X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tomas
    replied
    Originally posted by Sonadow View Post

Actually, RHEL and CentOS have only Gnome 3 as the sole supported desktop environment since v8. MATE was never a supported desktop, not even during RHEL6 and 7's life cycle.

Which makes that fellow's claims even more suspect.
    Your suspicion is frankly a bit silly.
    At my work at a major Telco company they (someone at IT) also decided to install Mate on our RHEL7 desktops instead of going with the default (gnome 3 I guess?), probably because it was more similar to the setup in RHEL6 that came with GNOME 2 by default. The reason for not going with Linux Mint in this case is of course that the expensive proprietary software that we run is only supported on RHEL7 and nothing else. And no, the support for the software does not care about running Mate or not since it does not rely on which desktop environment that is used.
    ​​​​​​
    Last edited by tomas; 19 September 2021, 01:48 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Sonadow
    replied
    Originally posted by MadeUpName View Post

About Blackmagic Fusion Studio 17.3

What's new in Blackmagic Fusion Studio 17.3
    • Support for viewing the node type by holding Ctrl/Cmd-Shift-E.
    • General performance and stability improvements.
    Minimum system requirements
    • Mac 10.14.6 Mojave
    • Windows 10
    • Linux CentOS 7.3
    Blackmagic is not an Autodesk product.

Keep trying.

Leave a comment:

• MadeUpName
    replied
    Fusion: Windows and macOS only
    About Blackmagic Fusion Studio 17.3

What's new in Blackmagic Fusion Studio 17.3
    • Support for viewing the node type by holding Ctrl/Cmd-Shift-E.
    • General performance and stability improvements.
    Minimum system requirements
    • Mac 10.14.6 Mojave
    • Windows 10
    • Linux CentOS 7.3

Leave a comment:

• Sonadow
    replied
    Originally posted by sophisticles View Post

There's something that's been bothering me about this response and I initially missed it.

You claim that you work as a Linux sysadmin for Pixar; Pixar claims that all it's rendering is done on one of the 25 fastest supercomputers in existence, ergo, you are claiming that you are an admin of one of the 25 fastest supercomputers in the world.

You also claim that the workstations used are running RHEL with Mate (with some running Gnome)l here's the thing, RHEL comes with 2 desktops, Gnome and KDE:

So you're claiming that Pixar, spends $179 per pc RHEL license, then yanks out the default desktops and installs Mate, I don't know about anyone else, but I find it hard to believe. If you're going to do that why not start with Ubuntu Mate or Mint and save the $179 per pc?

You also claim that there are other workstations that run CentOS + Cinnamon and they used to be CentOS + XFCE; CentOS 8 defaulted to Gnome 3.28 and previous versions did not include a GUI with the default install, if you're going to use Cinnamon, why not use the distro where Cinnamon was first introduced, Mint?
    Actually, RHEL and CentOS have only Gnome 3 as the sole supported desktop environment since v8. MATE was never a supported desktop, not even during RHEL6 and 7's life cycle.

Secondly, the only place to get alternative GUIs is through EPEL, and RHEL does not provide any support for packages installed through EPEL, and for any breakages caused by installing EPEL packages.

Which makes that fellow's claims even more suspect.

Leave a comment:

• sophisticles
    replied
    Originally posted by mroche View Post
    I appreciate you trying to disprove my own real-life work experience as a film industry Linux sysadmin with delusion. I was literally explaining to you how the industry extends far beyond NLE editors which you seemed to be basing your entire initial rebuttal on.

Examples for you to ponder (as these are studios I had direct relations with):
    *Pixar:
    - Render farm nodes run RHEL
    - Workstations are vSphere VDI over Teradici PCoIP running RHEL (using MATE, some of us in systems used GNOME).
    * WDAS (same as above, not sure if using vSphere or something else and which DE they settled on).
    * Blue Sky
    - Render farm on CentOS
    - Desk-side workstations running CentOS (using Cinnamon, formerly XFCE).
    There's something that's been bothering me about this response and I initially missed it.

You claim that you work as a Linux sysadmin for Pixar; Pixar claims that all it's rendering is done on one of the 25 fastest supercomputers in existence, ergo, you are claiming that you are an admin of one of the 25 fastest supercomputers in the world.

