No announcement yet.

KDE Plasma 5.23 Released In Marking 25 Years Of KDE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks a lot for providing a sane and useable DE.

Please do me a favour and don't start from scratch now that most things are more or less working (like it happend a few times and KDEs past).

Comment

Originally posted by Mario Junior View Post
      And it's still ugly as hell by default. How difficult is it for KDE devs to create a nice and polished default theme? They invest a lot in bug fixes, new features, new functions etc, but they forget about the interface theme.
      How difficult is it for you to just change the theme? It comes with several.
      It boggles my mind how people use Linux and complain about a default setting that is easily customizable. The default theme isn't even that bad anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by JackLilhammers View Post

Out of curiosity, what you suggest?
        How would you like it to be?
        A good design is being enjoyed by user without user noticing. That goes with everything functional that need to be designed.

As a designer myself (not strongly tied with computer stuff). Users are ducking dumb. What they want is offten far off from what they need. It's designer job to actually explain why things is the way they are. I mean if it's pure art, like painting, user have their right to say your work is shit. But if it has function, designer should balance between what the user's need and what the user wants.

What i'm trying to say is, people who pick kde by choice, mostly are people who shot themself in the foot. If you want to customise, use WM, you customise and you exactly what you want. If you want to get things done, use gnome. Kde fans have no place in linux community.

Comment

Originally posted by arun54321 View Post
          What a ugly theme this time too. Plasma theme designers are stuck at XP interface. May be due to the budget constraints they can't hire real actual designers or something. It's still sad to realise customisation is the only way to fix their outdated UI, Big ugly scrollbars. I hope valve fork plasma, hire actual designers and make it better for everyone. Btw who needs fat scrollbar on touch interface when you have screen gestures?

They focus more on usability (that's what they claim) but their DE looks complicated to an average user. If ask them to simplify it, they will quite a some outdated design laws from a man, "usability" expert who is no longer relevant and outdated.

Let alone making a beautiful de, they can't even fix the ugly rounded corner on default dark theme. LOL.
          Even windows vista has nice rounded corners. I think it will take them another 10 years to fix that simple bug. The funniest part is they think UI and UX designers at apple, android and microsoft are stupid. 😂😂😂
          Given Android and Apple are responsible for the flat trend as well as many other stupid ideas, I'd say they're right about that, and given the absolute disaster that was Windows 8 and that is Windows 11 do you really want to be trying to defend Microsoft?

Comment

I really don't get the hate for KDE. Some of it is outright hostility. I for one am glad KDE is around. Been using it since KDE3 and despite trying other DE I always come back to it. KDE4 was not that great at first and it seemed for a while they were trying to go the GNOME way, but thankfully they corrected course soon after.

Comment

I hate to rain on anyone's parade; who am I kidding, I love to rain on people's parades, but the big 2 Linux DEs, KDE and Gnome are pure garbage, they look like they were designed by a Special Olympics winner.

If you want to see a nice Linux GUI, go look for the old Ximian Gnome, that was something, or Mate and Cinnamon for modern Linux.

P.S. XFCE also blows.

Comment

Just installed 5.23 in my old laptop. So far so good running on Wayland but oh man, that new Breeze theme with heavy colored accents is just plain hideous and distracting...

Comment

mirmirmir
                  The sole fact that I'm on phoronix is a testament to how much time I waste, but reading your answer to my question (that was not directed to you, btw) felt like I wasted my time :'D

Comment

Originally posted by Khrundel View Post
                    The funnniest thing about every fragmentation witnesses is that you realy think you will decide and everyone will obey. What if your "One kernel, one DE, one distro" moto will be fullfilled as Redhat+Gnome+Systemd everywhere?
                    I was thinking only about the DE and KDE Plasma is the only one that let users to be free to do whatever they want.
                    That's why I think it's the only one that can solve fragmentation, because everyone can customize it enough to have everything they miss from other DEs.
                    That's also the reason nobody needs to fork it compared to Gnome.
                    Gnome is so strict and limited that it will not be able to replace even the most basic DEs like MATE of XFCE !

systemd tries at least to resolve real problems, it's pretty much good.

Red Hat is nice and I'm glad they have success since they contribute so much to the Linux community.
                    I'm still grateful to them for Firefox hardware decoding !

Comment

Originally posted by mirmirmir View Post

A good design is being enjoyed by user without user noticing. That goes with everything functional that need to be designed.

As a designer myself (not strongly tied with computer stuff). Users are ducking dumb. What they want is offten far off from what they need. It's designer job to actually explain why things is the way they are. I mean if it's pure art, like painting, user have their right to say your work is shit. But if it has function, designer should balance between what the user's need and what the user wants.

What i'm trying to say is, people who pick kde by choice, mostly are people who shot themself in the foot. If you want to customise, use WM, you customise and you exactly what you want. If you want to get things done, use gnome. Kde fans have no place in linux community.
                      I'm an enthusiast designer myself, so I totally get what you're saying. Especially the "If you want to get things done, use gnome" part. Like, right?! That's why people use Windows because it has a superior user interface for games. And if you want to drive, use a car that has an Apple interface, which is known to be more safe and secure.

Comment

Working...
                      X