Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Plasma 5.24 On Wayland To Support DRM Leasing For VR Headsets

Phoronix: KDE Plasma 5.24 On Wayland To Support DRM Leasing For VR Headsets

With the KDE Plasma 5.23 release quickly approaching, feature development is already heating up for Plasma 5.24 while concurrently driving many fixes into the v5.23 codebase...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Will be interesting to see if DRM leasing will also be useful for other purposes, e.g. to act as a true fullscreen exclusive mode that allows to swap all VRAM allocations into RAM that aren't by DRM + the leased application. While this makes things like alt + tab slower, it might be worth it to make the risk of disgusting VRAM pressure stutter as unlikely as possible.

Comment

I am testing Plasma 5.23 (beta) wayland in Tumbleweed and I must say they have solved all those annoying little problems that were on 5.22. Now there is also animation when starting applications, I don't use dual monitors, so in these cases I don't know how it works, but for me it's ok. It works really well. By the way I am also using native wayland Chrome and it too is working fine.
      Basically since I upgraded, I haven't started an Xorg session yet ...

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie68 View Post
        I am testing Plasma 5.23 (beta) wayland in Tumbleweed and I must say they have solved all those annoying little problems that were on 5.22.
        I'm on 5.23beta as well, but it's still horrible on multiple monitors; panels on the wrong monitor, (context) menus that are placed everywhere except the expected place, apps opening in tiny window (konsole you have to search since it's 5x10px or something)

Comment

Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
          Will be interesting to see if DRM leasing will also be useful for other purposes, e.g. to act as a true fullscreen exclusive mode
          One issue with that is input. There are no input events from the display server for leased outputs, so the application would need to get direct access to input devices somehow.

that allows to swap all VRAM allocations into RAM that aren't by DRM + the leased application.
          DRM leasing doesn't give any control over VRAM management, only over the leased KMS resources.

Comment

Originally posted by accumulator View Post

I'm on 5.23beta as well, but it's still horrible on multiple monitors; panels on the wrong monitor, (context) menus that are placed everywhere except the expected place, apps opening in tiny window (konsole you have to search since it's 5x10px or something)
            It seemed to me that I was clear

I don't use dual monitors
            Whenever I have tried to use multiple monitors I have had bad experiences, both on Xorg, on Wayland, on Gnome, and on KDE.
            So not having this need I will wait for better support.

Comment

Working...
            X