Firefox 92 vs. Chrome 94 Browser Benchmarks On Ubuntu Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
    Or how poor even mouse scrolling speed is configurable on Linux + dumb defaults. These are real world problems for me that Chromium has but Firefox doesn't.
    And that's the reason why since switching to Firefox I can't go back to any Chromium based browser. Chromium simply doesn't have anything nearly as customisable as about:config, where I tuned the scrolling acceleration curve to my comfort. You simply can't do that on Chromium. All you have there are some crappy extensions that barely work. I would also say that the browser ui is smoother in Firefox and smooth scrolling is also smoother (on Chromium it's more stuttery at least on Linux).

Comment

Originally posted by user1 View Post
      And that's the reason why since switching to Firefox I can't go back to any Chromium based browser. Chromium simply doesn't have anything nearly as customisable as about:config, where I tuned the scrolling acceleration curve to my comfort. You simply can't do that on Chromium. All you have there are some crappy extensions that barely work. I would also say that the browser ui is smoother in Firefox and smooth scrolling is also smoother (on Chromium it's more stuttery at least on Linux).
      100% agreed. Chromium's scrolling is more stuttery even on Android (WebRender has come a long way), but also Windows.

Comment

Chromium is still missing prefers-color-scheme.

Comment

I am using Chrome in wayland (native) and scrolling is better than on Xorg, however I have enabled a couple of flags, but to my taste this is perfect.

Comment

I don't see any life without Firefox Multi-Account Containers.

Comment

I can get hardware accelerated video on Firefox but not Chromium/Brave. Scrolling feels smoother on Firefox too. It just shows me that benchmarks don't really matter.

Comment

Pretty sure so long as you can get what you need done with a minimal of hassle, benchmarks like this are irrelevant outside of their debugging value. Microsoft (yes I know, blah blah Microsoft) has been making noises in that direction as well. Ironic considering computer history, but there you are. Chrome's team has been pursuing projects without caring whether or not users need them, whether or not they are likely to cause security headaches, and without regard to user privacy - and as far as I'm concerned privacy and security can't be wholly separated.

Comment

Originally posted by Mez' View Post
                  Chrome is a 600bhp racing Dacia, fast but utter crap.

Chrome has been stripped down of everything useful and is fast, like a racing car with the driver's seat only and a bare metal interior.
                  Like a racing car though, once on the roads there's nothing you can do comfortably with it. And there are so many limitations to it that you prefer the more versatile 150 bhp SUV, that is not as fast but with which you can hit your commute as much as your errands or your holidays travel. Even Microsoft have understood that with Edge.
                  And indeed it's quickly become the only decent competition to Firefox.

Google is sabotaging Chrome, probably a bit less on the desktop than on the mobile front where it's already unusable. It's already dying the way IE did.
                  That is exactly how Firefox is. The dumb wankers at Mozilla Corp have been destroying everything about Firefox and turning it into a useless pile of crap. Hell bent on sabotaging any success they might have at literally every turn. It's no surprise Firefox has been losing it's userbase at an alarming rate.

Also the last Firefox UI redesign was a complete joke. It's like they were copying the Fisher Price designed UI macOS Big Sur picked up.

The SUV analogy is awful. They're more like 500 bhp with a chassis that weighs twice as much as the race car. SUV's are poor to maneuver and bloated ass heavy. Just another example of North American ignorance and stupidity.

Comment

Originally posted by stormcrow View Post
                    Chrome's team has been pursuing projects without caring whether or not users need them
                    So has Mozilla Corp. They do it ALL the time. That is their MO.

Comment

Originally posted by brad0 View Post
                      SUV's are poor to maneuver and bloated ass heavy. Just another example of North American ignorance and stupidity.
                      don't worry, europeans are no less gullible and ready to pay more for "larger"(by air drag metric certainly) car. suv sales are on the rise in europe for many years

Comment

Working...
                      X