GIMP 2.99.8 Released As Another Step Toward The Long Overdue GIMP 3.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GIMP 2.99.8 Released As Another Step Toward The Long Overdue GIMP 3.0

Phoronix: GIMP 2.99.8 Released As Another Step Toward The Long Overdue GIMP 3.0

GIMP 3.0 as the GTK3 port of this open-source Adobe Photoshop alternative has been talked about for nearly a decade now and the work remains ongoing. However, out today is GIMP 2.99.8 as the newest development snapshot...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

5 years in the future, "GIMP 2.99.648b Released As Another Step Toward The Long Overdue GIMP 3.0"

"Ever since KDE and GNOME merged to create the FOSS GUI toolkit QTK8 people have been wondering when GIMP will upgrade to GTK3..."

Comment

I know that I'm not entitled to anything that is created by others' hard work and provided to me for free, and I know how tough it is to maintain (let alone update/modernize) such a huge piece of software on a spare time basis and without serious funding and serious manpower, and I understand that they're simultaneously trying to tackle other complicated stuff like Wayland compatibility and this must be overwhelming to an already overwhelmed dev team, and I respect said dev team's tenacity in trying to still see this through despite all these hurdles, so I really don't mean to sound disrespectful to them at all, but at this point I feel like all there is to say as regards to GTK3 and GIMP is "lol".

Comment

Originally posted by Devorlon View Post
        5 years in the future, "GIMP 2.99.648b Released As Another Step Toward The Long Overdue GIMP 3.0"

"Ever since KDE and GNOME merged to create the FOSS GUI toolkit QTK8 people have been wondering when GIMP will upgrade to GTK3..."
        100 years in the future, "GIMP 2.99.9999999zzzz Released As The "Pretty Please With A Cherry On Top" Step Toward The Very Long Overdue GIMP 3.0"

"Ever since KDE and GNOME have split from a toxic comment, multiple desktop environments being created, Microsoft porting the Windows 30 shell to Linux, and Krita 29.0 being released the last week, people have been wondering when GIMP will upgrade to GTK3..."

Comment

Luckily, when the gtk+3 port is done, gimp will be a lot more portable and the Gtk4 port will be a quicker one.

Comment

Originally posted by Nocifer View Post
            but at this point I feel like all there is to say as regards to GTK3 and GIMP is "lol".
            My response to that as a team member is IKR

Comment

They are running out of numbers hahahaha

Comment

Just learned JPEG-XL format form this post

Comment

On the bright side I'm glad they didn't have to waste their time fixing themes on every minor GTK 3.x update and worked on core features instead. Developing GEGL and porting everything to it is a major undertaking with more far-reaching benefits than supporting latest GUI toolkit version.

Comment

Well, instead of complaining, I'm just using GIMP 2.99.6 (without any problems by the way) and will switch to GIMP 2.99.8 shortly.

Does anybody know why openSUSE's build service repo for the latest GIMP dev build is currently for Tumbleweed only?
                    https://download.opensuse.org/reposi.../gimp:/master/
                    Until recently, they used to have directories like ... /master/openSUSE_Leap_15.3

I know I could install a flatpak for 2.99.8, but I prefer RPM packages.
                    Last edited by Go_Vulkan; 20 October 2021, 06:29 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X