X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• coder
    replied
    Originally posted by sophisticles View Post
    So, Pixar supposedly uses RHEL for desktop workstations, its servers and its supercomputer, yet chooses to pay homage to Apple in its movies?

Right.
    Graphic artists just love Macs, for whatever reason. Even in the days before OS X, when it wouldn't be uncommon for them to crash a couple times per day, Macs were still the mainstay of the content creation industries. I couldn't explain it then, and I can't explain it now.

It's possible to love Macs and express that love, at least in part, on machines that are not Macs.

TBH, I don't even really understand why Macs are so popular among developers. Maybe these are the same types of people who buy fancy luxury cars.

Leave a comment:

• coder
    replied
    Because I really enjoy proving that the Linux faithful can't even be honest with themselves let alone anyone else, from your first linked video:

https://graphics.pixar.com/library/G...ingA/paper.pdf

How does that taste?
    That's a research paper dated 2011-12-12, almost 10 years ago! And one of co-authors was from Microsoft Research:
    • Matthias Nießner - University of Erlangen-Nuremberg
    • Charles Loop - Microsoft Research
    • Mark Meyer and Tony DeRose - Pixar Animation Studios
    The platform some people use for algorithms research is very different than what the studio uses for its production environment.

This basically tells us nothing. You are suffering from confirmation bias, where you're searching for any little tidbit to support your point, rather than doing an unbiased survey to see what you can learn about their production environment.

Leave a comment:

• coder
    replied
    Originally posted by birdie View Post
    This image (30bit) looks the same in every tested mode, browser or application in Xorg/X11.

Under Windows you can see it as intended.

Neither mpv, nor ffplay can display 30bit videos either.
    Thanks for sharing these test images/videos.

Leave a comment:

• coder
    replied
    Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
    And the goalpost shifting starts. Right on cue.
    Are you this charming in person?

Seriously, when I saw your reply, I thought the exact same thing as what dragorth said. If you go through and look at just the products relevant to film & video production, most of them do support Linux, as claimed. It's fair to point out the claim might've simply been poorly worded, even if it was well-intentioned. I try to be fairly meticulous about my English usage, but not everyone is a native speaker.

It must be a sad, lonely world always to assume the worst about everyone.

Leave a comment:

• coder
    replied
    I would strongly disagree.
    Thanks for sharing your experience.

For me, the most impressive thing about Win 10 is its stability ...
    On my most heavily-used machine, the mean interval between bluescreens is just 9.2 days, over a period of about 1.5 years. As I said, I've run a variety of different hardware diags, updated drivers, gotten plenty of OS updates. The frequency would increase and decrease, and sometimes the distribution of different Stop Codes would shift, but there was never much consistency on that last point.

Leave a comment:

• coder
    replied
    Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
    Even prosumer cameras and professional DSLRs shoot to JPEG as the default capture mode unless specifically instructed otherwise.
    Well, for at least a year, it seems that iPhones have defaulted to saving as HEIC:

Some high school students taking their AP exams online have run into serious trouble with the HEIC image format on the iPhone and the iPad, which...

Leave a comment:

• oiaohm
    replied
    I just want to point out that Pixar became a stand alone corporation in 1986 with money from Steve Jobs who was the majority stakeholder and while it was sold to Disney in 2006, Pixar pays homage to Apple on a regular basis:

Latest technology news and in-depth expert reviews. From smartphones, headphones and gadgets to games and fitness tech. Find the right tech for you.

https://pixar.fandom.com/wiki/Apple,_Inc.

So, Pixar supposedly uses RHEL for desktop workstations, its servers and its supercomputer, yet chooses to pay homage to Apple in its movies?

Right.
    While Apple has long wedged products like iPhones and Macs into TV shows as a form of marketing, the company appears to be taking a more open stance about it, a report suggested on Wednesday.

sophisticles there is a import differences between RHEL/IBM and Apple. When you do product placements be it animated or reallife footage with Apple stuff you can get Apple stuff for free. RHEL/IBM no license discount because you include Redhat reference in a movie.

There are many Pixar presentations at different conferences where they have given walk thoughs of their production floors. What you is sees lots of RHEL desktop and about 1/3 that are not Linux desktops being Apple machines. There is generally not a Windows machine to found.

