Red Hat Is Hiring So Linux Can Finally Have Good HDR Display Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by caligula View Post

I'm a bit confused. For instance Samsung Smart Monitor M5 S27AM500NR claims to be HDR10 capable, but only has 8-bit colors. My display has 8+2bit colors with dithering. I kind of assumed HDR means 8+2bit colors or native 10bit. For instance LG 27UL500-W is HDR10 & 8+2b capable. ASUS PB27UQ is one of the cheapest native 10bit displays.
    As whole all HDR specs are very confusing IMHO. But the main thing about HDR are not colors, I think 8bit per component is a way beyond most people can really distinguish on common hardware, the main things are brightness and contrast.

Comment

Originally posted by cjcox View Post

The only thing that comes to mind is "bad choice". RHEL? For desktop?
      That's not "some random gui" desktop, that needs to install the latest game or the latest version of firefox. Those are professional workstation that need to do one job and do it well. That's the purpouse of RHEL on the desktop.

and no, there are no better options.

Comment

Originally posted by blacknova View Post

As whole all HDR specs are very confusing IMHO. But the main thing about HDR are not colors, I think 8bit per component is a way beyond most people can really distinguish on common hardware, the main things are brightness and contrast.
        When contrast (or saturation in wide gamut case) exceed certain dynamic range, 8 bit will be insufficient and there will be banding when displaying gradient. Subtle details in highlight / shadow region will also be lost if old SDR / sRGB content is to be displayed in the same monitor with the "standard" brightness.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
          Then there are the Germans. They seem to love Linux. It wouldn't surprise me to see BMW or VW using Linux. Especially BMW. They partner with AMD from time to time...AMD embraces Linux. Just connecting dots.
          I wish....
          While that could be true for car infotainment systems, that's about it. Everywhere else we're way too far up MS' ass. Even though GDPR should have taught people better.

PS: VW.OS is based on Linux, but not sure how broadly that's used in the group
          Last edited by Artim; 18 September 2021, 03:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by blacknova View Post

Unfortunately this is less true the higher the contrast. So HDR's higher contrast actually creates some banding issues, which is why dithering is needed on 8-bit displays.

Comment

Originally posted by ChristianSchaller View Post

Actually almost all studios use Linux for the desktop.
              Not for color management they don't which is whats relevant here. If you are talking about studios here, they tend to use Linux for servers (no real surprise there), rendering farms or if they do use it for desktop its for graphics and not color touching.

Studios don't use Linux when they need to do color because Linux is absolutely terrible in this.
              Last edited by mdedetrich; 18 September 2021, 03:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Artim View Post
                I wish....
                While that could be true for car infotainment systems, that's about it. Everywhere else we're way too far up MS' ass. Even though GDPR should have taught people better.

I live in Germany, Linux is quite popular here even with the MS crap that happened in schools. The EU is actually reverting this and is now strongly going for OS in government https://digital-strategy.ec.europa.e...titiveness-and

Comment

Originally posted by mdedetrich View Post

I live in Germany, Linux is quite popular here even with the MS crap that happened in schools. The EU is actually reverting this and is now strongly going for OS in government https://digital-strategy.ec.europa.e...titiveness-and
                  I do to and this is nonsense. Schools, Universities, companies and at least 95 % of public domain is using Windows with no changes in sight.
                  Great that the EU isn't as blind as German politicians, yet they say the same for years now and do little to nothing for changing that.

Comment

What some people fail to understand is that even though desktop Linux marketshare in total is about 2.5%, that share it is not uniformly distributed over all different segments. In the segment of software engineering it is much much higher, about 25% if we go by Stackoverflows yearly developer survey (Mac about the same and Windows 45%). I see no reason why it should not be fairly accurate, it's seems to be a statistically sound survey. Also from my own experience as a software engineer at a major Telco company I can say that Linux is the primary development environment (yes, on the desktop). Sure, many run a Windows laptop but it's only like a dumb terminal where they login to their Linux workstation through Citrix where the actual work take place. Other people run Linux directly on their laptop, like myself. The tools used on Linux are expensive proprietary tools that run exclusively on Linux that will never have Windows support.
                    I also have several friends and family members working as software engineers in other companies and they also report the same, Linux is very common on the desktop, either running on a laptop or running as desktop in the cloud. The bottom line is that Linux on the desktop is not niche is same market segments. And going by the market share reported in Stackoverflows yearly surveys, it is clear that the trend is positive, Windows market share is slowly decreasing while Linux is slowly but steadily increasing.

EDIT:
                    Link to Stackoverflows developer survey for 2021:

In May 2021 over 80,000 developers told us how they learn and level up, which tools they’re using, and what they want.
                    Last edited by tomas; 18 September 2021, 07:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Artim View Post
                      I wish....

VW.OS is just the name of the infotainment system though. It is based on linux, just like most of the other infotainment systems from VW as well as BMW and Mercedes and many others. In the end they're just embedded systems so the chance is high it is based on linux, not matter the brand.

Comment

Working...
                      X