X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BangoMopar
    replied
    Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post
    BS. They are not busy. If they were, they could ask for help.
    I love how demanding random people on the internet are demanding this or that, when they are NOT devs and are using a FREE operating system that they paid zero for...

Extensions don't really matter and are not a showstopper, they get fixed eventually anyway. No, the real reason is they have an anti-gnome agenda and i am tired of that. Fanboism has no place in a distro.
    Many users consider Gnome unusable without extensions...as to the last sentence...I have no words

Leave a comment:

• shmerl
    replied
    Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

I don't think KWin is designed to be replaced like that....have multiple, different versions installed alongside each other. IMHO, doing it with packages is the best you'll get unless you want to dig into the sources.
    I don't see why it can't be controlled with some environment variable which kwin binary to pick. You already can have Wayland and X11 KWins installed alongside one another, so should be possible to add more. But I can check the source.

Leave a comment:

• skeevy420
    replied
    Originally posted by shmerl View Post
    Yeah, I don't want to do it with packages, just need a manual method without removing regular kwin.
    I don't think KWin is designed to be replaced like that....have multiple, different versions installed alongside each other. IMHO, doing it with packages is the best you'll get unless you want to dig into the sources.

Leave a comment:

• skeevy420
    replied
    Originally posted by direc85 View Post
    It's great to so many crash fixes in every release, but it's horrible there are so many crashes in the previous release... I guess it's all Xorg to Wayland labor pain?

​​​​​​If a Gnome fanboy group kept, say, Arch Gnome packages up-to-date, and KDE guys did the same for theirs, one would assume it's only a good thing. As long as they don't attack each other, and are able to discuss technicalities in a civilized manner. The same kind of infighting happens in companies, too, and it's just so very sad...
    Right now a lot of it is Xorg to Wayland fixes. For me and my workflow, Plasma X is as stable and rock solid as ever whereas Wayland has just enough little issues that I can't really use it (which sucks because Plasma Wayland has better font rendering).

This is a snippet script that .zshrc sources and it helps with some Wayland and X issues I've had (especially when going between Wayland and X desktops). What it does is set environment variables based on X or Wayland and unsets them for non-GUI sessions. It covers GNOME (GTK), Enlightenment, and KDE with some stuff for Firefox, Qt, and SDL. SDL forced to Wayland will break older 1.2 SDL games since that doesn't have Wayland support. Either set those games manually or comment SDL out.

Code:
    # Wayland/X11
    if [[ $XDG_SESSION_TYPE = "wayland" ]]
    then
    # Clutter
    export CLUTTER_BACKEND="wayland"
    # GTK
    export GDK_BACKEND="wayland"
    # EFL/Enlightenment
    export ECORE_EVAS_ENGINE="wayland_egl"
    export ELM_DISPLAY="wl"
    export ELM_ACCEL="opengl"
    # Firefox
    export MOZ_ENABLE_WAYLAND=1
    # Qt
    export QT_QPA_PLATFORM="wayland"
    # SDL
    export SDL_VIDEODRIVER="wayland"
    elif [[ $XDG_SESSION_TYPE = "x11" ]]
    then
    # Clutter
    export CLUTTER_BACKEND="x11"
    # GTK
    export GDK_BACKEND="x11"
    # EFL/Enlightenment
    export ECORE_EVAS_ENGINE="x11"
    unset ELM_DISPLAY
    unset ELM_ACCEL
    # Firefox
    export MOZ_ENABLE_WAYLAND="0"
    # Qt
    export QT_QPA_PLATFORM="xcb"
    # SDL
    export SDL_VIDEODRIVER="x11"
    else
    # Clutter
    unset CLUTTER_BACKEND
    # GTK
    unset GDK_BACKEND
    # EFL/Enlightenment
    unset ECORE_EVAS_ENGINE
    unset ELM_DISPLAY
    unset ELM_ACCEL
    # Firefox
    unset MOZ_ENABLE_WAYLAND
    # Qt
    unset QT_QPA_PLATFORM
    # SDL
    unset SDL_VIDEODRIVER
    fi

Leave a comment:

• MadCatX
    replied
    Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post
    No, the real reason is they have an anti-gnome agenda and i am tired of that. Fanboism has no place in a distro.
    If you were capable of a rational thought, you'd know that the guy who packages KDE stuff for Arch is also quite involved in KDE development. That makes it easier for him to tackle any problematic post-launch issues (Arch already applies two extra patches for 5.23) and it also probably gives him an extra motivation to get the newest code out there as soon as possible. But why stick to logic when you can make baseless claims and slander the absolutely awesome Arch Linux community, right?

Leave a comment:

• direc85
    replied
    It's great to so many crash fixes in every release, but it's horrible there are so many crashes in the previous release... I guess it's all Xorg to Wayland labor pain?

​​​​​​If a Gnome fanboy group kept, say, Arch Gnome packages up-to-date, and KDE guys did the same for theirs, one would assume it's only a good thing. As long as they don't attack each other, and are able to discuss technicalities in a civilized manner. The same kind of infighting happens in companies, too, and it's just so very sad...

Leave a comment:

• skeevy420
    replied
    Originally posted by tomas View Post
    TemplarGR
    Have you considered Manjaro?

KDE, Xfce and Gnome are all official flavors:
    ​​​​​https://manjaro.org/downloads/official/gnome/
    Manjaro is downstream of Arch. I doubt they've been ahead of Arch for any package.

As someone who has used both, saying "run Manjaro" to an Arch user is like telling a Debian person to run Ubuntu 18.04 because Debian 11 isn't up-to-date enough.

Leave a comment:

• tomas
    replied
    TemplarGR
    Have you considered Manjaro?

KDE, Xfce and Gnome are all official flavors:
    ​​​​​https://manjaro.org/downloads/official/gnome/

Leave a comment:

• Charlie68
    replied
    Logic would have it that before solving multi monitor problems, you have to troubleshoot single monitor problems, as it is the most used. Not saying multi monitor issues on wayland are not taken into consideration, but it is just a matter of priority.

Leave a comment:

• TemplarGR
    replied
    Originally posted by bple2137 View Post

I don't think that Archlinux is favoring one DE or another. It usually means that maintainers responsible for the packages are busy or there are some problems with the new version that holds them from updating.

Quick check: KDE Plasma and GNOME are being packaged by completely different people. You can find their emails easyli and ask them why it takes so long.

I'm waiting for the new version too, but I like when updates are as much painless as possible and just being patient. In time when it makes it into stable, my extensions will be compatible again ☺️
    BS. They are not busy. If they were, they could ask for help. That is why i made the topic in Arch forums. Another member even said he had already created GNOME 41 packages, worked fine, and would offer to volunteer to help. They don't care. And they have been doing it for a long time now. KDE ALWAYS updates instantly, GNOME always takes many days. And nothing really breaks between versions anyway. Extensions don't really matter and are not a showstopper, they get fixed eventually anyway. No, the real reason is they have an anti-gnome agenda and i am tired of that. Fanboism has no place in a distro.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X