Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pipe13
    replied
    It's been a very informative thread, guys... Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• doom_Oo7
    replied
    Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
    Can someone explain this better ?
    Which point releases, as 6.2 is a point release too of version 6.
    6.2.x releases are intended for commercial customers or 6.2.0 too ?
    As a KDE Plasma and a few Qt-based programs too user, I don't understand what will happen with these projects that depend on Qt.
    Is there any exception for open source programs or they need to pay money too ?
    I don't understand if Qt is open source anymore.

Qt 4.x:
    Qt 4.1 is released, Qt 4.0 is not supported anymore (commercial customers can always send $$$ to Trolltech / Nokia / Digia if they really need a bugfix on 4.0)
    Qt 4.2 is released, Qt 4.1 is not supported anymore (same as above)
    Qt 4.3 is released, Qt 4.3 is not supported anymore (same as above)
    ... ditto up to 4.8 ...

Qt 5.x:
    Qt 5.8 is released, Qt 5.7 is not supported anymore (same as above)
    Qt 5.9 LTS is released, Qt 5.8 is not supported anymore (same as above)
    Qt 5.9.1 is released (5.9.0 not supported anymore)
    Qt 5.9.2 is released (5.9.1 not supported anymore)
    Qt 5.10 is released, Qt 5.9 branch still gets patch releases
    Qt 5.10.1 is released (5.10 not supported anymore)
    Qt 5.9.3 is released (5.9.2 not supported anymore)
    Qt 5.9.4 is released (5.9.3 not supported anymore)

etc etc until 5.9 reaches the end of the support

which gets us to Qt 5.15:
    5.15.0 is released (5.12 still gets some level of LTS I think, 5.9 not anymore)
    5.15.1 -> everyone gets it
    5.15.2 -> everyone gets it
    6.0 released -> 5.15.2 not supported anymore (like for Qt 5.7 when 5.8 was released !)
    5.15.3 -> only commercial customers get it. But for LGPL users this only reverts back to the pre-LTS status quo: if you want more updates, you pay (and that works for every open-source vendor, you could even pay another company to make you some Qt patches)
    6.1 released -> 6.0 not supported anymore
    5.15.4 -> only commercial customers get it. like above.
    6.2 released -> 6.1 not supported anymore
    6.2.1 -> everyone will get it
    6.3 -> when it is released 6.2.x will stop getting new LGPL releases

Note that the way Qt development works is that patches *always* go into the dev branch first, which trickles down version to version, e.g. if today there's a patch to Qt, first it has to land in dev, where it will first be applied to 6.3, then 6.2, then the next 6.2.x, then maybe 5.15.

Leave a comment:

• Nth_man
    replied
    Originally posted by pipe13 View Post

[...] security updates [...]
    The Qt Company will bring security fixes for past branches of Qt. Distros also apply KDE's Qt5 Patch Collection. The latest Qt version will get all the fixes.

As a Qt and Intel developer [wrote](https://mail.kde.org/pipermail/kde-c.../006679.html):
    Let me be very clear so there's no mistake: all security issues will be dealt
    with in all branches, to the extent that we are able to reproduce them and
    confirm them. We usually identify down to the point release where security
    issues apply and will continue to do so.

-- Thiago Macieira

Leave a comment:

• carewolf
    replied
    Originally posted by ddriver View Post
    They stupidly scrapped windows 7 support, in order to extort even more potential commercial users, since only they get fixes for 5.15.

And yes, w7 is officially no longer supported by MS, but it still has some 16% of market share, with no sign of dropping.

And if 16% doesn't sound like much, it is still 10 times more than linux desktop users.

I am tempted to migrate for the fixes, but then I'd have to double my maintenance efforts or leave behind users, deal with the different build system they mandated, the deprecated features and whatnot.

Worst part of this is they could possibly make it work, in fact their first release of 6 happened work out great, and then they broke it.
    It is just to drop things Qt doesn't want to support for the next 6 years. Same with a lot of platforms. See also 32bit x86 or platforms without C++17 compilers.

Leave a comment:

• ddriver
    replied
    They stupidly scrapped windows 7 support, in order to extort even more potential commercial users, since only they get fixes for 5.15.

And yes, w7 is officially no longer supported by MS, but it still has some 16% of market share, with no sign of dropping.

And if 16% doesn't sound like much, it is still 10 times more than linux desktop users.

I am tempted to migrate for the fixes, but then I'd have to double my maintenance efforts or leave behind users, deal with the different build system they mandated, the deprecated features and whatnot.

Worst part of this is they could possibly make it work, in fact their first release of 6 happened work out great, and then they broke it.

Leave a comment:

• DanL
    replied
    Originally posted by pracedru View Post
    This new Open source release strategy really is very sad. I hope they will reconsider. Either that or we need to step up and make a port.
    The only time the LTS licensing thing really becomes an issue is when Qt goes to the next major version.
    And KDE (et al) has found a way to work around that: https://community.kde.org/Qt5PatchCollection

Leave a comment:

• Morty
    replied
    Originally posted by pipe13 View Post
    We'll have to see whether or not Qt 6.3.0 will break ABI compatibility with 6.2.x,
    In that case it's a bug. Since Qt always keeps combability for major versions.
    E.g. your application compiled against Qt 5.0 runs just fine if you upgrade your lib to Qt 5.15.

Leave a comment:

• pracedru
    replied
    This new Open source release strategy really is very sad.
    I hope they will reconsider.
    Either that or we need to step up and make a fork.
    Last edited by pracedru; 01 October 2021, 08:35 AM.

Leave a comment:

• eyesore
    replied
    Originally posted by uid313 View Post
    I hope to see VLC media player get ported from Qt 5 to Qt 6.
    Even if they port it over it won't fix the new and terrible GUI of the VLC 4.0. I wish they would've kept the current UI.

Leave a comment:

• pipe13
    replied
    Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
    Can someone explain this better ?
    Which point releases, as 6.2 is a point release too of version 6.
    6.2.x releases are intended for commercial customers or 6.2.0 too ?
    As a KDE Plasma and a few Qt-based programs too user, I don't understand what will happen with these projects that depend on Qt.
    Is there any exception for open source programs or they need to pay money too ?
    I don't understand if Qt is open source anymore.
    Qt is open source in the same sense as Fedora. Fedora releases are well-supported for one year. After that, yes they still work -- but security updates are not Fedora's problem. You are welcome (and encouraged) to "sudo dnf system-upgrade download --releasever=<your vurrent verion +1>" to continue with a supported version.

There are differences, of course. We'll have to see whether or not Qt 6.3.0 will break ABI compatibility with 6.2.x, but the API will likely be compatible so you're at worst only a re-compile away.

I personally don't see any downside here: I get incredibly useful free software, and the company who writes it receives a revenue stream to maintain it and develop it further.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X