You also claim that the workstations used are running RHEL with Mate (with some running Gnome)l here's the thing, RHEL comes with 2 desktops, Gnome and KDE:

So you're claiming that Pixar, spends $179 per pc RHEL license, then yanks out the default desktops and installs Mate, I don't know about anyone else, but I find it hard to believe. If you're going to do that why not start with Ubuntu Mate or Mint and save the $179 per pc?

You also claim that there are other workstations that run CentOS + Cinnamon and they used to be CentOS + XFCE; CentOS 8 defaulted to Gnome 3.28 and previous versions did not include a GUI with the default install, if you're going to use Cinnamon, why not use the distro where Cinnamon was first introduced, Mint?

Leave a comment:

• Sonadow
    replied
    Originally posted by sophisticles View Post

I don't know what's sadder, that you can't be bothered to even go to Autodesk's website to see that you are wrong or that the two people that upvoted you also couldn't be bothered to check their site:

Buy official Autodesk software online and get the latest 3D design, engineering, and animation software.

Please notice the filter list on the left, under OS type, they only list Windows and Mac, no Linux.

That's a swing and a miss for you.
    I have already that fellow the favour of listing every single Autodesk product and their target platforms.

Leave a comment:

• sophisticles
    replied
    Originally posted by dragorth View Post
    Almost every Autodesk product runs on Linux.
    I don't know what's sadder, that you can't be bothered to even go to Autodesk's website to see that you are wrong or that the two people that upvoted you also couldn't be bothered to check their site:

Buy official Autodesk software online and get the latest 3D design, engineering, and animation software.

Please notice the filter list on the left, under OS type, they only list Windows and Mac, no Linux.

That's a swing and a miss for you.

Originally posted by dragorth View Post
    Even Blender renders faster under Linux vs Windows, and OSX is a joke, thanks to not supporting OpenGL.
    And the day I decide to built a Blender render farm in my basement that will come in very handy.

Leave a comment:

• sophisticles
    replied
    Originally posted by coder View Post
    BTW, I didn't mind Windows 7 for running office apps and stuff, but when my employer finally upgraded us to Windows 10, I was thoroughly unimpressed. Since I don't run it at home, I can't say whether most of the issues were the core OS or just how they deployed it, but it was the slowest and most unstable Windows I ever experienced since probably Windows 3.1. Granted, I skipped Win 98, ME, Vista, and 8. And I never upgraded until there were a couple Service Packs released, either. AFAICT, Microsoft hardly gives a shit about Windows, anymore. I think they mainly just see it as a way to rope in customers for their cloud services.
    I would strongly disagree. At my last job we all used Win 7 and eventually it was announced that all systems would be migrating to Win 10 and we all bitched non stop. When Win 10 first came out, on multiple forums I moaned and groaned and complained and openly argued about the supposed telemetry, I went on and on about how Win 7 was better and initially I really believed it was.

But I have to admit, after my job forced us to upgrade, I came to realize what a great OS Win 10 is and I was remined of how I felt about replacing Win 2k with XP64 and replacing XP64 with Win7.

My mother and brother also threw a fit when I told them I wanted to upgrade their systems from XP to Win 7 and from Win 7 to Win 10. They now love Win 10.

For me, the most impressive thing about Win 10 is its stability and more importantly how resilient it is to attack, its built in ransomware protection is very good and reminds me sort of SELinux; I have tested Win 10's ransomware protection extensively and it works as advertised, maybe better because it also stops non ransomware viruses.
    Last edited by sophisticles; 20 September 2021, 03:25 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Sonadow
    replied
    Originally posted by birdie View Post

You should see 256 bars for the 10bit parts of the image, and only 64 bars for the 8bit parts.

Chrome, Firefox and native image Linux viewers all show me 64 bars.

Wine applications fail to start altogether

Code:
    wine: Unhandled page fault on read access to FFFF0000 at address FFFF0000 (thread 0024), starting debugger...
    winedbg: Internal crash at 0xffff0000
    Then I guess mine should be the same as well. On Wayland.

Leave a comment:

• birdie
    replied

Your Chrome looks somewhat borked. This is mine:
    You seem to be running Wayland with a 24-bit color depth. I showed its output when running Xorg with a 30-bit color depth.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X