Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cycles X Merged Into Blender 3.0 With NVIDIA CUDA/OptiX Support, AMD HIP Pending

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cycles X Merged Into Blender 3.0 With NVIDIA CUDA/OptiX Support, AMD HIP Pending

Phoronix: Cycles X Merged Into Blender 3.0 With NVIDIA CUDA/OptiX Support, AMD HIP Pending

Cycles X as a modernizing of Blender's Cycles rendering engine has now landed in the latest development code for Blender 3.0. Cycles X brings big performance improvements but does eliminate OpenCL support in the process...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

"They" really need to get this end user software support straightened. All the acceleration stuff and such. Might be one fancy thing they had back in the days when calc was faster on some APU, but some stuff on Blender might really make a huge difference. But of course, it should be end user suitable, so people simply have the usual default stack installed, they mark a flag/button in the menu and then you got much improved rendering speed.
    No matter if it is Blender, Darktable filters, Gimp, Krita, Handbrake or whatnot.
    The hardware is capable of it, but lies dormant, because SW doesn't make use of it.
    Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Originally posted by Adarion View Post
      "They" really need to get this end user software support straightened. All the acceleration stuff and such. Might be one fancy thing they had back in the days when calc was faster on some APU, but some stuff on Blender might really make a huge difference. But of course, it should be end user suitable, so people simply have the usual default stack installed, they mark a flag/button in the menu and then you got much improved rendering speed.
      No matter if it is Blender, Darktable filters, Gimp, Krita, Handbrake or whatnot.
      The hardware is capable of it, but lies dormant, because SW doesn't make use of it.
      Vulkan compute shaders are likely the best way to achieve this. In fact, it's already possible to do things such as baking lightmaps on the GPU using Vulkan compute (no CUDA or OpenCL involved). Image upscaling algorithms such as Waifu2x have also been ported to Vulkan compute: https://github.com/nihui/waifu2x-ncnn-vulkan

It's most likely not the most powerful approach, but it's the one that is the most likely to "just work" on an user's machine.

Comment

Cycles-X is all nice, but last time I checked there was no render tiles. That may not sound like a big thing and it actually helps performance from what I read, but for me it is horrible. I grew up watching Commodore 64 machines draw title screens piece by piece not unlike Blender does/did with tiles when it renders. With that gone it takes away some of the fun or me at least

http://www.dirtcellar.net

Comment

Does needing HIP if youare on AMD mean that you need ROCm there for a 6000 card?

BTW big thumbs up for the Blender crew. They have made a pretty amazing piece of software.

Comment

Lets all thank Nvidia for pushing API fragmentation in everything it does! Look, it's not hurting us anywhere!

Comment

Originally posted by grigi View Post
              Lets all thank Nvidia for pushing API fragmentation in everything it does! Look, it's not hurting us anywhere!
              Nope, sorry not this time. CUDA predates the existance of OpenCL by ~2 years, so it wasn't Nvidia who fragmented the standard in this case. Furthermore, from what I've read OpenCL has demonstrated abysmal performance and an overall poor implementation from amd.

There are PLENTY of valid reasons to criticize or even boycott Nvidia. No reason to invent FUD.

Comment

Originally posted by waxhead View Post
                Cycles-X is all nice, but last time I checked there was no render tiles. That may not sound like a big thing and it actually helps performance from what I read, but for me it is horrible. I grew up watching Commodore 64 machines draw title screens piece by piece not unlike Blender does/did with tiles when it renders. With that gone it takes away some of the fun or me at least
                There is a setting that you can set the tile size. (render properties - performance - tiles)looks like it is 2048x2048 pixels by default so 1080p pictures are rendered in 1 tile. But you can set it down to watch the tile move around

Comment

Originally posted by Toggleton View Post

There is a setting that you can set the tile size. (render properties - performance - tiles)looks like it is 2048x2048 pixels by default so 1080p pictures are rendered in 1 tile. But you can set it down to watch the tile move around
                  Hey it seems to be back. Unless I am really drunk it was removed in one of the earlier alphas a little while ago. Glad to have it back - thanks for the heads up!

http://www.dirtcellar.net

Comment

Working...
                  X