Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PipeWire 0.3.39 Brings Libcamera Plugin Improvements, Better Compatibility For JACK Apps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by birdie View Post
    In Windows it's five mouse clicks away.
    in linux it just works with 0 user intervention
    but they've heard that 192KHz is better than 44100Hz for his audio/sound card and you can't blame them.
    but they don't have to react to any stupid idea user heard either
    how to allow/deny certain applications access to the Internet
    run them in flatpak
    allow/deny applications to run (equally trivial via Group Policy Software Restrictions Policy).
    your main problem is you are trying to shoehorn any windows mistake into linux
    Last edited by pal666; 23 October 2021, 01:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
      run them in flatpak
      [Not the original commenter but] I do wherever possible. Doesn't change the fact that there's an open feature request for being able to grant/deny access to private IPs/the local subnet and non-local/Internet IPs separately so you can do things like denying Discord/whatever LAN access in case it gets compromised, or denying Internet access to IoT and intranet apps that don't need it.

Flatpak's approach is to "yes/no" setting up a new network namespace without bridging. It's not a proper application-level firewall replacement until they add support for some netfilter/iptables/etc. presets to re-grant a subset of the network access offered without a separate namespace.
      Last edited by ssokolow; 23 October 2021, 02:28 PM.

Comment

It's amazing how Open Source fans address any problems you've got with Open Source software:
        • "There's this and that replacement" - I didn't ask for it, I need what I need
        • "You don't need it" - but I do
        • "This works differently in Linux" - so what, I still need it
        • "You have to learn this and that to enable it" - oh, really? Should I also learn shell, programming, debugging, git bisect (done that a lot of time already) and assembly to use Linux?
        • "What you want is wrong!" - yeah, really.
        Again this feature is 5 mouse clicks away in Windows. I've seen people with zero technical background enabling it, including those who work with DAW (you gotta be kinda smart to use it). They just cannot do that in Linux.

Any other arguments you still have?

Again, my idea of Linux on the desktop is an OS which an idiot can use. Time and again people continue to prove me wrong by screaming that you must an IT-minded person to use Linux. Oh, boy, what a shame.
        Can you tell me what file Windows stores your audio device configurations in? Because I was responding to the equivalent of that question. The tools for JACK and Pulse work transparently with PipeWire, and the configuration is saved in the same way, so why is your standard different suddenly?

What is the thing that you actually want to do?

Comment

Dosbox has problems with Pipewire. I getting no sound and crashes.
          Pulseaudio and Dosbox works fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Naquatis View Post
            Dosbox has problems with Pipewire. I getting no sound and crashes.
            Pulseaudio and Dosbox works fine.
            File a concise bug report to the respective applications.

Comment

Originally posted by finalzone View Post

File a concise bug report to the respective applications.
              Bear in mind that DOSBox must be treated as a proprietary application that no longer receives updates by PipeWire, because of how GOG.com bundles it and doesn't rush to update their hundreds of bundled DOSBox releases to a new version and re-test for game compatibility.

I believe they didn't start supporting Linux games until DOSBox 0.74 was already out, but, last I checked, some Windows installers were still back on DOSBox 0.72 because that's what they tested the games under.
              Last edited by ssokolow; 24 October 2021, 09:47 PM.

Comment

i don't mind there not being an official GUI for pipewire, if desktop environments like gnome offered those features. one thing that annoyed me was the lack of sample rate control with gnome's sound controls. i actually don't like how there are different GUI's like pavucontrol. i wish there was more, solid integration with desktop environments instead.

Comment

Originally posted by middy View Post
                  i actually don't like how there are different GUI's like pavucontrol. i wish there was more, solid integration with desktop environments instead.
                  From what I remember, pavucontrol is the reference implementation, akin to twm or Weston, and anything else is desktops not stepping up to provide something equivalent or superior, either directly, or via that lack motivating people to write their own non-desktop-integrated alternatives to pavucontrol.

Comment

In Windows, it's five mouse clicks away. Also, there's no need to provide highly cryptic text files to me - I've been using Linux for more than two decades and I can configure everything perfectly, thank you very much.

The question was about the average Joe who doesn't even know how to express his desire. They surely don't know what "the sampling rate" is but they've heard that 192KHz is better than 44100Hz for his audio/sound card and you can't blame them.

Also, for some reason you assume not only people can properly ask such questions, but they can also edit the appropriate files and revert the changes in case something breaks.

Too many assumptions in 2021 when everything the average Joe faces in his mundane life should be configurable via GUI. I've not even begun to ask hard questions like how to allow/deny certain applications access to the Internet (that's trivial under Windows using a graphical firewall) or allow/deny applications to run (equally trivial via Group Policy Software Restrictions Policy).
                    The desktop environment should have the graphic tool for it, not the Pipewire, in Plasma, you can configure it at the system settings, under audio settings as any non-IT user would expect it to be.

A GUI from Pipewire would be more confusing for a non-technical user because he wouldn't know what Pipewire is and where to find this setting. On windows, you can configure audio settings without knowing the name of this subsystem, this is true under Linux too, with a user-friendly environment, and you should not be concerned where these settings are stored in your disk, it just doesn't matter.
                    Last edited by andreduartesp; 26 October 2021, 11:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by middy View Post
                      i don't mind there not being an official GUI for pipewire, if desktop environments like gnome offered those features. one thing that annoyed me was the lack of sample rate control with gnome's sound controls. I actually don't like how there are different GUI's like pavucontrol. I wish there was more, solid integration with desktop environments instead.
                      This is a problem with Gnome as a whole, their target is to be simple, but they tend to be simplistic, and some important configurations just don't exist there...

Comment

Working...
                      X