Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chrome 96 Beta Begins Preparing For Chrome 100, Adds Priority Hints Feature

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Chrome 96 Beta Begins Preparing For Chrome 100, Adds Priority Hints Feature

    Phoronix: Chrome 96 Beta Begins Preparing For Chrome 100, Adds Priority Hints Feature

    Following this week's release of Chrome 95, Google has now promoted Chrome 96 to beta status...

    https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...Chrome-96-Beta

  • #2
    If you're pushing new version numbers so fast that you actually need a feature flag so devs cap prep for 4 releases in the future you should really consider a different versioning scheme.

    I bet y'all ads are gonna have the highest load priority and the actual website will be set to low. That's exactly the feature I wanted -- a way for autoplay pill ads to play even faster. Thanks, Google.

    Comment


    • #3
      Now I cannot stop associating this with the Y2K shenanigans...

      This thing is also funny as hell. Back in the day, the idea of a software reaching the 100.0 version was unthinkable. Now it looks like there is race to see who get there first...

      Comment


      • #4
        Chrome 100, then 200, 300, 420, 666, 911, 1337, etc.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
          Now I cannot stop associating this with the Y2K shenanigans...

          This thing is also funny as hell. Back in the day, the idea of a software reaching the 100.0 version was unthinkable. Now it looks like there is race to see who get there first...
          They should switch to year-based, that way they can go straight pass 2 thousand...
          Plus it's an easy way to know how old your software is, not bad for something that needs safety.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
            Now I cannot stop associating this with the Y2K shenanigans...

            This thing is also funny as hell. Back in the day, the idea of a software reaching the 100.0 version was unthinkable. Now it looks like there is race to see who get there first...
            Some of the default programs and stuff on AmigaOS 4 have passed version 100 years ago, so not sure why you think it was “unthinkable”, unless you're talking about 1982 or so.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

              Some of the default programs and stuff on AmigaOS 4 have passed version 100 years ago, so not sure why you think it was “unthinkable”, unless you're talking about 1982 or so.
              Well, I grew up using PCs, so Amiga stuff wasn't what I had in mind when I said that.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by [email protected] View Post

                Well, I grew up using PCs, so Amiga stuff wasn't what I had in mind when I said that.
                But you said “a software”, so anything counts, including Amiga…

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

                  But you said “a software”, so anything counts, including Amiga…
                  You see, that thing is not what people usually think when you talk about software, unless you care about the thing...

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I think Google have done a great job with the technology stack and developer tools in Chrome, however when it comes to the user interface I think Edge feels much fresher, more modern, better integrated, more pretty, easier to use.

                    Personally I mostly use Firefox though, but it is frustrating with the lack of HTML dialog element support, poor support PWA (on Firefox desktop), not being able clear cache, cookies, etc on specific websites (Firefox on Android), no password reveal toggle on input type=password, no clear input button on input type=search, no datalist attribute support for input type=color/datetime-local/etc, no emoji input support on Firefox on Linux, text paste being buggy on Disqus, not being able to paste images on GitHub, etc.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X