No announcement yet.

Firefox 92 vs. Chrome 94 Browser Benchmarks On Ubuntu Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1. Optane as a "bencjmark" has been retired by Google (in 2017!), as it doesnt test anything that is important for the web. In fact, optimizing for Octane reduces performance in real-world code that runs on website . See the V8 dev blog : https://v8.dev/blog/retiring-octane .
    2. Same with Kraken and Sunspider - Mozilla retired it years ago.
    3. WTH is "Maze solver" even testing that you have included it in this test, and that I should care about?
    4. Jetstream and ARES-6 test more or less similar functionality... You should use either of the two

Comment

Outch, this really touched the wound of a very vocal Firefox fanbase.

Comment

Sorry, but I use Firefox containerized and with many other add-ons, which makes my browsing a breeze. How do I know? Well, I'm a 'go to' man for many people with problems with their MAC and Windows equipment. Sometimes I get confronted with what they use browsing the hell, what they call the internet. No benchmark can show this. Well, it pays for my hobbies, so I have that going and no, I don't try to convert them to Linux or install add-ons for them. I'm not ready for 'help desk hell'. I'm not a masochist.

Let me it put it this way, they need to squeeze every ounce of JavaScript speed out of their browser to serve the commercial hell to their eyes. I don't....

The same goes for the reason why I use Linux/Firefox and not my Android phone to 'surf the Webs'.
        Last edited by markus40; 27 September 2021, 03:50 AM.

Comment

I suppose Michael should test memory consumption during these tests. And yes, we should find better benchmarks for browsers.

Comment

The same old story - Firefox better at everything else than JavaScript, and Chrome killing the JavaScript area.

Comment

Originally posted by brad0 View Post
              The SUV analogy is awful. They're more like 500 bhp with a chassis that weighs twice as much as the race car. SUV's are poor to maneuver and bloated ass heavy. Just another example of North American ignorance and stupidity.
              Originally posted by pal666 View Post
              don't worry, europeans are no less gullible and ready to pay more for "larger"(by air drag metric certainly) car. suv sales are on the rise in europe for many years
              Originally posted by Hibbelharry View Post
              The SUV analogy was awful, but yours is not any better.
              My SUV analogy was spot on, sorry not sorry.
              I'm European (which already defeats 1st quoted comment), and SUVs have been the main market segment of cars sold for 3-5 years now. That's where profits are made in Europe at the moment (probably followed by electric cars). They are the most versatile cars on the market right now, which was my point regarding Firefox.
              Nobody cares about speed in real life conditions (except on the autobahn), but us users we care about bringing back packed furniture from Ikea (harder in a sedan), we care about commuting with confort, we care about trunk/boot space for holidays, we care about having enough space for the kids at the back, and optionally we care about a bit of fun on curvy and mountain roads or about being able to drive on uneven gravel roads. All of that can be done with a SUV, less so with an estate/station wagon, a sedan or a hatchback.
              Also, contrary to 1st quoted comment (that one is really wrong on every aspect), they're neither harder to maneuver than a sedan (same 2D dimensions) nor heavier (not for the last 5 years models...). That's why they're all the rage, independently of whether one likes them or not.
              Chrome is horrible at versatility and can't handle load (many tabs open) properly. And there's basically nothing you can tweak to improve things. That's why once again it's a fast beast completely useless in day-to-day situations. It shines in benchmarks, but when you want to use it, you can't do anything properly with it.
              Last edited by Mez'; 27 September 2021, 06:04 AM.

Comment

I miss the "geometric overall" benchmark summary. It is clear that Chrome is faster though.

In my day-to-day I don't really mind though and I feel Firefox is fast for me, my problem with Firefox is that it is lacking in features, usability and web standards.
                The form handling is much better in Edge, you can show/hide passwords, have a clear button in input type search, much better support for the datalist element across input elements. Firefox has poor handling, doesn't support the dialog element, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by RomuloP View Post
                  Outch, this really touched the wound of a very vocal Firefox fanbase.
                  Not one bit. Everybody knows Chrome is good at benchmarking. But nobody actually cares about these when browsing.

Originally posted by Mario Junior View Post

Who the hell uses more than 100 tabs? Seems like a /g/ user with thousand tabs opened.
                  I do.
                  A while back, I had 870 tabs open. I have a huge number open especially when leaving a research pending on a topic, so that I can take it on when I make time. But I usually have around 200 tabs in 5-7 windows, organized by themes (like I would use workspaces).
                  And with Firefox, I never ever lose them. I still have tabs open for more than 2 years back. And yes, I will come back to them at some point. So no, limitation period doesn't apply.

Comment

Originally posted by Mez' View Post
                    I had 870 tabs open. ... But I usually have around 200 tabs in 5-7 windows
                    It's funny you didn't discover the concept of bookmarks or trying to get organized.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                      It is clear that Chrome is faster though.

In my day-to-day I don't really mind though and I feel Firefox is fast for me, my problem with Firefox is that it is lacking in features, usability and web standards.
                      The form handling is much better in Edge, you can show/hide passwords, have a clear button in input type search, much better support for the datalist element across input elements. Firefox has poor handling, doesn't support the dialog element, etc.
                      Chrome is faster, but it's because it's at version 94 while Firefox only at 92.

Comment

Working...
                      X