No announcement yet.

Chrome 95 Released With FTP Support Completely Removed, New Developer Additions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chrome 95 Released With FTP Support Completely Removed, New Developer Additions

Phoronix: Chrome 95 Released With FTP Support Completely Removed, New Developer Additions

Chrome 95 has rolled out as stable today as the latest version of Google's web browser...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Now if only the remaining FTP sites would transition to SFTP or HTTP...

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
      Now if only the remaining FTP sites would transition to SFTP or HTTP...
      What if sites actually could share files in a useful structure again instead of putting everything behind scripts and long keys

I prefer using the SeaMonkey browser ( https://www.seamonkey-project.org/ ) which is a continuation of the Mozilla Suite before Firefox "modernized" the hell out of it. It is a tad slow on my computer (core 2 duo e6600, 2.4Ghz) and chrome is actually a lot faster, but from a usability point of view it is far superior for my use.

http://www.dirtcellar.net

Comment

Recently needed to download some files that were hosted via FTP only to find out none of the web browsers I had installed(Firefox, Chromium, Brave) were capable of doing so, and I had to download it via wget.
        I can't remember the last time a web browser added a feature I needed or found useful, I'd guess it was probably around the time they began doing in-browser PDF rendering. But they sure do love removing features I use.

Comment

Originally posted by peppercats View Post
          Recently needed to download some files that were hosted via FTP only to find out none of the web browsers I had installed(Firefox, Chromium, Brave) were capable of doing so, and I had to download it via wget.
          I can't remember the last time a web browser added a feature I needed or found useful, I'd guess it was probably around the time they began doing in-browser PDF rendering. But they sure do love removing features I use.
          Out of all people on Earth probably a handful at any time need to download anything via FTP. At the same time the protocol is 100% insecure and allows for easy MITM, so not worth having in the browser.

Comment

Originally posted by peppercats View Post
            Most of the improvements made to modern browsers are not particularly visible.

But if you were to download and try out an ancient version of Chromium or FF, you'd find that some sites look different or don't function quite right due to missing features. And, depending on the hardware, it would feel slower.

I'd also be shocked if there's not a FTP extensions for FF/Chromium out there.

Comment

Haven't used FTP in ages. No big deal. There are dedicated FTP apps for those who really need them.

Comment

FTP is finally dead!

Comment

While I have many fond memories of pirating windows 98 apps from warez topsites via ftp, I can't remember the last time I actually wanted a ftp url to open in my web browser. Web browsers have NEVER had decent ftp client implementations, I have always preferred clients like lftp

Comment

Back in the day when overhead was an actual concern, FTP had a place. Well, not anymore.

I wouldn't call FTP dead just yet. I had WinSCP on my work computer handling FTP URLs, and that would keep working. Those who use FTP, don't need Chrome for it.

Some bigger players are using FTP, still. I noticed yesterday that (at least) one Manjaro mirror begun with `ftp://` and it made me want to esit the sourcea list manually to remove it, but I didn't have the time to dig into it. I really don't want my kernel downloaded via such insecure means...

Comment

Working...
                    X