Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Firefox 93 Primed For Release With AVIF Image Support, Canonical Managing Official Snap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not sure what all the crying is about. I'm on the dev releasing running Firefox as a snap, and it's great. I look forward to the timely updates, thanks Canonical!

Comment

Originally posted by ripper81 View Post

Appimages are the least favourable way in my opinion as they don't allow for a "central" update and they also integrate poorly into the desktopenvironment.
      The people who use an operating system with < 2% marketshare and proudly boast that they know how to use computers better than macOS and Windows users don't even know how to write their own .desktop file for basic desktop integration.

Bunch of poseurs.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post

The people who use an operating system with < 2% marketshare and proudly boast that they know how to use computers better than macOS and Windows users don't even know how to write their own .desktop file for basic desktop integration.

Bunch of poseurs.
        Sure i can do that. But it should not be necesarry. I don´t think i am better in using my computer than anyone else. Like it or not, when it comes to a broader acceptance on the desktop for linux the ease of use is crucial like on any other platform. I might know a few things windows and macusers probably don't know. But i only now them because i have to deal with them on my OS of choice. Snaps and Flatpak are better in those aspects than Appimages. One great thing on linux is that you have all the software on your system upgraded at once through the package manager of your distro. Distroindependet packages should stick to that system instead of requiring to redownload packages from an website or using their own update routines in my opinion.

Comment

Sure i can do that. But it should not be necesarry. I don´t think i am better in using my computer than anyone else. Like it or not, when it comes to a broader acceptance on the desktop for linux the ease of use is crucial like on any other platform. I might know a few things windows and macusers probably don't know. But i only now them because i have to deal with them on my OS of choice. Snaps and Flatpak are better in those aspects than Appimages. One great thing on linux is that you have all the software on your system upgraded at once through the package manager of your distro. Distroindependet packages should stick to that system instead of requiring to redownload packages from an website or using their own update routines in my opinion.
          Agreed. If I'm upgrading from the APT-delivered packages that already met my needs (and, with PPAs, anything that isn't already offered is so immature or niche that they don't offer ready-made builds, period), then I don't want my experience to regress.

I'm willing to accept a few temporary warts in exchange for more sandboxing, but I'm not willing to give up integration into my unified update notification.

Hell, being poked by WordPress about plugin updates is the number-one reason I'm trying to find time to migrate to static HTML for my blog. Static HTML never needs updates so long as a service like GitHub Pages is handling HTTP server updates for me but, at the same time, it never suffers from "the devs decided I needed a forced UI refresh" in any significant fashion either.

Comment

Snaps and Flatpak are better in those aspects than Appimages. One great thing on linux is that you have all the software on your system upgraded at once through the package manager of your distro.
            that's the one thing I hate the most about Linux. The goddamned package managers. Everything is so glued to the damned package manager.

I went as far as to cripple apt and dnf by deleting all their scripts and repository configurations after I installed the required libs and dev headers in my systems. Apt will never ever work on my Debian systems and DNf will never ever work on my Fedora systems permanently. Anything I want newer versions of, I build from source or download precompiled binaries in tarballs. I have enough of Linux being a bloody moving target all the time.

Microsoft got it right by limiting Windows updates only to drivers and Microsoft software.

Comment

I do use flatpaks and snaps to have some apps on the latest version. I have both integrated in KDE Plasma Discover so those Apps are always updated alongside my regular DEB packages. KDE did a very good job there in my opinion.

I also noticed that some flatpak Apps are offering options missing in the version available through the ubunturepos. The reason for that might be that flatpaks bring their own set of libraries while the DEB packages rely on systemlibraries.

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post

So choose "don't ask me again" and get on with your life. That's what I did ages before Flatpak because my customized Firefox .desktop files confused it.
                There's a "Don't show this message again" checkbox which I ticked, but it doesn't work, it asks me again next time !

Comment

that's the one thing I hate the most about Linux. The goddamned package managers. Everything is so glued to the damned package manager.

I went as far as to cripple apt and dnf by deleting all their scripts and repository configurations after I installed the required libs and dev headers in my systems. Apt will never ever work on my Debian systems and DNf will never ever work on my Fedora systems permanently. Anything I want newer versions of, I build from source or download precompiled binaries in tarballs. I have enough of Linux being a bloody moving target all the time.

Microsoft got it right by limiting Windows updates only to drivers and Microsoft software.
                  Wait, you talk like if you are using Windows, you will be those guys who disable the Windows Update and never turn it back on! There are so many system libraries / system utilities programs in usual Linux with GUI. It sounds crazy if someone want to watch out all of them manually if they get security updates and do the updates also manually all by oneself.

Comment

If you hate the paradigm so much, why not just use Linux From Scratch?

That aside, what your describing honestly sounds like "I'm American and a walking demonstration of why our country needs free mental health counselling services". Unless your machine is airgapped (in which case, the package manager would already do what you want), you really need those security updates. Just install Debian Stable or a RHEL derivative like AlmaLinux like a sane person.

Comment

I dont mind the package manager, but I find the lack of a reasonable alternative disappointing. One thing that I think windows absolutely does superior to linux for desktop is how the filesystem and binaries are executed. Load libraries like this. It's simple, Check Memory > Check Known DLLs (Dlls registered in registry) > Check system32 > Check windows > Finally check path.

this lets you use custom libraries that you can pack with your program (Also ensuring forward compatibility), Easily use modded libraries (god send for game modding), so on and so forth, I honestly wind up using wine for games more often than native gaming for this reason, and no, I do not find snaps, flats, or appimgs to be a suitable alternative.

and for everyone who claims it's a waste of space, it sure is, but considering how bloody cheap modern storage has gotten, IMO it is a more than fair tradeoff to make. I think both systems would work more than fine, hell it does work fine when using wine... when wine works...

Comment

Working...
                      X