Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mdedetrich View Post
    I live in Germany, Linux is quite popular here
    Where? To my knowledge the only place where Linux gets uses is Munich but we're kicking back and forth probably eating a lot of taxes for this nonsense (from Windows to Linux back to Windows and while the mitigration is still a WIP thinking about going back to Linux... For example see https://www.golem.de/news/limux-muen...05-148303.html and https://www.br.de/nachrichten/netzwe...tartet,SEc9kVE ).

Comment

Originally posted by Artim View Post

I do to and this is nonsense. Schools, Universities, companies and at least 95 % of public domain is using Windows with no changes in sight.
      Great that the EU isn't as blind as German politicians, yet they say the same for years now and do little to nothing for changing that.
      You didn't actually read what I wrote. I did actually say that for public Germany is mainly windows but their use of Linux elsewhere (research/certain companies) its comparatively high (and I actually linked an EU article where they want to revert the whole Windows being used in public space).

Comment

FINALLY!

SO happy someone is finally stepping up to make this happen. Lack of HDR is the one thing my Kodi based media player is missing. Every few months I check to see how much progress has been made on adding support, even on the bleeding edge, and the answer has always none whatsoever

Comment

Not for color management they don't which is whats relevant here. If you are talking about studios here, they tend to use Linux for servers (no real surprise there), rendering farms or if they do use it for desktop its for graphics and not color touching.

Studios don't use Linux when they need to do color because Linux is absolutely terrible in this.
          Based on your comment I don't expect you to understand what this software does, its place in the industry and why/when it is used on Linux:
          Professional video editing, color correction, visual effects and audio post production all in a single application. Free and paid versions for Mac, Windows and Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by numasan View Post

Based on your comment I don't expect you to understand what this software does, its place in the industry and why/when it is used on Linux:
            https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/pro...resolve/studio
            I thought someone would bring this up without understanding how hacky/complicated it is to get running on Linux https://www.linuxuprising.com/2018/0...15-in.html?m=1 and it also has limitations.

Furthermore Davinci Resolve only started supporting Linux recently so claiming that in the industry people mainly run it with Linux just doesn't add up and is disingenuous.

If we are talking about tier 1 support for Davinci Resolve, you are gonna be running Windows/Mac, there is a reason why they only "support" a single distro. And if we are talking about this industry, it makes zero sense to switch to Linux later if something works fine on Mac/Windows currently.
            Last edited by mdedetrich; 18 September 2021, 09:50 AM.

Comment

Furthermore Davinci Resolve only started supporting Linux recently so claiming that in the industry people mainly run it with Linux just doesn't add up and is disingenuous
              Is over a decade "recently" in your mind? Your ignorance is so obvious it's baffling why you're commenting here. Talk about being disingenuous...

Comment

Originally posted by partcyborg View Post
                FINALLY!

SO happy someone is finally stepping up to make this happen. Lack of HDR is the one thing my Kodi based media player is missing. Every few months I check to see how much progress has been made on adding support, even on the bleeding edge, and the answer has always none whatsoever
                Most high-quality HDR content on the net is DRM-riddled films and Windows/console games. How are you going to apply it to your media player exactly?

Comment

Well it is not like Windows support for HDR is superb and without any issues.
                  A lot of old games would render incorrectly with HDR enabled, HDR enabled UI is lot slower which might be not noticeable on high-end hardware but easily spotted on ULV laptops.
                  Windows 11 should support AutoHDR which would enable HDR on supported display only if application running require HDR, and for now that would be best solution.
                  Last edited by blacknova; 18 September 2021, 11:44 AM.

Comment

And just the other day, people on here were raving about how Wayland and X11 already had great HDR support………

Comment

Originally posted by thxcv View Post

VW.OS is just the name of the infotainment system though. It is based on linux, just like most of the other infotainment systems from VW as well as BMW and Mercedes and many others. In the end they're just embedded systems so the chance is high it is based on linux, not matter the brand.
                      You sure about that? 'Cause BB claimed just a few months ago that VW, BMW and Mercedes are using QNX: https://blogs.blackberry.com/en/2021...llion-vehicles
                      Last edited by Vistaus; 18 September 2021, 11:52 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X