No announcement yet.

GNOME 41 Released With Wayland Improvements, More Performance Tuning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does anyone know if external screen works with NVidia and Wayland?

Comment

Originally posted by Drol View Post
      Does anyone know if external screen works with NVidia and Wayland?
      I haven't tested on laptop since I have no one with Nvidia right now, but on desktop it does work. Just not try it with nouveau it won't boot to desktop for me
      I've three DP monitors connected to RTX 2070S.

Comment

The people who routinely complain about GNOME in every thread, are mostly KDE users who have never used GNOME in decades anyway. GNOME is awesome and genuinely vastly superior to the KDE, which crashes at least once per day in my experience. But of course KDE fanboys are gonna deny that. They are gonna tell me that my own experience for many years now never happened, i am seeing ghosts. Yet you don't see many gnome users visiting every single kde thread and slandering it. Sad sad people.

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post
          The people who routinely complain about GNOME in every thread, are mostly KDE users who have never used GNOME in decades anyway. GNOME is awesome and genuinely vastly superior to the KDE, which crashes at least once per day in my experience. But of course KDE fanboys are gonna deny that. They are gonna tell me that my own experience for many years now never happened, i am seeing ghosts. Yet you don't see many gnome users visiting every single kde thread and slandering it. Sad sad people.
          Excluding a brief stint with E16, I've been using GNOME since 1.4, so no, I complain because I want it to be better.

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post
            I used both for years and I currently even use both everyday depending on which machine I'm using. There are things GNOME does a lot better than KDE Plasma (Wayland session and Xwayland, multi monitor setups, robustness), and things that KDE Plasma does a lot better than GNOME (convenience, usability, customizability, tons and tons of productivity features).

That's pretty ignorant thing to do to categorize people just because you don't agree with them. Of course there are some trolls who screams how bad GNOME is and offending others - that shouldn't be the case. On the other hand there is substantive criticism as well - personally I believe it's a good thing to criticize unless there are arguments behind it and you respect your opponents.

KDE is being criticized as well for their lack of focus in making the stable environment and rather aiming for tons of new features (and new bugs) with every release - they're not perfect too.

Comment

Originally posted by danmcgrew View Post

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++++++

"The Truth they are not telling you about “Themes”...

Wait...WHAT?? Are we allowing articles and comments from The National Enquirer tabloid, as valid points, into this academic argument ?

"...Here is a rebuttal written by...[a] GNOME Contributor..."

Oh, great. Now we're supposed to accept the sentiments of a Gnome Contributor as valid proof that all objective statements, which are not flattering to GNOME, are wrong. There are, obviously, some people who have never heard of the expression, "...a case of the fox guarding the hen-house...".
              Or, if they have heard it, it means nothing to them. Or they are GNOME apologists, and the only things that matter regarding anything "tech" is "new" and "bigger" and "change"; and, sadly, "...to Hell with any regressions".

"It's not what you know, or what you do not know; it's what you do not want to know."---Eric Hoffer
              So a rant by Solus's maintainer is classified as "academic argument" but a response from a Gnome developer that specifically references such rants is considered "tabloid quality".

Excellent.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post

So a rant by Solus's maintainer is classified as "academic argument" but a response from a Gnome developer that specifically references such rants is considered "tabloid quality".

Excellent.
                Kindergarten-level courses in both reasoning, and reading comprehension, are strongly indicated; and---quite obviously---seriously needed. But, then again, you may need to start with the more basic of these courses...

Just for you---

"There is no such thing as an ‘empty mind’. ‘Empty minds’ are filled to the brim with garbage---hence the impossibility of putting anything into an empty mind."---Eric Hoffer

and (you may---no; make that "you WILL"--- need to get help with this one)---

"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example.‭"--- Mark Twain‭

Comment

Originally posted by danmcgrew View Post

Kindergarten-level courses in both reasoning, and reading comprehension, are strongly indicated; and---quite obviously---seriously needed. But, then again, you may need to start with the more basic of these courses...

Just for you---

"There is no such thing as an ‘empty mind’. ‘Empty minds’ are filled to the brim with garbage---hence the impossibility of putting anything into an empty mind."---Eric Hoffer

and (you may---no; make that "you WILL"--- need to get help with this one)---

"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example.‭"--- Mark Twain‭
                  The day you can justify to me clearly how a blog post from a Solus maintainer carries more weight than a blog post of a Gnome developer responding to said comments on the very topic that is being politicised on Twitter is the day I will spare a minute of my time to think about considering whether you should be even taken seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by bash2bash View Post
                    And that gentlemen, is what makes gnome sad... you need many extensions to make it usable...

an extension to add icons to the "desktop" that is not a desktop.... sad... just sad...
                    I usually use raw GNOME with no extensions. I don't used to use desktop icons not even when they were built-in. Using icons in desktop hinders my workflow.

Comment

Originally posted by blacknova View Post

Yeah, it almost exactly the same as the launcher in Win 8, less functionality and slower. Even MS recognized that their full screen launcher was not exactly great idea. OSX has their launchpad but they still keep dock and you can easily launch apps just fine from Finder. Oh... and you can clear windows from desktop to access it and than bring them back in OSX all you need to do it is touchpad gesture or single shortcut so no workflow interruption.

I personally do not use desktop icons, but I know a lot of people who does and their workflow would have been completely broken without desktop icons. And most people strongly dislike altering their habits so no chance for GNOME with them.
                      I stopped using Windows, but I actually enjoyed the Windows 8 interface when I picked up my laptop long ago. I'm glad I can enjoy the same thing with Gnome. I dislike altering my habits too, but I'm glad to lose desktop icons. They were annoying to manage and rather pointless. If you want to launch apps, you have a launcher for that. If you want to access files, you have a file manager for that. It's simpler and clearer, and requires less management.

Comment

Working...
                      X