Qt 6.2 LTS Released With Qt6 Now Aiming To Be Ready For Widespread Adoption

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Qt 6.2 LTS Released With Qt6 Now Aiming To Be Ready For Widespread Adoption

Phoronix: Qt 6.2 LTS Released With Qt6 Now Aiming To Be Ready For Widespread Adoption

Qt 6.2 LTS is out today as the first long-term support release in the Qt6 series and also with all of the major modules now ported over from Qt5 in aiming to make this a suitable point to transition from Qt 5.15 LTS...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by Michael
    As with Qt 5.15 that proved to be controversial, Qt 6.2 LTS point releases are just intended for The Qt Company's commercial customers.
    Not exactly.

"Both open-source and commercial users receive Qt 6.2.0 and all the Qt 6.2.x patch releases created until the Qt 6.3.0 release (in H1/2022). After Qt 6.3 is released, the subsequent patch releases of Qt 6.2 will be available only for commercial license holders." -- https://www.qt.io/blog/qt-roadmap-for-2021

Comment

It will be interesting to see what things KDE can do when it eventually has switched to Qt6 in a few years.

Comment

I hope to see VLC media player get ported from Qt 5 to Qt 6.

Comment

And now all attention shifts to KDE.
          Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet?

Comment

Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post
            It will be interesting to see what things KDE can do when it eventually has switched to Qt6 in a few years.
            I don't expect many (if any) new things. Since Qt6 is mostly a cleaned up Qt5, I'd expect cleaner KDE code, too, which, in turn, should lead to fewer papercuts.

Comment

Qt 6.2 LTS point releases are just intended for The Qt Company's commercial customers.
              Can someone explain this better ?
              Which point releases, as 6.2 is a point release too of version 6.
              6.2.x releases are intended for commercial customers or 6.2.0 too ?
              As a KDE Plasma and a few Qt-based programs too user, I don't understand what will happen with these projects that depend on Qt.
              Is there any exception for open source programs or they need to pay money too ?
              I don't understand if Qt is open source anymore.

Comment

Danny3
                6.x.0, 6.x.1, and 6.x.2 are open source
                6.x.3 and beyond are commercial

Kde is maintaining a subset of stability patches while they move to Qt 6 https://community.kde.org/Qt5PatchCollection
                There are no exceptions for open source projects, however I don't think anything will happen to most them.

Small to medium sized commercial projects are those "suffering" the most from this decision, mostly because tQtC has no "medium priced" licencing options...

Comment

My take on this is the open source ppl using qt are essentially being forced into a beta position to test for the paying customers... Is this accurate?

Comment

Originally posted by cytomax55 View Post
                    My take on this is the open source ppl using qt are essentially being forced into a beta position to test for the paying customers... Is this accurate?
                    Not in the slightest. Bugfixes in LTS branches are merged into later versions as well. E.g. whatever is behind a paywall in 6.2.7, you'll get in 6.3 or 6.4. This is just a means to get money from companies that stick with LTS versions. Those companies are making money off of Qt, so they shouldn't have a problem forking out some cash so that we can continue to have nice things.

Comment

Working...
                    X