GNOME 41 Released With Wayland Improvements, More Performance Tuning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by blacknova View Post
    Yeah, it almost exactly the same as the launcher in Win 8, less functionality and slower.
    I don't find the app launcher in to be slow at all, just more distracting. That being said, I like it better than any Arc Menu options because I can reposition and manually group applications to my liking.

Comment

Originally posted by Myownfriend View Post

I don't find the app launcher in to be slow at all, just more distracting. That being said, I like it better than any Arc Menu options because I can reposition and manually group applications to my liking.
      All I need for my workflow is dash for quick start after reboot (this the point of annoyance to me, since by default GNOME's dash is hidden) and launch's app search. The applications grid by it self is useless to me. I stopped using any app menus then they stated to populate them with all installed shit.

As for speed it is slower than Win8 launcher was 15 years ago on that period hardware. On top of that for all talks about hw accell and wayland, GNOME on Ryzen 7 1700 + RX480 + Wayland is a lot less smoother than on Ryzen 7 3700X + RTX2070S + X11, I'd guess GNOME is a lot more CPU bound than I expected, and yeah I own both so I can compare, in fact replacing RX480 with R7 280X do not change desktop experience at all.
      Last edited by blacknova; 23 September 2021, 01:39 AM.

Comment

I think Gnome is still experimenting with UXes. Best of luck to them.

Comment

Not sure why people bother with extensions when they have perfectly usable DE out of the box

Comment

To make it that little bit better.

Since Gnome developers do not want the top panel with its clock, calendar and systray being duplicated on multiple displays an extension is needed.

Comment

I've said it before, gnome developers are so polarized, aggressive and narrow minded, that refuse to see how much damage they are doing to their own product.

Notice how every time gnome is mentioned, it gathers 50+ posts of complaints and 2-3 poor guys trying to support gnome at all costs.

Sad really... sad...

Comment

Originally posted by bash2bash View Post
                I've said it before, gnome developers are so polarized, aggressive and narrow minded, that refuse to see how much damage they are doing to their own product.

Notice how every time gnome is mentioned, it gathers 50+ posts of complaints and 2-3 poor guys trying to support gnome at all costs.

Sad really... sad...
                Complainers are loud. Notice how every time somebody complains about GNOME, it's the same 5-10 guys spitting out same stuff over and over, creating their own echo chamber. If GNOME really was that overwhelmingly, irredeemably bad, you'd think they would just move on?

Users who enjoy GNOME simply enjoy it, not vent on forums. What's really sad is your trolling attempt.
                Last edited by intelfx; 23 September 2021, 06:16 AM.

Comment

Nah

If it wasn't for Redhat putting all their resources behind gnome, and enforcing gnome on Fedora/RHEL, then gnome wouldn't be included in any distro, they would be left alone to rot.

Did you know that Redhat employees also hate gnome? Most of them use gnome in classic mode, or prefer to run Fedora Spins with alternative desktop environments.

Redhat is pushing the gnome agenda really hard, to get all distros to run gnome (like they did with ubuntu).

Comment

Originally posted by arQon View Post

No you don't, and you haven't for well over a decade: even Windows has handled this competently since at least 7 via Aero Peek
                    Well, not really. Show desktop button on Windows fails to restore minimized windows if you run something else when they are minimized. For example you have many opened windows and you want to run something from desktop you use this button to hide windows and then run something from desktop. Now this button won't restore minimized windows and you need to restore them manually. It's working only if you won't run anything from desktop but if you can't run anything from desktop then why you need to show this desktop at all? You can run file manager and go to the desktop directory without hiding your applications but again what's the point of desktop icons then?

Comment

Originally posted by finalzone View Post

Here is a rebuttal written by Jordan Petridis, GNOME Contributor:

The Truth they are not telling you about “Themes”

https://blogs.gnome.org/alatiera/202...-about-themes/

The details are listed inside the above blog showing work is on the way for a working dark theme and accents with Adwaita as a base rather a hacking approach.
                      ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++++++

"The Truth they are not telling you about “Themes”...

Wait...WHAT?? Are we allowing articles and comments from The National Enquirer tabloid, as valid points, into this academic argument ?

"...Here is a rebuttal written by...[a] GNOME Contributor..."

Oh, great. Now we're supposed to accept the sentiments of a Gnome Contributor as valid proof that all objective statements, which are not flattering to GNOME, are wrong. There are, obviously, some people who have never heard of the expression, "...a case of the fox guarding the hen-house...".
                      Or, if they have heard it, it means nothing to them. Or they are GNOME apologists, and the only things that matter regarding anything "tech" is "new" and "bigger" and "change"; and, sadly, "...to Hell with any regressions".

"It's not what you know, or what you do not know; it's what you do not want to know."---Eric Hoffer

Comment

Working...
                      X