Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Firefox 93 Primed For Release With AVIF Image Support, Canonical Managing Official Snap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SWY1985 View Post
    Fedora (used to?) default to installing dconf-editor as a flatpak, isolating it from the rest of the system...
    AFAIK outside of Silverblue, nothing has defaulted to installing flatpaks yet. What probably happened was that you had a flatpak repository enabled and then gnome-software did its thing presenting the flatpak as an option. I dont know if there is a way to set priorities here though.

(for me as I use Silverblue, I would always like flathub to be priority 1 followed by any other flatpak, followed by overlayed rpm.)

Throw in bubblewrap or firejail if you want sandboxing.
    Surely they must be including sandboxing already? especially as it is for a browser and one of the reasons for not having a deb will be increased security.

Comment

The main selling point for AppImage is not the sandboxing, but being able to drop a single file i into a folder and have it just work.... which is a thing, if the person making the AppImage did their job. If they did not, it still might not work everywhere.

Comment

People who wonder why Linux has less than 2% on the desktop should come read this thread.

Demands, insults, screaming, etc. etc. etc.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
          People who wonder why Linux has less than 2% on the desktop should come read this thread.

What, you were actually expecting some semblance of rationality in a forum dominated by people drunk on "muh FOSSZ way or teh HIGHWAYZ"?

And for what it's worth, the three month old bug affecting Firefox on KDE was closed without being fixed. Upstream's justification: It's a KDE problem. Excellent. Now I have to live with a Firefox-breaking bug for three years on Debian.

Maybe I'll just build 93 for shits and giggles and never use it. CPU time is cheap.
          Last edited by Sonadow; 05 October 2021, 04:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
            And for what it's worth, the three month old bug affecting Firefox on KDE was closed without being fixed. Upstream's justification: It's a KDE problem. Excellent. Now I have to live with a Firefox-breaking bug for three years on Debian.
            What is *the* "three month old bug affecting Firefox on KDE" and why would Debian not be able to backport a fix?

Comment

Having a distributionindependend way to bring software to linux is important if we ever want to make it above the 2% desktopmarketshare.

Appimages are the least favourable way in my opinion as they don't allow for a "central" update and they also integrate poorly into the desktopenvironment.

So snap and flatpak are the two viable options here in my opinion. Im on Kubuntu and i am happy with having both options (snaps and Flatpak) available for my system via Plasma Discover.

From an endusers perspective those things are just expected to work. I know about the fact the snapstorebackend has proprietary components. But again most users won't care about that.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post

The phoronix forums specifically are infamous for trolling. If you look at this famously barely moderated place as a representation, you're doing it wrong.

On topic again:

This firefox release will finally enable people to use hardware acceleration on X11 again https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1712665. There is no consumer hardware that can run WebGL at 4k@60FPS without this.

Hardware acceleration doesn't mean fully accelerated though, 2d canvas is unaccelerated on linux, but not on windows. https://np.reddit.com/r/firefox/comm...l_performance/

Comment

Originally posted by risho View Post

then everyone just grovels at the feet of everything everything red hat does: flatpak, systemd, wayland etc. i get it that canonical deserves SOME criticism SOMETIMES, but this thing where we worship everything red hat does and shit on everything canonical does is so fucking pathetic.
                  Ehm, Flatpak, systemd and wayland get tons of hate around the community for various reasons and usually some version of the great redhat conspiracy theory. systemd alone, while being probably the best thing since sliced bread is probably the most hated thing in the linux community ever.

Snap was very promising in its early days. A interesting approach to packaging and all the good things about it where later adopted into the flatpak concept.

What pisses people off are things like the still atrocious startup time, forced unasked updates, one forced and hardcoded package source with the package repo server being closed source. Flatpak is the opposite, as it is not using filesystem images that have to be mounted and loaded into memory apps start fast, no automatic updates via the flatpak tool by default, based on the idea of multiple repos freely chosen by the user with Flathub only being a example.

Comment

What, you were actually expecting some semblance of rationality in a forum dominated by people drunk on "muh FOSSZ way or teh HIGHWAYZ"?

Maybe I'll just build 93 for shits and giggles and never use it. CPU time is cheap.
                    Because the issue is a KDE issue and it has to be fixed on the KDE side. Open a issue on the KDE side.

Comment

And for what it's worth, the three month old bug affecting Firefox on KDE was closed without being fixed.
                      Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post
                      Because the issue is a KDE issue and it has to be fixed on the KDE side. Open a issue on the KDE side.
                      Alexmitter if you can't point to an issue, I presume that it's either trolling or fanboyism

Comment

Working...
                      X