X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jaxa
    replied
    Originally posted by uid313 View Post
    I think the Unicode Consortorium needs to be replaced or disbanded, it is just sad what it has come to.
    The new emojis like pregnant man is just ridiculous and serves no real purpose other than propaganda and ideology. They already have woman with beard, so what's next? Fire fighter in wheelchair? Parachute jumper in wheelchair? Woman with a penis?

Mean while meaningful emojis are still missing such as raspberry.
    We could have millions of niche emoji if Unicode opened the floodgates and created new modifiers to work with the zero width joiner. Then just let the companies decide if they want to design each one by hand or use AI to mash them up.

Leave a comment:

• Vistaus
    replied
    Can I compile HarfBuzz 3.0 manually on e.g. Ubuntu 20.04 without breaking stuff?
    Last edited by Vistaus; 22 September 2021, 11:37 AM.

Leave a comment:

• uid313
    replied
    I think the Unicode Consortorium needs to be replaced or disbanded, it is just sad what it has come to.
    The new emojis like pregnant man is just ridiculous and serves no real purpose other than propaganda and ideology. They already have woman with beard, so what's next? Fire fighter in wheelchair? Parachute jumper in wheelchair? Woman with a penis?

Mean while meaningful emojis are still missing such as raspberry.

Leave a comment:

• cbxbiker61
    replied
    It breaks Qt5. libQt5WebEngineCore.so.5 undefined symbol: hb_subset_input_set_drop_hints

Leave a comment:

• extremesquared
    replied
    Originally posted by Redfoxmoon View Post

what a sad day.
    I support it. Accidental self-deprecating comedy is still comedy.

Leave a comment:

• jaxa
    replied
    I am bullish on the meme value of the Melting Face Emoji.

Leave a comment:

• tildearrow
    replied
    Originally posted by quaz0r View Post

oh michael, you always love posting the trollbait, it always brings a smile to my face!
    I could rant about this change, but it means going off-topic.

Leave a comment:

• Redfoxmoon
    replied
    Originally posted by quaz0r View Post

oh michael, you always love posting the trollbait, it always brings a smile to my face!
    Yes, it's good to know that Unicode has collectively joined the new wokist religion. what a sad day.

Leave a comment:

• tildearrow
    replied
    Originally posted by George99 View Post
    tildearrow: Actually there *is* a link just click on the last full stop. (the link is broken, but it's there)
    Yep there is.

Here is the full article just because Michael hasn't fixed it yet:

HarfBuzz 3.0 has been released as a new version of this widely-used, open-source text shaping library that is used by the major Linux desktop environments along with Chrome OS, Java, Android, Chrome, and a plethora of other software projects and UI toolkits.

Notable with HarfBuzz 3.0 is adding support for Unicode 14.0. Unicode 14.0 was released a few days ago and adds 838 more characters, including 37 new emoji characters. Among those new emoji with Unicode 14.0 are melting face, saluting face, heat hands, pregnant man, pregnant person, beans, and others. Those interested in the Unicode 14.0 changes by itself can see Unicode.org.

In addition to Unicode 14.0 support, the hb-subset API and harfbuzz-subset library API are declared stable. Additionally, the hb-style API is now considered stable.

More details on HarfBuzz 3.0 for those interested via the project's GitHub.
    Last edited by tildearrow; 19 September 2021, 04:13 PM.

Leave a comment:

• George99
    replied
    tildearrow: Actually there *is* a link just click on the last full stop. (the link is broken, but it's there)

Leave a comment:

Working...
X