Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by birdie View Post

Oh, really?
    Yes, really. I am from Arkansas originally, after all.
    I never said I am great at typing on mobile, hoewever.

Comment

• Originally posted by dragorth View Post

Yes, really. I am from Arkansas originally, after all.
      I never said I am great at typing on mobile, hoewever.
      Do you ever sleep?

Comment

• Originally posted by dragorth View Post

Yes, the goalpost did shift, by you. Did you forget this is about HDR on Linux? When has the Cad community cared about that? Notice you chose to take my reply in a way to fit your narrative, rather than in the context I wrote it in. That is on you for shifting the goalpost, or expanding the topic from what I specifically addressed.

If we were talking about LibreOffice implementing faster spreadsheet performance by writing OpenCL shaders, and I mentioned Microsoft had done something similar with Excel, you would have replied about Exchange Server and Windows.

That was the relevance of your post. And you don't see that, right?
        Bull. You stated, word for word that almost every Autodesk product runs on Linux. When it was clearly shown that the glaring majority of software produced and published by Autodesk do not, YOU shifted the goalposts by claiming that you were referring to only a specific segment.

Typical dishonesty as expected.
        Last edited by Sonadow; 21 September 2021, 11:35 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by coder View Post
          On my most heavily-used machine, the mean interval between bluescreens is just 9.2 days, over a period of about 1.5 years. As I said, I've run a variety of different hardware diags, updated drivers, gotten plenty of OS updates. The frequency would increase and decrease, and sometimes the distribution of different Stop Codes would shift, but there was never much consistency on that last point.
          I can't remember the last time I saw a non-hardware related BSOD, even back in the XP64 days non-hardware failure related BSODs were rare.

My experience has been that if Win7 and up bluescreened on a system then trying Linux on that system would end up with a hard lock / system freeze, a kernel panic or a Linux red screen of death, just in case anyone doesn't think such a thing exists:

After selecting boot from HDD in the UEFI boot manager, if you press "c" to go to grub command line then exit and attempt to boot again the system will RSOD.

Comment

• Originally posted by coder View Post
            This basically tells us nothing. You are suffering from confirmation bias, where you're searching for any little tidbit to support your point, rather than doing an unbiased survey to see what you can learn about their production environment.
            What I'm suffering from is know BS when I see it. Someone posted YouTube links that he claimed proved Pixar uses Red Hat, I followed the links and found other links in the description that took me to Pixar's website where they posted that paper.

Find me anything on Pixar's web site that flat out states their artists use Red Hat, or any Linux distro for that matter.

But this discussion arose because people made ridiculous claims:

1) That the film industry largely uses Linux; when that was challenged with facts the claim was changed to 3d rendering is done on Linux workstations, then the claim was refined to Pixar specifically, when I showed that according to Pixar they use a supercomputer for rendering the claims where changed again.

2) The claim was made that Linux is better with multi-GPU support and that Windows doesn't support multi-GPU all that well. This claim is so patently stupid it hurts, I was running a Voodoo 5 5500 on Win 98 Se over 20 years ago and the Voodoo 5 5500 is a dual GPU card.

Comment

• Originally posted by sophisticles View Post
              1) That the film industry largely uses Linux; when that was challenged with facts the claim was changed to 3d rendering is done on Linux workstations, then the claim was refined to Pixar specifically, when I showed that according to Pixar they use a supercomputer for rendering the claims where changed again.
              For details on the technology here see: http://graphics.pixar.com/ http://on-demand.gputechconf.com/siggraph/2016/video/sig1608-pol-jememias-dirk-van-geld...

There is presentation after presentation by pixar that shows what you just wrote is crap. 3d rendering is done on Linux super computes and Linux workstations and macos systems at Pixar. Yes that at a conference where the presenter does not have to use Linux. But here is the pixar person using gnome desktop and Linux todo his presentation.

Please note I said supercomputer and Linux workstations and macos systems. How is this possible it called render farm software. Render farm software means that you can make a computer screen saver that when active join processing resources of the workstation to the supercomputer cluster and yes disconnect from cluster as soon as a person starts using the machine.

