the flavor of the month multiplayer shooter.

2) Nvidia drivers on Windows are trash and have been trash for years. AMD has far better drivers on Windows. If you exclude some Nvidia sponsored games that are purposefully made to work badly on non-nvidia hardware for the initial launch period of the game, AMD are much better for gaming, and tend to mature and get optimized with time even more.

Comment

Working...
                    X