• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bple2137
    replied
    Originally posted by mppix View Post

This sounds so passive-agressive...

What is wrong with at least one open-source DE developing an independent UI design paradigm?
    I get it, it is not for everybody but there are already enough Win95 copycats out there.
    Gnome can try new things as far as I am concerned and tbh it works. Quite well actually.
    I wasn't only referring to desktop icons, but it's perfect example of what I meant. I use GNOME on one of my machines for good reasons, but I have to compensate features like dock or tray icons (yeah, yeah, those are pointles win95/osx features) with extensions that tend to cause unnecessary problems.

Leave a comment:

• oiaohm
    replied
    Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
    I reckon if people need that tidbit of information they're not smart enough to use a can opener.

All jokes aside, have fun with your release.
    The ability to create encrypted .zip archives in Files (these require a password to be opened).
    That note is in fact need.
    https://www.ibm.com/docs/en/tms-and-...using-pgp-keys

There is the usage case of pgp encrypted zip files that either encrypting the total zip file with pgp or encrypting all the individual files before they are added to the zip file with pgp these are a totally different beast to what gnome just added.

The in zip it self also have do you encrypt the zip directory of files or not. You can encrypt all the files individually inside zip using zip methods and leave the zip directory of file not encrypted in the zip file of course those files will half open without a password as in list the contents but not allow you to extract each individual file without the password. Reality is there is 3 forms of a standard zip archive when using encryption.
    1) Encrypted directory and file contents
    2) encrypted directory
    3) Encrypted file contents.
    Only 1 and 2 require you to know the password to open the zip file to see the directory list. Encrypted file contents option 3 you can open the zip file without password and see the directory list.

Leave a comment:

• indepe
    replied
    Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post
    Even Dash to Dock [git] never recovered from the Gnome 40 changes and has stability issues.
    Gnome should at least include Dash to Dock with all the original options (more than Ubuntu). All popular OS'es have something like that: MacOS, Ubuntu, Windows.

"Floating Dock" kinda works with gnome 40.4, but new windows are created underneath the dock, as if it wasn't there, which is annoying.

Considering that the extension mechanism, and its maintenance/updating, generally doesn't work that well, gnome's minimalism goes too far.

(It probably was the lack of a stable API due to which the Dash to Dock is not available on gnome 40 anymore. Quality extensions seem to disappear more quickly than they appear, so pointing in that direction doesn't really help.)
    Last edited by indepe; 22 September 2021, 07:11 PM.

Leave a comment:

• skeevy420
    replied
    Originally posted by GNOME

The ability to create encrypted .zip archives in Files (these require a password to be opened).
    I reckon if people need that tidbit of information they're not smart enough to use a can opener.

All jokes aside, have fun with your release.

Leave a comment:

• blackiwid
    replied
    Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post
    Is ArcMenu still broken on Gnome 40? Even Dash to Dock [git] never recovered from the Gnome 40 changes and has stability issues.
    How is it a failure? Most gnome users are more of the non advanced users, few devs and shit, so people like you and others without those extensions would not use it right? Only if they would integrate your favorite set of extensions as the default, which they don't.

It might have problems but just removing extensions and then of course keep everything else the same will not make anything better...

They don't oppose other people making forks of gnome-shell write different shells, if they need to integrate some of those features. Ohh and to my original point, the not dev users are usually very often users of LTS releases, for them mostly all works fine...

Just those I need always the newest that is released 2 days ago people, complain, from gnome users I would assume that is a minority.

Leave a comment:

• ElectricPrism
    replied
    Is ArcMenu still broken on Gnome 40? Even Dash to Dock [git] never recovered from the Gnome 40 changes and has stability issues.

Maybe we should convince the Gnome people that extensions were a mistake and to scrap the whole thing so we can watch it blow up in their face and laugh at them for poor decisions. You could convince these people that their legs are bloat and they don't need them.

I rode the dysfunctional Gnome train for probably 5 years. The removal of Custom CSS & Themes in GTK4 was the final straw for me. If Adwaita is "The Gnome Utopia" then I don't want their oatmeal vision of "Perfection"

IBM is back baby.

Leave a comment:

• oleid
    replied
    Originally posted by bash2bash View Post
    And that gentlemen, is what makes gnome sad... you need many extensions to make it usable...

an extension to add icons to the "desktop" that is not a desktop.... sad... just sad...
    Who needs icons on a desktop? I need gnome to launch my browser, mail program, IDE and my shell.

Leave a comment:

• blackiwid
    replied
    Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post
    I have been using GNOME for decades with few breaks. Though to be fair, nowadays i am using Strawberry+Audacious for music and Smplayer for video. I just don't like the default gnome apps.
    I can suggest mpv over smplayer less clunky design with similar features (youtube dropin would be my nr.1)

Leave a comment:

• mppix
    replied
    Originally posted by bple2137 View Post

I agree and disagree at the same time. Desktop icons are pointless to me and I never use them no matter if it's GNOME, KDE Plasma, MacOS, Windows, whatever.
    However, not everyone is like me and some people use desktops this way, even though it makes not much sense (to me). I think it's not a good idea to take some features off when users repeatably say they miss them, just because you think it's not how they should use their computer.

That's pretty much the point with GNOME - the devs make the desktop for themselves and claim it's perfect, just users are stupid and should learn how to properly interact with the UI.
    This sounds so passive-agressive...

What is wrong with at least one open-source DE developing an independent UI design paradigm?
    I get it, it is not for everybody but there are already enough Win95 copycats out there.
    Gnome can try new things as far as I am concerned and tbh it works. Quite well actually.

Leave a comment:

• blackiwid
    replied
    Originally posted by uid313 View Post
    Ideally I should just stop being an oldhead who grasps on to my desktop icons and learn to live without them, it's probably much nicer without them once you get used to it. Now that I think of it, I already have most of my desktop icons on the dash-to-panel anyways so I don't even know why I want icons on my desktop.
    Well under exwm (a tiling wm) I have a very intelligent more than just tab-completing but flex searching file opener, on gnome on my other machine that I use currently for gaming mostly, I just add the games I have to lutris then I don't have to navigate with nautilus to the folders, average users will probably use just steam for that, even on windows that is necessary because people would get mad with desktop icons for their 500 games.

For music you usually have some db music app also, the rest is much in the web, for office you probably can use the file opener dialog, what else photos also some db app, maybe kodi, maybe some tv option, maybe you have it in owncloud and watch it over android. And opening nautilus with favorites is still a ok option for the rare occasion. And as I said all the tiling wm users that don't use it can't all be stupid can they?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X