Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Apache OpenOffice 4.1.11 Released - Increased Font Size In Help, Other Mundane Changes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am not sure Apache is aware how much their behaviour harms the development of open-source office solutions.
    Too bad, the OpenOffice brand is still so strong - luring millins of "just-users" into downloading software which has been almost unmaintained for years now.

Comment

Originally posted by kreijack View Post

I am not sure that OO is in a vegetative state. Looking at the download number [1], it seems that even now OO is downloaded about 35.000-55.000 times per day.
      Instead LO 7, was downloaded [2] 422000 times in a week = ~60.000 times per day.

The point is that despite LO is far better than OO, the downloads counts are comparable.
      That's because people don't know the technical differences between the two. When I was looking for an MS Office replacement a few years ago I downloaded OO first because I didn't know about LO, and I quickly stopped using it because it's shite. This point of this open letter is that OO is stagnant in its current form and should merge with LO for the sake of the user.

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
        Any productivity suite offers competition. AOO is no different. AOO and LO even put some pressure on MS Office for a number of "open" formats.
        Competition, yes, but that's not what you said. You said without AOO, TDF would focus "solely on it's cloud partners" and I already said what TDF focuses on and the existence of AOO doesn't influence that focus.

https://www.collaboraoffice.com/collabora-online/
        You can even "Try an online demo". Knock your cloud socks off
        Collabora Online is not a TDF project, so TDF can't focus on it.

Comment

Originally posted by Linuxhippy View Post
          I am not sure Apache is aware how much their behaviour harms the development of open-source office solutions.
          Too bad, the OpenOffice brand is still so strong - luring millins of "just-users" into downloading software which has been almost unmaintained for years now.
          I believe Apache is perfectly aware how much their behaviour harms the development of open-source office solutions...
          Have you had a look at their platinum sponsors lately?

Comment

This release includes a fix for CVE-2021–33035, which was a released 0-day for several days prior to this release. https://medium.com/csg-govtech/all-y...5-767fc7d6daf7

Comment

OO is a good example of FOSS Rot -- when our Software stores are clogged with hundreds of XYZ Apps that hasn't seen significant updates in 7+ years -- they give the user the impression everything is shiiit.

LO is light-years ahead, and it's actually harmful that the space is contaminated with poor options.

Comment

Originally posted by kreijack View Post

I am not sure that OO is in a vegetative state. Looking at the download number [1], it seems that even now OO is downloaded about 35.000-55.000 times per day.
                Instead LO 7, was downloaded [2] 422000 times in a week = ~60.000 times per day.

The point is that despite LO is far better than OO, the downloads counts are comparable.

[1] https://www.openoffice.org/stats/downloads.html
                [2] https://blog.documentfoundation.org/...week-in-stats/
                Why do companies often employ stupid people ? Perhaps they don't know any better as illustrated by this thread at OO.......

https://forum.openoffice.org/en/foru...101460#p489302

"What is LO ?"

Do note the number of people on this thread using LO that are helping out OO users, says it all really.

Comment

Originally posted by quikee View Post
                  Collabora Online is not a TDF project, so TDF can't focus on it.
                  As said, the TDF will focus solely on their cloud partners (i.e Collabora). This means that their needs will be prioritized over the many. An example of such a need would be, better Emscripten support vs say, improved desktop performance.

Originally posted by quikee View Post
                  and I already said what TDF focuses on and the existence of AOO doesn't influence that focus.
                  If TDF only focuses on their cloud partners needs, AOO will pick up the slack and overtake them. So this has a great influence over that focus. It means TDF and Microsoft both can not focus entirely on cloud nonsense.

More players in an area driving up competition is *always* good.

Comment

If TDF only focuses on their cloud partners needs, AOO will pick up the slack and overtake them. So this has a great influence over that focus. It means TDF and Microsoft both can not focus entirely on cloud nonsense.

More players in an area driving up competition is *always* good.
                    That's delusional. You know it, we all know it.
                    There are WAY better contenders to TDF and MS than Apache. Are you forgetting WPS Office and ONLYOFFICE (sorry, it's stylized that way)?
                    AOO is nonexistent in comparison.
                    It's a cadaver mistaken for a piñata and, quite fittingly, only blindfolded people don't see it.

If anything, TDF is the only actor here actively pursuing open standards, while MS, ONLYOFFICE and WPS Office are not. AOO, on the other hand, is actively hurting open standards by perpetuating the joke that their suite is great for those, when the cold reality is that it's more than 10 years behind the state of the art.

Comment

As said, the TDF will focus solely on their cloud partners (i.e Collabora). This means that their needs will be prioritized over the many. An example of such a need would be, better Emscripten support vs say, improved desktop performance.
                      Eh, I don't see TDF listed on the Collabora partner page, so how exactly are they partnered?

Comment

Working...
                      X