GIMP 2.10.28 Released With More Fixes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by danmcgrew View Post

You gave up waiting "...5-10 years ago"? Well, at least you learned.
    Some people have been waiting twelve years for LibreOffice to deliver, and still are. And keep on sending them money...which LibreOffice' s management does NOT use for any development.

At least you learned...
    Precisely the reason I use cloud image editors and web versions of Office 365.

Comment

Originally posted by omer666 View Post
      The fact is that GTK3 is not a priority whatsoever, features come first.
      Tell that to whoever has an HiDPI display
      ## VGA ##
      AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
      Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post

Tell that to whoever has an HiDPI display
        I thought initial HiDPI support was part of 2.10, but not having such a screen myself I don't know whether it's good enough or not.
        Originally posted by prokoudine View Post
        The whole point of v3.0 is porting to GTK3 and revamping APIs to make way for new features coming in 3.2. The fact that people _will_ get new features in 3.0 that are not in 2.10 is simply because some of the new stuff either relies on new APIs or is just too time-consuming to backport to 2.10. So far, it's color management rewrite, multi-item (e.g. layer) selection and accompanying changes (like cloning on multiple layers at once), Paint Select tool, and various smaller things. So no, it's not features first in this dev cycle
        I hope so! I am not saying that we don't need GTK3, on the contrary, I really like this API and I can't wait to use GIMP 3.0.
        I was replying to negative comments on GIMP's development that no GTK3 doesn't mean no development, and that I'd rather have a GIMP 2.10.28 than a half-baked GIMP 3.0
        There were similar comments about Ardour, yet its development is very active and healthy, despite being based on GTK2.
        Last edited by omer666; 20 September 2021, 03:13 AM.

Comment

There were similar comments about Ardour, yet its development is very active and healthy, despite being based on GTK2.
          The amount of GTK features that Ardour relies on has been decreasing for several years now. They are now moving away from using GTK widgets packer in favour of their own solution (see commits from last week). So all is left to be done is adding their own text input and treeview widgets, and their own file dialogs. None of those things are trivial to implement, so it's going to take a while. I'm not even sure if they want to actively get rid of those.

Comment

I thought initial HiDPI support was part of 2.10, but not having such a screen myself I don't know whether it's good enough or not.
            Regarding HiDPI, v2.10 works more or less okay on smaller displays like 2560x1440 (e.g. my laptop), but people with 4K displays fret a lot. There's a limit to how much you can persuade GTK2 to play along on HiDPI, and it involves hackarounds.

Comment

Working...
            X