No announcement yet.

HarfBuzz 3.0 Released With Unicode 14.0 Support, More APIs Considered Stable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HarfBuzz 3.0 Released With Unicode 14.0 Support, More APIs Considered Stable

Phoronix: HarfBuzz 3.0 Released With Unicode 14.0 Support, More APIs Considered Stable

HarfBuzz 3.0 has been released as a new version of this widely-used, open-source text shaping library that is used by the major Linux desktop environments along with Chrome OS, Java, Android, Chrome, and a plethora of other software projects and UI toolkits...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The article is incomplete. There are no links, not even to the Unicode changes page. What happened?

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Those interested in the Unicode 14.0 changes by itself can see .

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
      Unicode 14.0 was released a few days ago and adds 838 more characters, including 37 new emoji characters. Among those new emoji with Unicode 14.0 are melting face, saluting face, heat hands, pregnant man, pregnant person, beans, and others.
      oh michael, you always love posting the trollbait, it always brings a smile to my face!

Comment

Fun fact: The creator of HarfBuzz is also the creator of preload (an absolutely awesome little program) and also the creator of many other things.

Behdad Esfahbod. Awesome guy. Was previously on the Board of Directors for GNOME Foundation too (2007-2010).

Yes, I'm a fan of the guy. Has done a lot.

Among the projects he has led are the cairo, fontconfig, HarfBuzz, and pango libraries, which are standard parts of the GNOME desktop environment, the Google Chrome web browser, and the LibreOffice suite of programs. He received an O'Reilly Open Source Award in 2013 for his work on HarfBuzz.[4]
        edit: Holy cow, I missed this somehow on his Wikipedia. My respect for this man has gone through the roof. Not because of the promise to spy on his "friends".. but because the Iranian Revolution Guard is crazy, and you say *whatever* the f**k you have to get the hell out of there. Man, did we dodge a bullet that he was able to escape. I think I remember hearing about this too but didn't know it was the same person. Wild.

Esfahbod was arrested by Islamic Revolutionary Guards Corps intelligence echelon during a 2020 visit to Tehran. He was then moved to Evin prison, where he was psychologically pressured and interrogated in solitary confinement for 7 days. They downloaded all his private data from his devices. Iranian security forces let him go based on his promise to spy on his friends once he was back in United States.[5][6] [7]
        Last edited by perpetually high; 20 September 2021, 07:00 AM.

Comment

tildearrow: Actually there *is* a link just click on the last full stop. (the link is broken, but it's there)

Comment

Originally posted by George99 View Post
            tildearrow: Actually there *is* a link just click on the last full stop. (the link is broken, but it's there)
            Yep there is.

Here is the full article just because Michael hasn't fixed it yet:

HarfBuzz 3.0 has been released as a new version of this widely-used, open-source text shaping library that is used by the major Linux desktop environments along with Chrome OS, Java, Android, Chrome, and a plethora of other software projects and UI toolkits.

Notable with HarfBuzz 3.0 is adding support for Unicode 14.0. Unicode 14.0 was released a few days ago and adds 838 more characters, including 37 new emoji characters. Among those new emoji with Unicode 14.0 are melting face, saluting face, heat hands, pregnant man, pregnant person, beans, and others. Those interested in the Unicode 14.0 changes by itself can see Unicode.org.

In addition to Unicode 14.0 support, the hb-subset API and harfbuzz-subset library API are declared stable. Additionally, the hb-style API is now considered stable.

More details on HarfBuzz 3.0 for those interested via the project's GitHub.
            Last edited by tildearrow; 19 September 2021, 04:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by quaz0r View Post

oh michael, you always love posting the trollbait, it always brings a smile to my face!
              Yes, it's good to know that Unicode has collectively joined the new wokist religion. what a sad day.

Comment

Originally posted by quaz0r View Post

I could rant about this change, but it means going off-topic.

Comment

I am bullish on the meme value of the Melting Face Emoji.

Comment

Originally posted by Redfoxmoon View Post

what a sad day.
                    I support it. Accidental self-deprecating comedy is still comedy.

Comment

Working...
                    X