KDE's Plasma Wayland Session Continues Seeing More Crash Fixes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by deadite66 View Post
    Wayland is near unusable for me, panels, icons and wallpaper settings all keep switching to my 2nd monitor.
    fix them, reboot and all moved back to the 2nd monitor.
    Yeah, multi display setups on Plasma Wayland are such a pity... I would love to switch to it, but you can't really control which display is primary, because there's no more primary display anyway. I get the concept, it has potential to be something new and nice if done right, but in its current state it really sucks, because:

* Choosing a desktop layout that will survive reboots or, even worse, display configuration changes seems impossible. Those panels and widgets are simply all over the place. I even managed to loose my panel completely, even though it wasn't removed it was somewhere in the prugatory or non-existing screen.
    * There's no way to have control on where some windows appear, which is very bad especially for games (and no, games won't open on the screen that has focus/cursor, they most likely open on what's the 'first' output, which in my case is always my left monitor hooked up with DP no matter what).

You see, GNOME's solution feel a bit hacky and they do some stuff in the opposite way to what the rest of the ecosystem and they preserved the 'primary display' thing in Wayland session. Guess what - no such issues, pretty painless experience when dealing with whatever multi display setups, at least to my experience.

Yeah yeah, because it could be done better than this, but there's obviously nothing to fill the gap just yet. Maybe in next 5 years a new protocol will be introduced to deal with this particular issue and in 2 years after that KWin will finally have that covered.

Comment

I guess it's time to setup a new virtual machine for testing KDE again. I don't want to contaminate the pristine Gnome environment on my real OS.

Comment

KDE is so stable, almost every week we get a huge list of bug fixes.... For years now.... But it is stable, right? I am willing to bet that a few days from now, a large list of important bugs will be fixed, but people TODAY are gonna say KDE is bugfree...

What i also hate, is that Archlinux is clearly favoring KDE and GNOME is an afterthought for it. GNOME was released in 23/9, still not even in testing repo. Plasma released 14/10, instantly released on testing repo. Made a thread about it in Arch forums, instantly attacked and censored.... So, anyone knows a proper rolling release distro that is not pushing a KDE agenda?

Comment

Looks like adaptive sync isn't work as well as under X11. I filed a bug.

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post
            KDE is so stable, almost every week we get a huge list of bug fixes.... For years now.... But it is stable, right? I am willing to bet that a few days from now, a large list of important bugs will be fixed, but people TODAY are gonna say KDE is bugfree...
            That's a point. People hurrays that KDE team is fixing a lot of bugs, but that means that THERE ARE lots of bugs!

Just to say, with 5.22.5 (latest before 5.23) sometime the ubiquitous "X" close button did not work for me. And this did not happen just once. What I mean with this is that this kind of bug is hindering the experience to the basics.

Now I upgrade to 5.23 and the settings app sometimes lost the secondary tree-view column.

Comment

Initial stability doesn't have anything to do with it, Wayland implementation has to be implemented from scratch unless they use something like wlroots (which KDE is not, KWinFT is however)

What i also hate, is that Archlinux is clearly favoring KDE and GNOME is an afterthought for it. GNOME was released in 23/9, still not even in testing repo. Plasma released 14/10, instantly released on testing repo. Made a thread about it in Arch forums, instantly attacked and censored.... So, anyone knows a proper rolling release distro that is not pushing a KDE agenda?
              Rolling release and Gnome don't go well together because of Gnome extensions being very brittle

Comment

I don't think that Archlinux is favoring one DE or another. It usually means that maintainers responsible for the packages are busy or there are some problems with the new version that holds them from updating.

Quick check: KDE Plasma and GNOME are being packaged by completely different people. You can find their emails easyli and ask them why it takes so long.

I'm waiting for the new version too, but I like when updates are as much painless as possible and just being patient. In time when it makes it into stable, my extensions will be compatible again ☺️

Comment

Btw, what is a good way to use KWinFT? I.e. let's say I place the binary for it in $HOME/.local/bin

How do I make sddm / KDE load it instead of standard KWin? I want to compare adaptive sync support between them.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
                    Btw, what is a good way to use KWinFT? I.e. let's say I place the binary for it in $HOME/.local/bin

How do I make sddm / KDE load it instead of standard KWin? I want to compare adaptive sync support between them.
                    For display manager you should create some config/entry/I can't remember where it was. Though you can also run that session directly from TTY (again, can't remember how exactly).

For Arch-based distros, there is kwinft-git package in AUR. It replaces regular kwin and of course you can then go back to regular kwin by installing it with pacman.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post

I have no idea, I use Manjaro and there its just a package which you install normal (along with its dependencies). The package is also marked as having a conflict with kwin so it handles removing it.

Comment

Working...
                      X