Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chrome 95 Beta Completely Removes Deprecated FTP Support, Reduced User Agent Info Trial

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by perpetually high View Post

Yeah that's a fair reply actually. I was being absolutely serious, but also half-serious because Chrome crushes Firefox still in *some* benchmarks, but in real-world it's hard to tell, or in the situations that you just laid out.

But then again, Chrome ain't that much of a darling either. Probably better browsers out there if we're using that as a measuring stick. But your point still stands.
    I notice performance difference b/w chrome and Firefox in IRL usage on every page. chrome being better on performance. Chrome loads java script heavy pages better than Firefox. Also chrome opens faster than Firefox on my 4 GB ram laptop. The difference gets wider on android, where chromium based browsers performing better than FF.

Comment

Originally posted by arun54321 View Post

I notice performance difference b/w chrome and Firefox in IRL usage on every page. chrome being better on performance. Chrome loads java script heavy pages better than Firefox. Also chrome opens faster than Firefox on my 4 GB ram laptop. The difference gets wider on android, where chromium based browsers performing better than FF.
      Firefox has never been faster than Chrome / Chromium on any platform, not even in RL use.

Don't let anybody try to convince you otherwise. Anyone who does almost always has a certain agenda to push.

Firefox's only advantages over Chrome in Linux are its more mature Wayland support, WebRender being able to operate correctly in both hardware accelerated and software rendering modes, and ability to use ibus/fcitx inputs. Everything else it loses. Hard.
      Last edited by Sonadow; 24 September 2021, 12:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by arun54321 View Post

Chrome definitely has faster startup, that's always been true. They do more tricks to ensure everything loads up nicely.

In terms of site performance, I have a lot of different tweaks across the entire network pipeline from OS to app level that ensures that is smooth as butter. So I'm trying to make the browser as quick and efficient as possible.

Here's a quick video capture comparing the startup between Chrome and Firefox on my PC. Not entirely an apple to apples comparison because Chrome is fresh with zero addons/config changes and Firefox is my daily driver with currently 4 extensions installed.

I don't care about the subtle speed differences at that point honestly. Firefox is fast enough now for me. Wasn't always true. Plus, it looks *way* better than Chrome. (but not fair here because this is Vanilla chrome + my customized Firefox, but point still stands).

Comment

Originally posted by perpetually high View Post

Chrome definitely has faster startup, that's always been true. They do more tricks to ensure everything loads up nicely.

In terms of site performance, I have a lot of different tweaks across the entire network pipeline from OS to app level that ensures that is smooth as butter. So I'm trying to make the browser as quick and efficient as possible.

Here's a quick video capture comparing the startup between Chrome and Firefox on my PC. Not entirely an apple to apples comparison because Chrome is fresh with zero addons/config changes and Firefox is my daily driver with currently 4 extensions installed.

I don't care about the subtle speed differences at that point honestly. Firefox is fast enough now for me. Wasn't always true. Plus, it looks *way* better than Chrome. (but not fair here because this is Vanilla chrome + my customized Firefox, but point still stands).
          In my use, the speed difference isn't crippling, so I keep using Firefox for a couple reasons:

1- I'm addicted to the old RSS feeder Firefox had and now is up to a add-on to carry on. Never found one in Chrome that offered the exactly same functionality;
          2- Video autoplay is blocked by default. Up yours, degenerate web developers... ;
          3- AFAIK, is the only Linux browser with functional hardware video decoding;

Among another small things, like actual Wayland support.

In the speed front, This morning I tested Ubuntu 14.04 and Firefox 66 in the under-powered netbook, and the speed was considerably better. Looks like Firefox is becoming more bloated. That or systemd is the culprit :-)

Comment

1. Its true, Chrome/chromium benchmarks better than Firefox. But firefox is standards compliant, works, and never had an issue where it was a problem. All content runs without problems on firefox, even in multple tabs
            2. Firefox has a better experience with plugins, from writing them, to hosting them, to running them, to having more useful/better features
            3. No google telemetry that is hard to remove/patch out, less subversive overall.

As far as FTP. There is no reason for this to be in a web browser. FTPS, and even FTP still has some limited uses in 2021, all of which are better served with rsync or advanced FTP clients, or even more complicated sync utilities.

Comment

Originally posted by jabl View Post
              Time for IT to get off their asses and switch to HTTP(S) or SFTP.
              FTP works just fine. All you need is encryption, which is then called FTPS. Basically FTPS is to FTP what HTTPS is to HTTP.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
                FTP works just fine. All you need is encryption, which is then called FTPS. Basically FTPS is to FTP what HTTPS is to HTTP.
                No, FTP is not fine. FTPS only fixed one of the major problems with the protocol. The others are not really fixable without a redesign of the entire protocol, in which case it won't be FTP anymore. Good riddance to FTP!

Comment

Wayland support is progressing nicely with Ozone. Drag and drop now works on Chrome Dev version 96.0.4651.0. Run google-chrome-unstable --ozone-platform=wayland from the command line to check for yourself.

Comment

Meanwhile, Fedora is still customizing the user-agent string in their build of Firefox, because it is extremely important to let every webmaster on the internet know whether you're using the flatpak or the distribution package, and if so, which distribution.

Comment

Working...
                    X