Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Firefox 93 Primed For Release With AVIF Image Support, Canonical Managing Official Snap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post
    this lets you use custom libraries that you can pack with your program (Also ensuring forward compatibility), Easily use modded libraries (god send for game modding), so on and so forth, I honestly wind up using wine for games more often than native gaming for this reason, and no, I do not find snaps, flats, or appimgs to be a suitable alternative.

and for everyone who claims it's a waste of space, it sure is, but considering how bloody cheap modern storage has gotten, IMO it is a more than fair tradeoff to make. I think both systems would work more than fine, hell it does work fine when using wine... when wine works...
    GOG.com and various other DRM-free releases do that just by using a launcher script that sets LD_LIBRARY_PATH. (Something you'll probably need anyway because all the damn ports assume $PWD will be set to $(dirname "$0") like in DOS descendants rather than $HOME like in OSes that were multi-user from the beginning.)

It works well aside from when you need to go in and try renaming libraries to something like .so.old until you find the one that's crashing your startup because they bundled something that assumed it would be updated in sync with some piece of the platform they didn't bundle.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post

I dont mind the package manager, but I find the lack of a reasonable alternative disappointing. One thing that I think windows absolutely does superior to linux for desktop is how the filesystem and binaries are executed. Load libraries like this. It's simple, Check Memory > Check Known DLLs (Dlls registered in registry) > Check system32 > Check windows > Finally check path.

this lets you use custom libraries that you can pack with your program (Also ensuring forward compatibility), Easily use modded libraries (god send for game modding), so on and so forth, I honestly wind up using wine for games more often than native gaming for this reason, and no, I do not find snaps, flats, or appimgs to be a suitable alternative.

and for everyone who claims it's a waste of space, it sure is, but considering how bloody cheap modern storage has gotten, IMO it is a more than fair tradeoff to make. I think both systems would work more than fine, hell it does work fine when using wine... when wine works...
      You missed one step. It's actually Check Memory > Check application .exe directory > Check Known DLLs (Dlls registered in registry) > Check system32 > Check windows > Finally check path.

This is one of the few things that drive me insane in Windows. If I have a whole bunch of libraries built and scattered around C:\Users\<User name>\ <Library name>\<library>.dll, there's no way to do an LD_LIBRARY_PATH to declare all the directories I want an application use the libraries from.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post

You missed one step. It's actually Check Memory > Check application .exe directory > Check Known DLLs (Dlls registered in registry) > Check system32 > Check windows > Finally check path.
        my bad

This is one of the few things that drive me insane in Windows. If I have a whole bunch of libraries built and scattered around C:\Users\<User name>\ <Library name>\<library>.dll, there's no way to do an LD_LIBRARY_PATH to declare all the directories I want an application use the libraries from.
        I don't personally find that much of an issue, but an override would be nice

Comment

Originally posted by risho View Post

holy shit quit your crying and use a different distro if you don't like it. there are more than 20 viable linux distros
          20 distros is not that many. If you like a particular distro except for one feature that drive you crazy, there is a great chance that remaining distros will have other "unacceptable features". Ifyou don't like don't use it is not a serious proposal given limitedresources the world offers.

Comment

Originally posted by bosjc View Post
            Wasn't this supposed to have some big Wayland improvements?
            Yes, it should be. According to Firefox developer Martin Stránský, Firefox 93 should have shipped Wayland asynchronous clipboard and new way of tracking monitor changes. Although consider that the new clipboard is not enabled by default. It will be in Firefox 94, which will really be a big Wayland update.

Comment

Working...
            X