Red Hat Is Hiring So Linux Can Finally Have Good HDR Display Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
    Even prosumer cameras and professional DSLRs shoot to JPEG as the default capture mode unless specifically instructed otherwise.
    Well, for at least a year, it seems that iPhones have defaulted to saving as HEIC:

Some high school students taking their AP exams online have run into serious trouble with the HEIC image format on the iPhone and the iPad, which...

Comment

• Originally posted by sophisticles View Post
      I would strongly disagree.
      Thanks for sharing your experience.

Originally posted by sophisticles View Post
      For me, the most impressive thing about Win 10 is its stability ...
      On my most heavily-used machine, the mean interval between bluescreens is just 9.2 days, over a period of about 1.5 years. As I said, I've run a variety of different hardware diags, updated drivers, gotten plenty of OS updates. The frequency would increase and decrease, and sometimes the distribution of different Stop Codes would shift, but there was never much consistency on that last point.

Comment

And the goalpost shifting starts. Right on cue.
        Are you this charming in person?

Seriously, when I saw your reply, I thought the exact same thing as what dragorth said. If you go through and look at just the products relevant to film & video production, most of them do support Linux, as claimed. It's fair to point out the claim might've simply been poorly worded, even if it was well-intentioned. I try to be fairly meticulous about my English usage, but not everyone is a native speaker.

It must be a sad, lonely world always to assume the worst about everyone.

Comment

• Originally posted by birdie View Post
          This image (30bit) looks the same in every tested mode, browser or application in Xorg/X11.

Under Windows you can see it as intended.

Neither mpv, nor ffplay can display 30bit videos either.
          Thanks for sharing these test images/videos.

Comment

Because I really enjoy proving that the Linux faithful can't even be honest with themselves let alone anyone else, from your first linked video:

https://graphics.pixar.com/library/G...ingA/paper.pdf

How does that taste?
            That's a research paper dated 2011-12-12, almost 10 years ago! And one of co-authors was from Microsoft Research:
            • Matthias Nießner - University of Erlangen-Nuremberg
            • Charles Loop - Microsoft Research
            • Mark Meyer and Tony DeRose - Pixar Animation Studios
            The platform some people use for algorithms research is very different than what the studio uses for its production environment.

This basically tells us nothing. You are suffering from confirmation bias, where you're searching for any little tidbit to support your point, rather than doing an unbiased survey to see what you can learn about their production environment.

Comment

So, Pixar supposedly uses RHEL for desktop workstations, its servers and its supercomputer, yet chooses to pay homage to Apple in its movies?

Right.
              Graphic artists just love Macs, for whatever reason. Even in the days before OS X, when it wouldn't be uncommon for them to crash a couple times per day, Macs were still the mainstay of the content creation industries. I couldn't explain it then, and I can't explain it now.

It's possible to love Macs and express that love, at least in part, on machines that are not Macs.

TBH, I don't even really understand why Macs are so popular among developers. Maybe these are the same types of people who buy fancy luxury cars.

Comment

So you're claiming that Pixar, spends $179 per pc RHEL license, then yanks out the default desktops and installs Mate, I don't know about anyone else, but I find it hard to believe. If you're going to do that why not start with Ubuntu Mate or Mint and save the $179 per pc?
                It's very important to have a consistent production environment. For all kinds of reasons, you wouldn't want to have a mix of Ubuntu + Redhat machines, if you could avoid it. Not only do they have different versions of many packages, but there are also differences in how certain packages are built & installed. This creates unnecessary headaches when developing and deploying software, within the organization.

Comment

And the goalpost shifting starts. Right on cue.

https://ibb.co/pRXFS6Z
                  Yes, the goalpost did shift, by you. Did you forget this is about HDR on Linux? When has the Cad community cared about that? Notice you chose to take my reply in a way to fit your narrative, rather than in the context I wrote it in. That is on you for shifting the goalpost, or expanding the topic from what I specifically addressed.

If we were talking about LibreOffice implementing faster spreadsheet performance by writing OpenCL shaders, and I mentioned Microsoft had done something similar with Excel, you would have replied about Exchange Server and Windows.

That was the relevance of your post. And you don't see that, right?

Comment

• Originally posted by coder View Post
                    Are you this charming in person?

Seriously, when I saw your reply, I thought the exact same thing as what dragorth said. If you go through and look at just the products relevant to film & video production, most of them do support Linux, as claimed. It's fair to point out the claim might've simply been poorly worded, even if it was well-intentioned. I try to be fairly meticulous about my English usage, but not everyone is a native speaker.

It must be a sad, lonely world always to assume the worst about everyone.
                    I have been a native English speak, as it is my only language, . I just assume people can read the context of the article, the post I replied to and the actual post I wrote. I don't know why, as in my almost 40 years, the internet has consistently proved me wrong about this, but I continue to try and hold people to that higher standard.

Thanks for defending me on this, too.

Comment

• Originally posted by dragorth View Post

I have been a native English speak, as it is my only language, . I just assume people can read the context of the article, the post I replied to and the actual post I wrote. I don't know why, as in my almost 40 years, the internet has consistently proved me wrong about this, but I continue to try and hold people to that higher standard.

Thanks for defending me on this, too.
                      Oh, really?

Comment

Working...
                      X