Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lumina Desktop 1.6.1 Released With Theme Improvements While Bigger Improvements Planned

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lumina Desktop 1.6.1 Released With Theme Improvements While Bigger Improvements Planned

Phoronix: Lumina Desktop 1.6.1 Released With Theme Improvements While Bigger Improvements Planned

The Lumina Desktop Environment as the BSD-3 licensed desktop originally spearheaded for TrueOS/PC-BSD but found supported as well by other BSDs and Linux distributions is out with a rare new release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Reminds me a bit of Fluxbox.

Nice that they got some improvements from downstreams.

I wish they would use the 2-clause BSD license instead of the 3-clause BSD license though.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      It was based on Fluxbox

Comment

switching over to the Qt6 tool-kit, get Wayland support in place, a rework to the window manager code, and other additions.
        Can't they just adopt and use KDE Plasma and just call it a day ?
        Why reinvent the wheel all the time ?

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
          Can't they just adopt and use KDE Plasma and just call it a day ?
          Why reinvent the wheel all the time ?
          Because KDE plasma uses tons of resources( like the new versions of gnome).
          KDE 3.5( trinity DE ) is ok on resources, but its ambient is a bit outdated, to change a theme you have a long way to go for example..

Lumina runs in a bit more than a hundred MB..

The only problem I see with projects using it, is that they tend to go with zfs..
          If they had the vision to go with ext4, the project would have more acceptance than it has today..

Comment

I really think this DE was dead since trueos died, any future in this desktop?

Comment

Originally posted by andre30correia View Post
              I really think this DE was dead since trueos died, any future in this desktop?
              Yes, it says so in the blog post. The current leader of the project is keeping it going with Project Trident which is based on Void Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by tuxd3v View Post

Lumina runs in a bit more than a hundred MB..
                Out of curiosity: how much more?

Would like to compare it...

Comment

KDE 3.5( trinity DE ) is ok on resources, but its ambient is a bit outdated, to change a theme you have a long way to go for example..
                  Not really. There's a modern theme now called Debonaire, created by the Q4OS devs, which is based on Breeze's look-and-feel, and a new icon set from the same devs based on Papirus. There's also nice dark theme on trinity-look.org for the dark lovers among us.

Comment

We use Fluxbox for the window management.

I wish they would use the 2-clause BSD license instead of the 3-clause BSD license though.
                    Is there any particular reason the endorsement clause is a problem?

The only problem I see with projects using it, is that they tend to go with zfs..
                    I'm also the maintainer of Fedora Jam, one of these days I'll probably get around to making a Lumina Spin of Fedora.

Originally posted by lyamc View Post
                    Yes, it says so in the blog post. The current leader of the project is keeping it going with Project Trident which is based on Void Linux.
                    Not true anymore. I helped Ken start Project Trident when TrueOS killed off the desktop version. As at the time he and I were both part of the TrueOS Team, and were the two guys taking care of the desktop side of things.
                    Project Trident was based on FreeBSD initially, however about a year later Ken, the Trident Lead Dev, decided to rebase on Void Linux.
                    Ken is still in charge of Trident, but he's stepped back from Lumina Development.

Comment

Working...
                    X