GNOME 41 Released With Wayland Improvements, More Performance Tuning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
    I love GNOME and look forward to this release!
    I especially like GNOME with some shell extensions such as ArcMenu, Dash-to-panel, and Desktop Icons NG (DING).
    There lots of great third-party apps for GNOME too such as Apostrophe (markdown editor), Gaphor (diagram editor), and Solanum (tomato clock).

GNOME Music is really, really terrible though. You cannot even skip in the song, and you cannot chose a folder where to find music, it is ridiculously bad. Rhythmbox is much better, but unfortunately it doesn't seem like its getting any love. 😢
    Also it seems to use a ridiculous amount of CPU cycles even when not playing anything. It's quite frustrating. Rhythmbox is fine, but it doesn't really fit the GNOME desktop.

Comment

Originally posted by blacknova View Post
      And how many extensions have been broken?
      Doesn't matter. Extension developers now need to check support with every version yet again. Everything thats not marked compatible with "41" will be shown incompatible. If you try to install it (except the user deactivates that feature in dconf)

GNOME Music is really, really terrible though. You cannot even skip in the song, and you cannot chose a folder where to find music, it is ridiculously bad. Rhythmbox is much better, but unfortunately it doesn't seem like its getting any love. 😢
      I love the new gnome music. It's pretty much what I want with a good search and thats it. Data comes directly from trackers indexing service. Sadly this will only work for my old music. I dont buy songs/CD/flac anymore.

Comment

>ctrl f "file picker
        >no results
        >ctrl f "nautilus now uses a multithread process for generate thumbnails"
        >no results
        Into the trash it goes

Comment

And that gentlemen, is what makes gnome sad... you need many extensions to make it usable...

an extension to add icons to the "desktop" that is not a desktop.... sad... just sad...

I love GNOME and look forward to this release!
          I especially like GNOME with some shell extensions such as ArcMenu, Dash-to-panel, and Desktop Icons NG (DING).
          There lots of great third-party apps for GNOME too such as Apostrophe (markdown editor), Gaphor (diagram editor), and Solanum (tomato clock).

Comment

I am a GNOME desktop user too, but prefer VLC und mpv for audio and video. Just change the preferences in settings.

Comment

My favorite music player for Linux is Cantata+MPD (in single user mode).

Comment

Originally posted by bash2bash View Post
                And that gentlemen, is what makes gnome sad... you need many extensions to make it usable...
                an extension to add icons to the "desktop" that is not a desktop.... sad... just sad...
                At first I thought it's ridicolous when they removed desktop icons, but it's really not, at least for me. There is always some window covering the icons, so you constantly shift windows around to reach your stuff. I strongly got into the feeling that desktop icons are albeit being a tradition also being a fundamentally flawed design...

I slighty reorganized where and how I manage my documents, images and stuff, and I think i'm acessing the launch of apps, music, document editing and all that faster now than I've ever been.

Fun fact: I do use Windows 10 for some gaming, sometimes for simple work taks, since I'm lazy. My Windows desktop has gotten into a pile of mess, because I just didn't care anymore, so I disabled desktop icons in Windows, too.

I might not be representative for each and any person around the globe, but your explanation on why I should be sad...well it's very very simple and I guess wrong.

Comment

One of my biggest irritation with Gnome 40 is the lack of any control of the scroll bar width. There leave even an extention that fixed it! Luckily some tweaking is possible with custom css, but it is very awkward and far from good user experience.

Is this fixed for Gnome 41?

Comment

Yeah, right, because GNOME is as smooth as they show it on the advert. I won't believe it until I see it.

Comment

I have been using GNOME for decades with few breaks. Though to be fair, nowadays i am using Strawberry+Audacious for music and Smplayer for video. I just don't like the default gnome apps.

Comment

Working...
                      X