Do note what I said you watch a video walkthough of pixar you will see 2/3 linux 1/3 macos. But its known that pixar uses some windows software. Of course in a walk though the place is normally without staff sitting at their machines so everything is joined to the render farm so of course all computers are in the mode to join the render farm. Windows in pixar if on bare metal will be dual boot to Linux but windows in VM also happens.

Pixar there is no such thing as a pure windows machine. Linux workstations are at Pixar and are in fact used as part of the used as part of the rendering solution. MacOS and Linux are your 3d and 2d rendering heavy lift machines. The fact windows does not make a good 3d rendering heavy lift does make usage at pixar discouraged. 0.001% extra performance in some cases can be talking a week difference in rendering time.

Pixar usage of Linux workstations is forced by the work they do. Windows network stack performance issues and connections limits is a serous issue when you want to connect a windows machine to a render farm and keep good performance. So being a effective 3d rendering node in a 3d rendering cluster is something desktop versions of windows is no good at.

sophisticles like it or not the claim that 3d rendering at pixar is done on Linux Workstations is true. But 3d rendering also done on MacOS and the Linux Supercomputer as well. This all about getting the most computing power you can for 3d rendering to reduce the number of days rendering takes and part of that is absorbing your workstations into your 3d processing pipeline in the highest performance way.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
                Bull. You stated, word for word that almost every Autodesk product runs on Linux. When it was clearly shown that the glaring majority of software produced and published by Autodesk do not, YOU shifted the goalposts by claiming that you were referring to only a specific segment.

Typical dishonesty as expected.
                OMG. What are you doing? I just want to hear, in your own words, what you are trying to do and why you think the internet needs you to do it.

The way I see it, dragorth was probably just thinking of the film/video production software, as clarified. If so, then the original statement was poorly worded. That's unfortunate, but no crime. It was fair for you to highlight the reality of Autodesk's Linux support, in case anyone got the wrong idea. However, now that the facts have been established and a claim of good faith was made by the OP, why not give the benefit of the doubt and let it go? What good can possibly come of trying to prosecute dragorth? Nobody cares and you just come off looking worse for it.

If you were talking face-to-face and someone made an inaccurate statement and then offered a qualification after you corrected them, would you continue haranguing them or just let it go? Perhaps I'm fortunate, but I don't personally know anyone who wouldn't just let it go.

Comment

I can't remember the last time I saw a non-hardware related BSOD, even back in the XP64 days non-hardware failure related BSODs were rare.
                  Yeah, I could probably count on one hand the number of Win 7 bluescreens I ever saw. I do tend to drag my feet on upgrades, so I didn't run it at home or work until it was pretty mature.

FWIW, I could also count on one hand the number of Linux kernel panics I ever saw. I've been using it at home & work since 2003, but not for gaming or anything bleeding edge.

Comment

when that was challenged with facts the claim was changed to 3d rendering is done on Linux workstations, then the claim was refined to Pixar specifically, when I showed that according to Pixar they use a supercomputer for rendering the claims where changed again.
                    Were any claims changed, or were specific and personal experiences offered, which will be fairly narrow by definition?

Originally posted by sophisticles View Post
                    2) The claim was made that Linux is better with multi-GPU support and that Windows doesn't support multi-GPU all that well. This claim is so patently stupid it hurts, I was running a Voodoo 5 5500 on Win 98 Se over 20 years ago and the Voodoo 5 5500 is a dual GPU card.
                    That's cool, but you'll probably be aware that 3D APIs have changed a great deal, since then. GPU-compute didn't even exist, in any meaningful way, back in 1998. So, if the claim specifically related to multi-GPU compute, then that's yet another thing, entirely.

Whatever the case, I haven't seen anyone state that Wayland finally getting HDR support is a bad thing. I don't currently run Wayland, but this would probably change my mind, if/when I have a HDR monitor.

Comment

So, Pixar supposedly uses RHEL for desktop workstations, its servers and its supercomputer, yet chooses to pay homage to Apple in its movies?

Right.
                      When I squint my eyes really hard, this almost looks like an argument.

Comment

Working...
                      X