Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Red Hat / Fedora To Focus On Driving New Linux Video Improvements Around PipeWire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by perpetually high View Post
    Haven't read the thread yet but:

No one can tell me Wim Taymans isn't a fake name 🤣🤣

That's obviously Tim Waymans. Laughing my ass off here. If his name is really Wim Taymans, I apologize. That's a freaking awesome name.

edit: https://twitter.com/wtaymans. I stand corrected. Real name, no gimmicks. Awesome guy, better name, and even better project.
    Yeah, if it makes you feel any better:

A) I thought the same thing.
    B) I can't read about Eric Biggers without this scene playing out in my head. He does a lot of compression and encryption work. You're not alone in finding humor in odd places.

Comment

skeevy420 that video !! 🤣🤣 can't stop laughing.

Comment

No one can tell me Wim Taymans isn't a fake name 🤣🤣

That's obviously Tim Waymans.
        ??? The latter sounds quite fake to me, the former does not.

Dutch/Flemish vs English name clash, I suppose. ;-P

Comment

skeevy420 that video !! 🤣🤣 can't stop laughing.
          If you've never watched it, Life of Brian is a hilarious movie. A skit from that movie was used as a kernel release name and pissed off half the community. It was great.

Comment

Originally posted by oiaohm View Post

Yes and no.
            Agreed.
            Complexity needs to sit somewhere. The trick is in finding the right place for it.

Comment

I'm on pulseaudio (like most Linux users) and I don't recall experiencing any issues. What problems were so common that it warranted Pipewire development as a replacement?

Comment

Originally posted by Zoll View Post
                I'm on pulseaudio (like most Linux users) and I don't recall experiencing any issues. What problems were so common that it warranted Pipewire development as a replacement?
                Those who want professional audio in Linux rely on Jack, but this method is quite complex. Pipewire should fix some usability issues, as well as replace Pulse for everyday use, which should also fix some latency issues.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
                  Too bad Canonical is shitty again and prefers to wait 5-10 years until they adopt it for Ubuntu and only after that, maybe give a hand to improve it.
                  If it's really Canonical they will first create an alternative that does pretty much the same thing but different, then use that for 5 years to only dump it for PipeWire.

Comment

Originally posted by david-nk View Post
                    I find it frustrating that every time a system component has reached a stable status (in this case, Pulseaudio, which is finally rock-stable after 15 years of development), it gets replaced by something else and then we get another 5-15 years of bugs and missing functionality. One can hope it's different with PipeWire, but history shows it would be a foolish hope.
                    PW works better for me for many different usecases from gaming to audio production. It is already mostly stable and bugs are squashed with speed of light. There's also full backwards compatibility and a lot functionality that PA will never get. Making the switch felt like a huge upgrade to the audio stack.

Comment

oh shut the front door. WIM TAYMANS ??? nuh uh

Comment

Working...
                      X