X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Go_Vulkan
    replied
    Originally posted by alcalde View Post
    Why should LIbreOffice look different? It looks like everyone expects office software to look like.
    While "ugly" or "nice" is just a question of personal taste, my first and foremost concern is getting my work done. Have no problem with the user interface.

Just in 2020 there were over 17,000 code commits and people are saying "Nothing's changed!"
    The list of improvements is MASSIVE and I can't wrap my mind around the people claiming nothing has changed... what do you think all of those commits have been for?
    Nice to see that some people are still able to use facts instead of behaving like an immature child.

Many of these changes actually improved my daily work.
    Last edited by Go_Vulkan; 02 October 2021, 02:33 PM.

Leave a comment:

• alcalde
    replied
    Originally posted by rmfx View Post

When I use it, except minor changes here and here, I still see OOo. 10 years and it still mostly the exact same thing. Worst, some UI elements that were ugly 10 years ago are still here and still ugly today. Instead of abstracting the UI to support many libs, they should just redo it without abstraction, clean, for once and for all!

After 10 years of many commits as you say, the suite should look and feel VASTLY different and better than what it is today. I supported them when they forked and I feel so fooled today.
    You have to turn on the new interface features.

With free and open source software, you get back control – over your software, your data, and your computer as a whole. And in the LibreOffice community, we strive to create the best user experience, but we also recognise that different users have different requirements. To this end, LibreOffice includes three main user interface designs, […]

Why should LIbreOffice look different? It looks like everyone expects office software to look like. The list of improvements is MASSIVE and I can't wrap my mind around the people claiming nothing has changed... what do you think all of those commits have been for? It's OpenOffice whose only commits nowadays are changes to the dictionary or language translations.

Comparison of LibreOffice and OpenOffice. LibreOffice is the evolution of OpenOffice, with extra features, better Microsoft compatibility, and regular releases.

Just in 2020 there were over 17,000 code commits and people are saying "Nothing's changed!" That may be because you're one of the majority of people who only use about 1% of the features in any office product, so you don't notice all the changes. OOXML support, multithreaded support for calc, PDF support, Epub export... there have been a great deal of changes.

LibreOffice is the successor project to OpenOffice, which had its last major release (4.1) back in 2014, as you can see in this timeline – click to enlarge. And, of course, it’s still free and open source: We release a new major version every six months – so let’s check out some of the great […]

Just look at all the improvements in a single release....

LibreOffice 7.0, a new version of the popular open source Office suite, has been released to the public

Leave a comment:

• danmcgrew
    replied
    Originally posted by rmfx View Post

When I use it, except minor changes here and here, I still see OOo. 10 years and it still mostly the exact same thing. Worst, some UI elements that were ugly 10 years ago are still here and still ugly today. Instead of abstracting the UI to support many libs, they should just redo it without abstraction, clean, for once and for all!

After 10 years of many commits as you say, the suite should look and feel VASTLY different and better than what it is today. I supported them when they forked and I feel so fooled today.
    How does that saying go?...

"Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."

...Only problem is that apparently most LO users are not equipped to realize---or admit to the fact of---how often they have been, and are continually being, not just fooled, but taken for fools.

Leave a comment:

• danmcgrew
    replied
    Originally posted by Go_Vulkan View Post
    We don't need your fake "translations". Neither the highly aggressive ones that had to be deleted, nor this one.
    What you really mean is, "I don't need..."
    Here's a big, big suggestion, rocket scientist: don't read it / them.
    And the proper word is "nor"; not "neither"; get some grammar lessons. Quickly. (They won't help with all those other, more serious problems, however.)
    Try again; of this WE can all be certain.
    Do better next time.

"One can well understand the honourable gentleman's desire to prattle on...he needs the practice badly."---Sir Winston Churchill

Leave a comment:

• rmfx
    replied

What the heck are you talking about? The number of commits have been massive; it's OpenOffice where development has stalled. They did add a new optional UI, significant new features, better performance, and cleaned up the code base.

Leave a comment:

• Go_Vulkan
    replied
    For the functions I really use in LibreOffice (meaning "more often") I define my own shortcuts. There is no faster way.

I have colleges who switched to LibO, who found MS Word "complicated" after some time. They once said the same about LibO, so I really think it only depends on what you are used to.

Leave a comment:

• Charlie68
    replied
    Originally posted by tornado99 View Post
    "optional new UI" is that a joke? The 7 options are just rearrangements of the same 1990s dated interface.
    Just yesterday I was at a friend's house and I had to edit some documents, so he made me use Office on W10, I found it terribly inconvenient to use, maybe it's because I'm not used to it, but in my opinion it sucks, it seems designed for children of the asylum, they also charge for it ...

Leave a comment:

• Go_Vulkan
    replied
    We don't need your fake "translations". Neither the highly aggressive ones that had to be deleted, nor this one.

Leave a comment:

• danmcgrew
    replied
    Originally posted by Go_Vulkan View Post
    I think, the sort of people who is constantly whining like this

just don't have a clue how big the task "New user interface" really is - for a software that is
    • as old as the LibreOffice codebase
    • as huge as LibreOffice
    • runs on multiple operating systems
    Moreover, you cannot just have any programmer accomplish this task. Apparently, the big companies who sponsor developers for LibreOffice have other priorities.

Anyway, we shouldn't waste our time with that. The article came with news about Qt6-Support evolving, which is good news!

Translation:
    "Anyway, I'm going to TRY and totally change the subject because this is turning out badly for me..."

Leave a comment:

• Go_Vulkan
    replied
    Originally posted by uid313 View Post
    But how is the GTK4 work coming along?
    Have a look here: https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Development/GTK4

Leave a comment:

Working...
X