• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rabcor View Post
    Lmao, they're still doing a gtk 3 port but we've already got GTK 4 :'D
    Tell that to Xfce, Cinnamon, and Mate.

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post
      At this point, it would have been better to just create a GTK4 port from scratch and just salvage whatever other code could be salvaged into various libs for it. It would take less time than fixing it. Seriously. It took them far less years to reach Gimp 2.0 from zero....
      The very idea that transition between 1.0, 2.0, and 3.0 is somehow linear is beyond hilarious, same as the idea about a gtk4 port from scratch. I think you are very brave for voicing an opinion that is so out of touch with reality. Not many people voluntarily do that sort of thing, but you, sir, don't know the meaning of the word "fear". Bravo!

Comment

In their Blog they write that a lot of work went into improving the infrastructure. You can spend days on improving the infrastructure and still you haven't written a single line of C code. So if people are annoyed by the slow development they should know there are improvements which aren't that obvious. Also it's not their fault when other systems like Wayland change and then they have to adapt Gimp to these changes again.

I use only a very small subset of the features of Gimp and for this the Beta is absolutely fine. The stable version doesn't work for me because I need HiDPI support due to my 4K screen and this only comes with GTK3.

Comment

Originally posted by MadeUpName View Post

Every time I use GIMP it just works. Big thanks to the devs.
          I have threatened to jump into GIMP development, but I don't want to deal with GTK again.

Comment

If someone complain about that Gimp is not progress into 3.0 series fast enough should give few bucks to them. Or donate some time to test or write guides.

It really helps them and every Gimp user in this planet. I've donated few dollars to them. How about you ?

Comment

It is not one of the applications that I use the most, certainly amazes the time they are taking to switch to GTK3, I understand that the transition is a lot of work, but maybe they would have done first to create a new application!
              Anyway ... huh! no ! It is not true as I have read in some comments that it works, in wayland I had several problems, problems that led me to prefer Krita, which for my needs is more than enough and works well both in Xorg and in wayland.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie68 View Post
                It is not one of the applications that I use the most, certainly amazes the time they are taking to switch to GTK3, I understand that the transition is a lot of work, but maybe they would have done first to create a new application!
                Something the Phoronix post is missing is this:

There have been two stages of GTK3 port so far.

1. Preliminary work in October 2010. Basically, mitch hacked on this during a GTK hackfest for several days back when GTK3 was new and full of bugs. There's a short blog post: https://gimpfoo.de/2010/10/24/gimp-on-gtk-30/.

2. This work was then resumed 8 years later after v2.10 release.

So this is not 11 years of hacking on the GTK3 port. This is more like an MVP years ago and then 3 years of hacking (so far). And the past 3 years of hacking also include rewriting color management implementation, refactoring etc.

Comment

Originally posted by omer666 View Post

Tell that to Xfce, Cinnamon, and Mate.
                  I sure will

Comment

Originally posted by prokoudine View Post

Something the Phoronix post is missing is this:

There have been two stages of GTK3 port so far.

1. Preliminary work in October 2010. Basically, mitch hacked on this during a GTK hackfest for several days back when GTK3 was new and full of bugs. There's a short blog post: https://gimpfoo.de/2010/10/24/gimp-on-gtk-30/.

2. This work was then resumed 8 years later after v2.10 release.208.67.220.220

So this is not 11 years of hacking on the GTK3 port. This is more like an MVP years ago and then 3 years of hacking (so far). And the past 3 years of hacking also include rewriting color management implementation, refactoring etc.
                    Mine was not intended to be a criticism of Gimp, but only the finding of difficulties in port to GTK3.
                    If GTK3 bugs were the problem, something went wrong in GTK3, but over 12 years for a port is a long time regardless of who's to blame.

Comment

Well, it was started once as a development branch and then sadly left in limbo for quite a few years and finally resumed because the distros started to switch to Wayland by default which made a port more urgent. It is not that they were busy porting it for 12 years.

Comment

Working...
                      X