There is a warped collection of hats at redhat from Pixar. Every time Pixar makes movie since they started using Redhat Linux they have made a fedora hat themed for that movie that has been sent to redhat. Yes people don't normally know the redhat name start over a fedora hat that was lost that never turned up so the warped respond is to keep on sending free replacements of different designs. The Pixar collection fo fedoras at redhat is worth quite a bit thinking every one of those hats is a one off from the Pixar prop department these are not the ones that go into mass production for some movies to be sold. So yes Pixar does pay homage to redhat in a very warped way based on how redhat started. Yes it could be a very valuable collection if Redhat/IBM ever got in trouble for money.

Leave a comment:

• sophisticles
    replied
    I just want to point out that Pixar became a stand alone corporation in 1986 with money from Steve Jobs who was the majority stakeholder and while it was sold to Disney in 2006, Pixar pays homage to Apple on a regular basis:

Latest technology news and in-depth expert reviews. From smartphones, headphones and gadgets to games and fitness tech. Find the right tech for you.

https://pixar.fandom.com/wiki/Apple,_Inc.

Apple and animation studio Pixar, both titans in their fields, have had a long association; Steve Jobs supplied the latter with valuable financial resources after departing Apple in 1985, and...

There is also a reference in every Pixar movie to A113

You can find the letter and numbers A113 in Pixar movies. The famous number has been used throughout animation. It will be featured in "Incredibles 2."

Right.

Leave a comment:

• oiaohm
    replied

Because I really enjoy proving that the Linux faithful can't even be honest with themselves let alone anyone else, from your first linked video:

How does that taste?
    Like someone who been cherry picking records. "TOG 2012" is 2012. Do note one of the people in there is "Charles Loop Microsoft Research" there comes a case that you put particular things in papers to save particular peoples tails not what really happened.
    An Open-Source subdivision surface library. Contribute to PixarAnimationStudios/OpenSubdiv development by creating an account on GitHub.

This is the result of that paper. Yes even in 2012 there was a Linux version of the work described in the paper. Our implementation in that paper refers to the joint work between Pixar and Microsoft. Not the ones Pixar was really making for production usage yes it was the Pixar developers doing the CUDA, TBB, OPENCL and Metal backends so everything bar windows support on OpenSubdiv is done by Pixar staff at first.

https://graphics.pixar.com/opensubdiv/docs/intro.html Yes the final version of that paper is on the opensubdiv and the paper you quoted from is on that page.

Also note DX12 version of OpenSubdiv has never come and the code has not been updated fully to be ab;e use newer than Visual studio 2017 on windows. Yes the Linux and Mac OS versions have been updated to use newer compilers. Lot of ways OpenSubdiv on windows is bitrotting since the Charles Loop of Microsoft Research moved on other projects in 2017.

sophisticles this is a case where the Linux person is right. Pixar is a very Linux shop these days. Pixar is not past working with Microsoft and others to get newer technologies even if it means having to produce a Windows version or write only about the Windows version in the white paper and skips over the Linux and Mac OS supporting backends that existed at the time. Pixar all projects since 2006 they have been involved in once all the details come outs including how Pixar is using it turns out to be Linux and Mac OS backends they work on. But it is very easy to cherry pick white papers here and there that give a kind of appearance that Pixar are making what appears to be Windows only stuff in that time frame is proven false when the source code is released latter with full git histories of who did what and it gets worse when those Git histories also prove Pixar are not working on the windows versions.

Pixar must have a lot of Linux and a lot of Mac OS if the software they work on is to go by. Windows usage at Pixar for graphical work appears to be token machines at best and non existent at all with the worst possibility.

Of course Pixar is not the only studio out there.

sophisticles basically you found a nice false flag and fell for it hook line and sinker. Yes is a false flag that Pixar is willing to fly to get someone else to foot the R&D bill.

Leave a comment:

• sophisticles
    replied
    Originally posted by numasan View Post
    For you who still don't believe that Linux is used for highend digital content production, and would rather spout nonsense and look silly, maybe seeing is believing:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9ik...xarStudioTools

Our implementation uses DirectX 11 running under Windows 7. We used Direct Compute for GPU subdivision and the Direct3D 11 graphics pipeline to access the hardware tessellator. All GPU code was written in HLSL, and all timing measurements were made on a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 480.
    How does that taste?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X